Sigur Rós - Takk relased today !!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ponkine

Refugee
Hola amigos :yes:

Waiting is over. Sigur Rós have released their 4th album titled "Takk" today :heart:. The sound of the overall album is more fresh and platonic than on ( ), and the band seem to be happy, the songs evoke memorable loss of words.
Here´s a review:wave:

Sigur Ros, Takk

The glacial Icelandic quartet discover pop and an inner beauty, to Ben Thompson's delight

A robe-free polyphonic spree, a depoliticised godspeed! You black emperor, a less unforgivably insipid talk talk, Mogwai with the heavy metal taken out, the cocteau twins trying to sound like Radiohead and not quite managing it, a castrati Pink Floyd performing Aled Jones's 'walking in the air' at a benefit gig for a reindeer which lost a leg in an unfortunate sledging accident.

The further you look in search of a historical precedent for the echoing vault at the centre of Sigur Rós's music, the more this Icelandic quartet seem to be defined by what they aren't, rather than what they are. But their fourth album, Takk - their first for EMI, each of this record's two independently distributed predecessors having sold more than half a million copies - is the sound of them looking into the heart of that absence and finding something beautiful there

Those who have so far been reluctant to board the Sigur Rós bandwagon tend to feel that their music bears the same relation to Björk's as Muse's does to Radiohead's, in that they make the kind of records which their more creatively restless precursor's less adventurous fans would have loved them to go on making. As opposed to all that crazy artistic stuff they decided to go and do instead. But with Takk, Sigur Rós have raised their game, to the extent that 'Glósóli"s euphoric power-surge and the Ice Age balladry of 'Hoppípola' tap into the same exquisitely modern sense of simultaneous connectedness and disconnection that Orbital defined when they titled 'Halcyon (and On and On)' after their mother's brand of tranquillizers

In a bold break with the self-conscious blankness of 2002's (), these 11 songs actually have titles and lyrics. More important than that, they eschew the stately meander that has been Sigur Rós's stock-in-trade for a bold commitment to the big pop chorus.

In the past, this group have sometimes exhibited an almost paranoid determination not to make demands on their listeners, but with this record they have started to make demands on themselves. Not in the way the final track on their last, stop-gap release (three songs for avant-garde choreographer Merce Cunningham to get people dancing to) suggested they might - by hiding Stanley knives in the frosted candy floss - but by tightening their happy-clappy focus so the euphoria generated by their music seems to relate directly to the world people actually live in, rather than some elvish fantasy realm.

Driving down the motorway as the sun goes down is one thing. But will Takk stand up to the ultimate road test? Will it still be able to conjure up euphoric snowscapes of the mind as a soundtrack to the consumption of a takeaway curry, parked in the forecourt of the budget Holiday Inn Express at the entrance to the Limehouse Link tunnel on a hot summer's evening? As the cosmic drama of 'Mílanó' unfolds, the fragrant aroma of pilau rice is momentarily forgotten, and the atmosphere crackles like morning hoar-frost beneath the heel of an ox-blood Dr Marten.

So I guess that's a yes, then.

portada_takk.jpg

I am just about to go out and buy it (I have already heard it, though, and it is awesome!)

Good Album. More upbeat and consistent than there previous stuff.

Have you seen the Video for Glosoli? It is amazing and has caused me to have that song stuck in my head for the past couple of days.

Hoodlem said:

Have you seen the Video for Glosoli? It is amazing and has caused me to have that song stuck in my head for the past couple of days.

Loved the video with the kids. Sigur Ros truly makes beautiful music.

definitely DO, dulce!

i think it's their best since 'agaetis byrjun'.

:up:

maybe this weekend I will go out and looking for this... (damn school)

I like ( ) but I agree with lmj

Sounds extremely good from what I've heard so far, but every time I hear the opening few seconds of the first track, I think 'Where the Streets Have No Name'!

Hoppipolla is a brilliant song, and the reprise of it an excellent touch too.

Great stuff. Long may it continue! Anyone know what they're like live? Am going to see them when they come to Dublin in November.

Can't wait to pick this up. Nice review. I am a sucker for 'the big pop chorus' and I like the sound of 'euphoric power surge.'

:hyper:'

The last 3 minutes of the track 9 truly drive me to tears :sad: I´m lost of words for this album, their most beautiful and touching ever.

I already downloaded it for free but soon I´ll buy it (it isn´t available at the moment here in Chile).

You can listen to it in its complete, just go to www.sigur-ros.co.uk

I´m so glad that this wonderful album is getting excellent reviews at www.amazon.com :heart:

a 5 stars average for a truly 5 stars album ;)
My favourite song is the track 9 - Andvari.

Peace :wave:

Fantastic album!

Much more consistent than their previous work...
It might be too soon to say this, but I believe they surpassed their best album, Agaetis Byrjun!
There isn't one weak track.

It's such a shame that I couldn't get tickets for their show here...

it is EXACTLY the same as ( )

what gives??

they have recycled everything.

Agaetis Byrjun is one million times better than the last two albums combined

Back
Top Bottom