Sightseeing - Most impressive monuments youve seen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ive been around the world, well about 12% of it

here is my list of most impressive monuments

10 trevi fountain - roma

9 the pantheon - roma

8 remnants of the berlin wall, berlin

7 the hagia sofia, istanbul

6 la sargarda familia - barcelona

IMG_2977.jpg

5 abu simbel temple, egypt

n764935704_925807_4130.jpg

4 the great pyramid of giza + the sphinx - giza, egypt

n764935704_925806_3876.jpg

3 the pyramid of saqqara, egypt

n764935704_925802_2834.jpg

2 the flavian amphitheatre - roma

IMG_3262.jpg

and the most impressive monument ive seen so far is:

al-Khazneh, aka the Treasury, Petra, Jordan

n764935704_926073_1289.jpg

most disappointing/ overrated monuments

Stonehenge - to quote what the metro said morning 'its just a pile of stones'
Big Ben - its a rusty old clock tower
Westminster Abbey
the eiffel tower - its just a rusty old tower
brandenburg gate - berlin - its nothing more than just a gate

:drool: Petra looks beautiful. I am itching for a trip, but unfortunately it is not happening any time soon. Hopefully next summer once school is over for the year.

Let's see. Off your list, I have seen:

All the Roma stuff, Remnants of Berlin Wall, Sagrada Familia, Great Pyramid of Giza and the Sphinx, Big Ben, Eiffel Tower...

Let's see. Other stuff I have pics of handy...

Casa Rosada in Argentina I got sick as hell that night :sick:

Opera House in Paris

Not amonument per se, but beautiful nonetheless: Cliffs of Moher

Macchu Picchu :drool:

Montezuma Castle Natiomal Monument

Chichen Itza and Tulum

Last edited:
I climbed El Castillo at Chichen Itza. That's about it.

Yosemite National Park (the most beautiful park in the world, IMO)

Stonehenge (I think it is AMAZING)

Edinburgh Castle & the Royal Mile -Scotland

Stirling Castle -Scotland

Conwy Castle -Wales

Westminster Abbey, Tower Bridge, Big Ben, Trafalgar Sq, Parliament, Windsor-London

Bath-England (Amazing minds those Romans had to build like that!)

CrashedCarDriver said:
ive been around the world, well about 12% of it

here is my list of most impressive monuments

10 trevi fountain - roma

9 the pantheon - roma

8 remnants of the berlin wall, berlin

7 the hagia sofia, istanbul

6 la sargarda familia - barcelona

:grumpy: I hate you

J/K:wink:

Miro,
Those are all great but the pic of you @ the Opera House is fantastic! I love the black & white instead of color. :drool:

(By the way, nice to see you around again. :up: :wave: )

Unfortunately, the most impressive monument that I've personally seen to date is one that I don't have photos of. It was an abandoned monastery in the hills above Cartegena, Colombia - peaceful and serene during the day & then breathtaking at night, looking out over the city. :love: I hope to 'add' to my monument collection next summer - Mr. Blu & I want to go to England & visit my brother, then FINALLY! do some traveling in Ireland. :drool: :drool:

Last edited:
In no particular order:

1. The Sphinx and Pyramids, Egypt

cairo_6.jpg

Look at the tiny figure at the very basement for scale:

cairo_1.jpg

2. Alhambra complex, Granada, Spain

granada_8.jpg

granada_17.jpg

3. Mezquita cathedral/mosque, Cordoba, Spain

cordoba_13.jpg

4. Roman Aqueduct, Segovia, Spain

segovia_13.jpg

5. Westminster Abbey, London

london14.jpg

6. For the pure WTF value, Bone Church in Kutna Hora, Czech Republic

kutnahora_8.jpg

kutnahora_2.jpg

7. St Isaac's Cathedral, St Petersburg, Russia
8. The Kremlin and Red Square, Moscow, Russia
9. Nikko shrine complex, Japan
10. Sydney Opera House, Australia

:ohmy:

That Bone Cathedral certainly elicits a WTF response!!!

From your list: Alhambra and the Acueducto in Segovia and Westminster.

And :wave: BluRmGrl I have been around, mostly lurking! :shifty:

baths at bath
stonehenge
westminster
the tower of london
the eiffel tower
sydney opera house
the big banana @ coffs harbour!!1
suvarnabhumi airport for being such an eyesore

Saracene said:
5. Westminster Abbey, London

london14.jpg

Been there! :D

I'm confused now, though. I took a picture of this exact doorway in August, and told everyone it was Westminster Abbey. We never went in, though, cos we were trying to see all of London in a day. :lmao:
Then, someone told me that was actually St Mary's church, which is right next door to Westminster Abbey. But we were walking around the city with a guy who knew London, so hopefully he knew that it was Westminster... help?? :confused:

For myself, on my very limited six-week trip to the UK and the US, my top picks are probably Stonehenge (I loved it!), and Kilauea in Hawaii. And everything else in between... :lol:

IMG_6090.jpg

Tintagel castle, Cornwall:
P8120297sml.jpg

A window inside St. Giles cathedral, Edinburgh:
P8180433sml.jpg

Kilauea crater (maybe not technically a monument) :
P8120077sml.jpg

Don't have my pics of Edinburgh Castle or London online yet.

All your photos are amazing... there are so many incredible places in the world. :up:

Prob. great wall of China, and the glaciers near Calafate, Argentina + Ushuaia, southernmost city in the world. Not exactly a monument, but took my breath away even more than the pyramids. :hyper:

I am dying to go to Petra though! :drool:

ETA: The glaciers are my avatar (David Gray's Life in Slow Motion)

1stepcloser said:
i went there when i was younger, how strange. i didn't expect to see this pop up in a thread full of world famous monuments!
I guess Tintagel might not be up there with the Great Wall of China, or the Pyramids, or all those really famous places... but I'm only a beginning world traveller, and I found it impressive. :yes: The view from the top of the island is breathtaking, too.

In regards to Stonehenge being "just a pile of rocks"... pretty much everything is (just) a pile of rocks, when you get down to it. :wink:

from a u2 point of view

moydrum castle, athlone, in county westmeath, Ireland

commonly mistaken to be slane castle

IMG_1067.jpg

in response to tintagel castle, i often thought Urquhart Castle on Loch Ness, Scotland was castle to categorise in the same type of castle, ie castle ruins :huh:

IMG_1355.jpg

Last edited:
Angela Harlem said:

the big banana @ coffs harbour!!

LMAO!! I can beat that - the big orange at Waikerie in SA ;)

Seriously tho, I haven't done a huge amount of travelling, but i have to say the most gorgeous thing I've ever seen was the New York Skyline at night, the night I arrived there.:)

I have (almost) climbed Uluru (I got a bit freaked out near the top!!) which was pretty spectacular.

The Lincoln Monument in Washington DC was pretty impressive, tho all I could think of was that episode of The Simpsons where Lisa is talking to Lincoln in the monument. :)

And, yes, on a sunny day, Sydney Harbour is STUNNING!!!!

Last edited:
inmyplace13 said:
I climbed El Castillo at Chichen Itza. That's about it.

I agree and me too climbed to the top of the thing and it was hell getting down!!!

I thought the most impressive thing was I got up there at all!

Most impressive was going to the top of the volcano where the public was allow...Mt. Tiede.

Traveling by camel in the Canary Islands. Spectacular!

Alisaura said:

I'm confused now, though. I took a picture of this exact doorway in August, and told everyone it was Westminster Abbey. We never went in, though, cos we were trying to see all of London in a day. :lmao:
Then, someone told me that was actually St Mary's church, which is right next door to Westminster Abbey. But we were walking around the city with a guy who knew London, so hopefully he knew that it was Westminster... help?? :confused:

That's Westminster Abbey. It's the side that's sort of in a little square, off the road. There's another side that's in a lot of photographs as well (the side with the two tall towers), so that maybe why the person was confused. St. Margaret's is the little church next to Westminster Abbey (it would be to the photographer's left in the picture above).

Wow, how cool that y'all have gotten to travel so much. I'm jealous.

I'd have to rank the Cristo (Christ the Redemptor) in Rio, Brasil up there at the top of the list.

And Dun Aengus on Inishmore (Ireland).

Chartres Cathedral in France.

And, although not a monument, the purple mountains of Western Montana at sunset in late summer are probably the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

meegannie said:
That's Westminster Abbey. It's the side that's sort of in a little square, off the road. There's another side that's in a lot of photographs as well (the side with the two tall towers), so that maybe why the person was confused. St. Margaret's is the little church next to Westminster Abbey (it would be to the photographer's left in the picture above).

Ah right... we must have walked past St. Margaret's before we got to that bit of Westminster. Thanks for the info! Nice to know I haven't been misinforming people :wink:

Back
Top Bottom