Sightseeing - Most impressive monuments youve seen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Sad Punk said:

Obviously you haven't seen "Larry the Lobster" at Kingston in SA.

big_lobster.jpg

:love: :combust: :adam:

I can't believe no-ones mentioned the giant Ram. c'mon people, it's balls are the size of a car.:applaud: :camera:

if the giant ram is the one at the vienna world at either mittagong or goulburn, then i've seen it (who can remember town names at 3am pittstops?). vienna world being the truck stop where all the greyhounds and fireflies stop when you're taking the cheap route from sydney to melbourne by road.
:uhoh:

on further thought, if this is the big merino, then this is what i'm referring to, and i saw it on some nighttime trip down to melbourne for one of those sojourns we've all done and then wonder why we bothered.

:love: the big merino :love:

we have a big yabby!! wow. when i retire, i'm doing a tour of australia's "big things". i'll get the abc to follow me (to fund it) and make a pointless doco about it.
:drool:

dlmoose1bp0.jpg

I've had the urge to mount this moose, but I've always resisted. I think it's just a matter of time.

Seriously, people love big things...the biggest burger, the biggest tower. People can be really strange. :wink:

As far as the most 'beautiful' monuments go, churches and cathedrals, as mentioned, can be pretty spectacular. I always marvel at the attention to detail in so many of them. I did an architecture course in England a few years back where we were taken on tour to many of the standouts. At times, it felt so special to be in them, with all the stained glass, hidden rooms, and spiral staircases...like living monuments to history.

I think La Louvre in Paris is beautiful. I like the contrast between the glass pyramide and the rest.

This was also in Paris but I can't remember the name of this building:
Very beautiful.

Too bad I haven't been in Rome yet, though I've been in Italy pretty much by now, but never been to the capital, just outside of it on my way to the airport.

But I loved Firenze as a whole.

I DEF have to read this thread - no time now...........

if you're talking natural Monuments..

I've been to Monument Valley in north Arizona :drool: :drool:

:wink:

i assume you're talking human created............

:hmm:

well..... i live in nyc so "The :heart: Twins" {Towers} really did become monumental to me b/c as an artist and nature lover thier plain facade but at such heights really reflected all manner of sky/cloud & sunlight colors.............
they really could look amazing wonderous!!!
and Lady Liberty is quite the gal!

Love the The Arch in St Loius! that ALSO does an beautiful sky/light/cloud reflection thing!

I really wanted to visit the Aricebo Radio Telescope {featured in the moive "Contact"} when i got a chance to visit Puerto Rico............
but i don't do winding moutain roads well,even in -like New England (USA). So i had to give THAT one up!:(

while it dosen't qualify b/c it's a whole slew of biuldings/monuments ~~
the National Mall in Washington DCV is a very moving place. Luckily I've strolled it a number of times.:love:

the monuments around the world I'd love to see the most......
:hmm:

OK, not hard........:wink:

1- The Pyramids
2- The Eiffel Tower
3- The Blue Mosque {Istambu, Turkey}
4- and perhaps The Tal Mahal

looking foward to reading your lists soon :hyper:

Last edited:
The Blue Mosque in Istanbul is the most beautiful building I've ever seen. Hagia Sofia is impressive, too. Ephesus is amazing. I went to Turkey in May 2006.

I can't think of a specific monument, however, the Grand Canyon was the most incredible thing I have ever seen in my life. Beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom