Shuttlecrab! Part XV - Sweet the shell, butter the taste in my mouth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PFan, you never put the No Net cover on the official site:

nonet.jpg

Getting back to music, and Shuttlecrab in particular, I'm thinking about finally burning a preferred track order. I never would have done this in the 90's, but I think the decision making in the band has reached this level of compromise that I don't agree with, so I don't feel blasphemous in taking matters into my own hands.

I know there's a thread for this in Where the Asshats Have A Name, but I'd rather share it here.

If you don't like Winter, you're probably going to have issues with this. And while I would never suggest the track is currently perfect, I don't think it has more problems than a couple other songs that made the cut. My main issue was finding a way to give Cock Crazy a place on the album where it doesn't disrupt the very dense flow on the first "side".

A side note, whenever I mess with an album like this, I do try to stay as close to the original as possible, as I feel that bands (even SC) do tend to have a pretty good idea of what they're doing.

So here goes:

NO NET ON THE HORIZON

1. No Net on the Horizon
2. Magnificock
3. Moment of Service
4. Unknown Partner
5. Winner
--
6. Get on Your Cocks
7. Stand Up Cock
8. Cock Crazy
9. Cock--Being Engorged
10. White as Talcum
11. Serve
12. Courts of Lebanon

While there are five songs on "side one" and seven are on "side two" keep in mind that they're almost the same running time (29.3 min and 30.6 min, respectively).

The placement of Winner was chosen because I thought track 5 should be something denser than what we have on the official release, and the epic nature of the song (while MOS is longer, it doesn't have the same build-up or ebb and flow that gives Winner the feeling of being a "journey") makes it an ideal side closer.

One could put Cock Crazy in between GOYC and SUC, but I like the mellower track being the one that leads into C--BE. And this running order manages to preserve the flow of the first and last four songs on the album, which most people seem to think are very strong.

If anyone has any feedback on this, let me know.

It gets rid of the rough SUC > Fez transition, which is good. I'll try it sometime. Right now I'm going to try to get four and a half hours sleep.

'Cuse won in six OTs.

Also, I'll add that any running orders that put Cock--Being Engorged before GOYC are retarded, why the hell would you sample a song the listener hasn't even heard yet? Don't get that at all. Especially the ones with that song opening the album, about the least-inviting track 1 imaginable.

There's an extended intro MP3? Can I get a link to that please?

Laz, I like the tracklist. I'll probably end up making one sooner or later, but definitely by the time Songs of Crabscent comes out.

Also, Pfan, my "Last Cock on Earth" song isn't on the website.

I haven't watched that yet, but I have it on DVR to watch tonight.

Reason #45, 987 why I need DVR.

I'm thinking of switching cable providers because one sent me a flier saying I could have free basic for a year with the purchase of internet. :hmm:

And I hope it doesn't expire until after tickets go on sale, because I am not switching internet providers so close to presale dates. :nerd:

Okay, my Amazon UK box arrived today!

Only problem--I forgot which corner the little yellow Best Buy price tag goes on! Lower left or lower right??

Anyway, the bar code IS the same, but if you look very closely at the small type on the back, the one from Best Buy says "Made in the US" and the Amazon UK one says "Made in the EU". So it should scan correctly, but whoever winds up getting this off the shelf is going to have a DVD problem.

Oh well.

If you use the extended intro MP3, I think GOYB works as an opener.

I don't like it as an opener at all. Because I would give a false sense of what the majority of this album sounds like. The title track, on the other hand, works so well because it's got this turbulent yet hypnotic feel to it. With GOYC you're just throwing some flashy stuff up front and I think it cheapens everything.

And I say this as someone who likes GOYC a lot.

For some reason I read that as, "I love how hookers are already selling tix on eBay.".

I am now disappointed.

You never know. Lance's Mom has been at this so long I'm sure she's branched out to the interwebs by this point.

I think her reserve price would probably be somewhere around $3.50, or you could probably just "Fuck It Now" for $6.00.

Back
Top Bottom