Shuttlecock XXXII: I know it was you, Bono. You broke my heart.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm reading The Omnivore's Dilemma, and I'm up to the section about the slaughtering of the animals that end up as our food.

I put the book down until tomorrow, because I'm really craving a cheeseburger for dinner.

An incredibly inappropriate, and yet incredibly delicious cheeseburger.

I've made mention of this before:

I've seen and read so many horror stories regarding the meat and meat packing industry, and almost every time I go eat a burger right after. I just don't give a shit. That's probably stupid of me but it is what it is.

Prime Rib tastes mmmmmm good.

Yeah, knowing me and my eating habits, this isn't going to turn me vegetarian or anything. But I'd prefer not to have thoughts of slaughterhouses fresh in my mind as I go to eat a delicious, delicious burger.

So far, what I've taken from the book (I'm halfway through) is that we're all becoming bascially corn chips with legs. Corn and corn by-products are in EVERYTHING, it seems like. It's creeping me out a little.

And? What was it like?

I think I'm going to go out for a burger tomorrow night. I want to have popcorn with a movie tonight, and if I have a burger for dinner, I won't be hungry for popcorn.

so Memphis and i went out today to see if there were any clothes that we needed to own and didn't already, and maybe i was going to buy the Rose Bowl DVD. you know, if we had time to swing by Best Buy.

we came home with, yes, some new clothes, but also a Blu Ray player, new speakers, and the Rose Bowl on Blu Ray.

i said god DAMN.

it's all been very "i was was blind but now i see."

i'm glad U2 popped my BR cherry. and what a great concert on the whole.

i have moments when i think i'm over them. and then they do something awesome, like dare to continue to be awesome, which is the whole point of 360, that "hey, we're still awesome, watch us be awesome, i refuse to be old and boring, we're going to be awesome and do things that no one else will do like put on tours that fucking kick ass and have lights and a fog machine and that's basically inhabit the spaceship from the "Scream" video."

so good for you, Boner. if you had to throw out your back, i'm glad it was for this and not for humpin' the Edge's mom.

now, onto more Mad Men.

so good for you, Boner. if you had to throw out your back, i'm glad it was for this and not for humpin' the Edge's mom

:lol:

Glad it was a satisfying experience.

I'm going to have popcorn for dinner. I have a recipe that calls for garlic and parmesan cheese to be tossed in with the butter. :drool:

now, onto more Mad Men.

Also splendid on Blu Ray. I watched the first two seasons as they aired in standard def, then the third season on Blu last month. There's no other way to watch this show. How far are you?

How far are you?

we just gave birth to Don's third child, Eugene.

so middle of Season 3.

we're watching on standard def, but the difference in watching standard def on a BR vs. a regular DVD (that was, like, from 1999) is gigantic.

i love this show. it does everything -- acting, writing, lighting, art direction -- right.

I'm finding most of it really interesting - I've had to do a little skimming here and there when some of the deep sciencey details started to make my eyes glaze over, but overall so far, it's a really interesting read.

I watched Food Inc a few weeks back. I believe it covers much of the same territory as The Omnivore's Dilemma... might even been somewhat based on it. You should check it out after you're finished reading

Yeah, that's in my Netflix queue - I'm expecting it to be very similar. Is it US-focused? The book (so far) is.

I read Fast Food Nation some years ago, and that was eye-opening as well (and full of gross slaughterhouse things that almost turned me vegetarian).

The Corporation is another good documentary that has some segments about the food industry. I don't remember the exact information that made me do it (something about growth hormones, I'm sure), but after watching that, I switched to organic milk.

Which lasts a lot longer in my fridge anyway, so hey!

Ya, Food Inc is focused on the US. I often wonder how much of what they talk about applies to the Canadian industries.
Theres a whole section in the documentary about genetically modified corn and how the patent owners are muscling smaller farmers out of business when they cross pollinate. I had no idea these things were going on. it's fascinating
I'll check out The Corporation

Yeah, the whole corn thing is a big part of this book, too. It's fascinating and aggravating.

Yeah, I've been hearing more and more these days about the downsides of soy. I like edamame when I go out for sushi, and will occasionally have a soy chai tea latte ( :drool: ), but that's about it.

I figure if Fast Food Nation didn't turn me off red meat forever, I'm okay. Although my digestive system seems to be a little stranger these past few years. It seems to be more sensitive to some things than it used to, and red meat is one of them.

Ground beef in casseroles, or hamburgers? No problem. But a plain old cut of meat, like a good steak? I can't seem to do that anymore. I get a gutache, and sometimes just the act of chewing the meat makes me feel sick, like I'm having a mental reaction to chewing meat.

Yeah, I'm weird. But this should come to no surprise to any of you. ;)

I'm so glad I'm not lactose intolerant, too. It makes me want to cry, just thinking about it.

The older I get, the weirder the digestion as well. But, a steak goes in, and digests beautifully with no problems. Thank God, because I love it. :drool:

Of course, it's karmically a huge problem for me, but I'd rather be well-fed than perfect this time around.

Thank God also for Lactaid and the Target copy of it. I'm going to go have a grilled cheese sandwich made with horseradish cheddar right now. I'll need three Lactaids to get through that. :shifty:

And thus, we have the omnivore's dilemma. :wink:

I'm going to try and be more mindful about what processed food I stuff in my face, which will go a long way to make me eat healthier, too. Bonus! We'll see how it goes.

Bread is my downfall when it comes to "things I eat too much of."

My god, bread.

Bread, my love.

When I die, I want to go out in a blaze of carbohydrate glory.

:drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom