Shuttlecock XXVII: To Returned Cocks We Run!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldn't call arguably the best song on HTDAAB an embarassment, but that's just me.

1. The Joshua Tree
2. Achtung Baby
3. Boy
4. The Unforgettable Fire
5. No Line on the Horizon
6. October
7. Zooropa
8. Pop
9. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
10. War
11. Rattle and Hum
12. All That You Can't Leave Behind

My album rankings are probably the consensus in reverse, so I won't get into those, but...

ATYCLB is definitely right at the bottom, along with October. Everything else is a good distance ahead. TUF, AB, and Boy continue to grow on me in a major way with each passing year.

the only song i love off atylcb isn't even on the official release.

at least i like a song on the original pressing of hutdab, but....yeah. atyclb does nothing for me. i became a fan during that era of u2, but they have their 90s work to thank for that.

Guess who just bitchslapped his first official college paper? I did. Take that, establishment.

Feels good, doesn't it? And it will feel even better when they pass it back to you and there's a nice A or B + on the top of the page.

1. Achtung
2. J. Tree
3. Pop
4. Unforgettable Fiyah
5. ATYCLB
6. War
7. Zooropa
8. HTDAAB
9. Boy

I don't count any of the other ones, really.

Since all the "cool" people are doing it:

1. The Joshua Tree
2. Zooropa
3. Achtung Baby
4. All That You Can't Leave Behind
5. The Unforgettable Fire
6. Boy
7. Rattle and Hum
8. Pop
9. War
10. October
11. No Line on the Horizon
12. Atomic Shit Bomb

1. achtung baby
2. the unforgettable fire
3. pop
4. passengers
5. no line on the horizon
6. zooropa
7. the joshua tree
8. boy
9. october
10. war
11. rattle and hum
12. how to dismantle an atomic bomb
13. all that you can't leave behind

Feels good, doesn't it? And it will feel even better when they pass it back to you and there's a nice A or B + on the top of the page.

1. Achtung
2. J. Tree
3. Pop
4. Unforgettable Fiyah
5. ATYCLB
6. War
7. Zooropa
8. HTDAAB
9. Boy

I don't count any of the other ones, really.

My teacher sent me an email with comments and a grade. 94 is a solid A. I'll take it.

1. Achtung Baby
2. The Joshua Tree
3. The Unforgettable Fire
4. Boy
5. Zooropa
6. Pop
7. October
(Passengers)
8. Rattle and Hum
9. No Line on the Horizon
10. All That You Can't Leave Behind
11. War
12. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

The top 2 are pretty fixed, and I dig pretty much everything down to Behind, which is spotty. War is pretty hit-or-miss for me as well, and The Bomb is at the bottom for some personal reasons besides the obvious ones.

You still can't get over the emotional scars from Squirtigo?

Not just emotional.

But yeah, it's all tied into a pre-Lady Friend girl who's not only batshit insane, but also goes here, too. And I see her all of the time. Fantastic.

Vertigo was all about the BEADS, man.

BEES?!

I missed a lot... um, I like Pop it's one of my favs but it's not one of U2's "best" albums imo... I like ATYCLB more than Atomic Bomb but only slightly.

the loss of UC from the set pisses me off because it is an awesome song and replacing it with tired ATYCLB material is weak sauce. :down:

My favs in order:

1. Achtung Baby
2. The Joshua Tree
3. Pop
4. Zooropa
5. The Unforgettable Fire
6. No Line on the Horizon
(Passengers)
7. All That You Can't Leave Behind
8. Boy
9. War
10. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
11. October
12. Rattle and Hum

1. Achtung Baby
  2. The Unforgettable Fire
  3. No Line On The Horizon
  4. Zooropa
  5. Pop
  6. Passengers: Original Soundtracks 1
  7. The Joshua Tree
  8. All That You Can't Leave Behind
  9. Boy
  10. War
  11. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
  12. October
  13. Rattle & Hum

Why is R&H so low on everyone's list? :reject:

It's a schizophrenic album. I'd dig it more if the studio and live tracks were separated, and if some of the live tracks selected weren't poor as hell ("Pride," "All Along the Watchtower," the version of "I Still Haven't Found..." on here).

It functions more as a soundtrack than as an actual album, which bothers me. The Beatles were able to release Help!, Hard Day's Night, and Magical Mystery Tour in conjunction with their respective films and the albums still had a feeling of completion to it. MMT's inclusion on that list may be debatable, but I'd consider it a full-on project.

my studio only version of R&H:

1. Hawkmoon 269
  2. Van Diemen's Land (no fade)
  3. Desire
  4. God Part II
  5. Heartland
  6. Angel Of Harlem
  7. Hallelujah Here She Comes
  8. When Love Comes To Town
  9. Love Rescue Me
  10. A Room At The Heartbreak Hotel
  11. All I Want Is You

Thanks for that LMP :up:

Hawkmoon 269 :love:

No problem. And that's not to say I don't adore a good chunk of songs off of that album. "All I Want Is You" is in my Top 10 U2 tracks; "Hawkmoon," "Desire," and "When Love Comes to Town" are favorites as well.

i like the gospel version, though it does get a bit much at the end.

AIWIY is an all-time defining SC classic.

AOH is great. the rest are moderately interesting, but decidedly second tier, imho. people blame 00's for being middle of the road, but that's what most of R&H is. at least they greatly improved their cover of AATW by the new year's 1990 dublin concerts where it's awesome sauce.

i don't quite get the TUF love here. it feels like half a great album, and it does create that otherworldly feel that you get with JT, AB, and NLOTH, but i can't handle Pride anymore, and i vastly prefer live Bad to studio bad. ASOH is fantastic, as is TUF, and i enjoy W and ISS, but they sound a bit dated to me.

the other one that doesn't quite fly with me is Pop. so, D is fun, live, but DYFL is better, and Mofo is great live, not so on the album. IGWSHA is lovely, and SATS is gorgeous, and G is the best song on the album. but i think LNOE is way weak sauce, M and TPM don't get where they want to go, IYWTVD is a mess, P is great live and better on the album than on the bullshit single, WUDM is just ... i don't know. i have no strong feelings one way or the other.

Back
Top Bottom