Shuttlecock XXVII: To Returned Cocks We Run!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And I think it's kind of a given that most people here when making setlist gripes are talking die-hard disappointment and are not talking about the broad-ranging "casual fan."

This sounds like something that belongs in EYKIW, and I do hope you were being sarcastic. Mean how, exactly? Perhaps for us, but I'm sure the majority of people in that stadium that are casual U2 fans thought it was an absolutely fantastic show. Especially since most of them had no idea what would be played tonight. :shrug:

oh, i was kidding! i was going to make a someone from raleigh must have run over bono's cat joke to make it really clear, but i got lazy.

And I think it's kind of a given that most people here when making setlist gripes are talking die-hard disappointment and are not talking about the broad-ranging "casual fan."

so yeah, that.

I will even go so far as to say:

If they're going to make
dropping UC
a permanent thing, they should replace it with
something else from NLOTH. ...... EVEN STAND UP COMEDY.

There, I said it.

This sounds like something that belongs in EYKIW, and I do hope you were being sarcastic. Mean how, exactly? Perhaps for us, but I'm sure the majority of people in that stadium that are casual U2 fans thought it was an absolutely fantastic show. Especially since most of them had no idea what would be played tonight. :shrug:

My former faux fiance has a point, but yeah, if I were a die hard fan from Raleigh I'd start making plans to travel around next tour. :wink:

My kitty barely even sleeps on the bed when I'm there. Sometimes I'll wake up in the middle of the night and she'll be there, but as soon as I roll over to pet her, she runs away. :(

If it makes you feel any better, sometimes she'll be lying next to me and I'll go to pet her and she'll turn all satanic on me and bite my wrist.

Do you dare me to make a sign for Vegas that says:

Oh Bono, why hast thou forsaken Unknown Caller????

Fuck All That You Can't Leave Behind.
Their shittiest album by far, and they roll with FIVE? Shit.

Phew. I'm glad, because I don't think there are any more places on this board that I can avoid going into to avoid insanity.

not to worry. i mean, it's inevitable the casual fans would have enjoyed the show, but like cori said, most of us here speak for the die-hard fans (who, might i add with a huge helping of self-aware over-entitlement, deserve more than what we get).

Do you dare me to make a sign for Vegas that says:

Oh Bono, why hast thou forsaken Unknown Caller????

dare you? i'll buy you the paper and the sharpies.

I always find the casual fan argument perplexing, but that's just me. I think U2 could do so much more to honor their catalogue, while at the same time giving casual crowds the songs and show they'll enjoy.

I think so, too. Although it's pretty obvious that their fan base is so broad that they're never going to be able to please everyone.

For every fan that gripes about so few songs from the new album, there's a casual fan that gripes that they "play too many new songs, where was New Year's Day / I Will Follow / Mysterious Ways?"

I always find the casual fan argument perplexing, but that's just me. I think U2 could do so much more to honor their catalogue, while at the same time giving casual crowds the songs and show they'll enjoy.

Oh, I completely agree. At the same time, though, I notice quite a few people asking questions like, "What's the name of that song?", to older tunes like, The Unforgettable Fire, for example.

Maybe I'm missing your point, but I have no problem with the casual fans not knowing every song. They get a buttload of the old hits they want to hear, they can "suffer" through a handful they might not recognize.

I feel very happy to have gone to 6 Vertigo shows and not gotten the acoustic encore at any of them!
lucky you! i saw one and didn't just get the acoustic encore, i got it the last time they ever played it. oh well, the two chicago 360 shows more than made up for it. :)

I will even go so far as to say:

If they're going to make
dropping UC
a permanent thing, they should replace it with
something else from NLOTH. ...... EVEN STAND UP COMEDY.

There, I said it.
i agree.

I think so, too. Although it's pretty obvious that their fan base is so broad that they're never going to be able to please everyone.

For every fan that gripes about so few songs from the new album, there's a casual fan that gripes that they "play too many new songs, where was New Year's Day / I Will Follow / Mysterious Ways?"

And they always play it safe and try to appease the casual fan before the diehard, which is disappointing.

while this is true, they did just fine earlier in the tour without those songs - and as much as i hate to agree with someone we don't mention in this thread, even alternating something mysterious ways with even better than the real thing and applying this to several tracks, most people are still going to go home happy. didn't seem like many people missed that song after chicago 2.

Maybe I'm missing your point, but I have no problem with the casual fans not knowing every song. They get a buttload of the old hits they want to hear, they can "suffer" through a handful they might not recognize.

exactly. when i go see a band where i don't know the entire back catalogue i expect there might be several songs i don't recognise. are people that stupid that they can't handle that at a u2 show, or are u2 trying to avoid that situation in the first place?

i agree.

especially since i actually really like that song

exactly. for example, 11 o'clock tick tock is always well-received. maybe 1-2% of the venue even knows the song, but everyone still goes crazy.

To Coolian:

Ew! :tsk:

Actually, my deep dark secret from Chicago is:

I almost bought the tank top that said "Stand up to rock stars," just because even though I hate the song, I think that's a great line to have on a tee shirt.

Ditto the thoughts on Crazy Tonight. I've always liked Boots, even though it's out of place on the album.

exactly. when i go see a band where i don't know the entire back catalogue i expect there might be several songs i don't recognise. are people that stupid that they can't handle that at a u2 show, or are u2 trying to avoid that situation in the first place?

My favorite thing in a review by a casual fan is when they say something like, "They played too many songs from the new album, which wasn't very good." Oh, so you didn't like it, so they shouldn't play songs off the album THIS TOUR IS FUCKING SUPPORTING. Good logic, fuckface.

I dunno. I'd still go see a band I generally liked even if I didn't care for their latest album. I just wouldn't be surprised to hear a lot of songs from it, and I definitely wouldn't gripe about it.

exactly. i know me saying them playing five songs from atyclb is ridiculous, but even if they played five songs from achtung baby i'd think that's a bit much. granted i wouldn't be complaining as much, but i'd rather them represent their back catalogue a bit more evenly. and as for nloth songs, it should be 6-8 songs every night.

Ah, gotcha.

Don't mind me - I'm not 100% tonight. I'm a little cranky, a little tired, a little sad, a little grouchy. And a little bored.

To Coolian:

Ew! :tsk:

Actually, my deep dark secret from Chicago is:

I almost bought the tank top that said "Stand up to rock stars," just because even though I hate the song, I think that's a great line to have on a tee shirt.

i'm sorry, i'm a sucker for mildly funky guitar!

the only songs off the album i don't really like are boots since it's so out of place, and crazy tonight because the live remix has spoiled me now.

same here, although i like boots.

Ditto the thoughts on Crazy Tonight. I've always liked Boots, even though it's out of place on the album.

that's my only problem with it too.

My favorite thing in a review by a casual fan is when they say something like, "They played too many songs from the new album, which wasn't very good." Oh, so you didn't like it, so they shouldn't play songs off the album THIS TOUR IS FUCKING SUPPORTING. Good logic, fuckface.

can't avoid stupid people. i just wish u2 didn't cater to them so much. although my problem isn't so much with the presence (or lack thereof) of the newer songs, but the fact that everything else could be rotated with the casual fan not missing out on much.

I think "Zero" by Yeah Yeah Yeahs is probably my favorite pop song of the year. Fuck yes.

Zero's awesome, but Heads Will Roll is awesomer for me.

I was so surprised when I heard that album - I haven't really liked anything I'd heard by YYY's before, but had heard enough good buzz to check out the new one. I was amazed by how much I loved most of the songs on first listen.

Back
Top Bottom