Shuttlecock XXII: Summer of Laz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My peak obsession years were from 92-95.. the early 2000s were fun, too. But man, was I obsessed with them at such a pivotal time in my teenage years. It’s just weird now. I’m 41 now. That could have something to do with it. I don’t find most of the material released over the last 5 years terrible at all. I just feel ambivalent towards the band these days. I do admire their drive.

My peak obsession years were from 92-95.. the early 2000s were fun, too. But man, was I obsessed with them at such a pivotal time in my teenage years. It’s just weird now. I’m 41 now. That could have something to do with it. I don’t find most of the material released over the last 5 years terrible at all. I just feel ambivalent towards the band these days. I do admire their drive.

I think age is part of it. I’m almost 38 and while I absolutely love their last two albums, I didn’t have that same feeling as when Pop was released. With that said, I don’t think I’m capable of becoming upset asked with the band or even music in general like I was back when I was a teenager. Between work, kids, a crazy ex, and everything else, there’s just a lot more noise in my life to aaccount for.

What I like about listening to the older stuff is that aside from the fact that the material holds up, I’m transported back to being a teenager in my bedroom listening to U2 with headphones on among other memories associated with that time.

Even if they play Bad one out of every three shows, that'd be something different enough to get me interested again. I always listen to more U2 when they're doing something interesting live. My fandom is currently in a coma waiting to be jump started.

Then again this morning, I got a sudden urge to listen to live Dirty Day, then got annoyed that it was only played ten times 25 years ago. This band.

Hahahaha now three shows in the same city and the only change is ABOY for Red Flag Day on the second night.

Can't wait for night four to get ABOY again and nothing else.

Why bother.

I think age is part of it. I’m almost 38 and while I absolutely love their last two albums, I didn’t have that same feeling as when Pop was released. With that said, I don’t think I’m capable of becoming upset asked with the band or even music in general like I was back when I was a teenager. Between work, kids, a crazy ex, and everything else, there’s just a lot more noise in my life to aaccount for.
Sames.

I don't really have the time to bury myself in new artists to try and find something else that's inspiring the way U2 have been, so we're stuck with each other for better or worse.

but it's "omg entitlement or what" if you're spending hundreds of dollars to see multiple shows and are hoping for more than one song difference between shows, apparently.

Imagine how broken you have to be to be legit thrilled that the band did one single rotation across four entire shows.

Imagine how broken you have to be to be legit thrilled that the band did one single rotation across four entire shows.
Ah come off it

I obviously would love to see the band give up their TIGHT NARRATIVE and rotate things. But this isn't a secret, what they're doing. Anyone who at this point is attending multiple shows shocked and disappointed at the lack of rotation is a moron.

If you're still going to multiple shows and don't care? Good for you.

Considering how little this band has left, as much as I wish they'd mix it up, I enjoyed the shit out of the shows I attended. I probably had as much fun at the three shows I attended as I've ever had at U2 shows.

It's possible to be disappointed in their approach, while still being appreciative that they're still around.

Given you'd have bought tickets before the tour began? Yeah I'd be pissed off if I had bought tickets to all four nights, figuring the diversity would be like every other arena tour ever.

Ah come off it

I obviously would love to see the band give up their TIGHT NARRATIVE and rotate things. But this isn't a secret, what they're doing. Anyone who at this point is attending multiple shows shocked and disappointed at the lack of rotation is a moron.

If you're still going to multiple shows and don't care? Good for you.

Considering how little this band has left, as much as I wish they'd mix it up, I enjoyed the shit out of the shows I attended. I probably had as much fun at the three shows I attended as I've ever had at U2 shows.

It's possible to be disappointed in their approach, while still being appreciative that they're still around.

This all sounds well and good, but then why the fuck are they rehearsing 3-4 other songs that still haven’t show up yet? If not on a 4-night stand, then when?

Maybe they're saving them for a one-off show in a tiny venue with a heap of awesome guests where you can only get in if you've got hundreds of disposable income and enough time on your hands to ring a radio station once every 10 minutes.

I agree with this. It’s okay for things not to be black or white, either/or. Am I glad I went to the Vegas e+i tour? Yes. Am I salty that they cut Red Flag Day from the show I saw? Also yes.

Yeah, it was great hearing it. A nice surprise!
Though funny enough, during Summer Of Love or so I was thinking that, even though the set is structured so much, I really enjoy the songs and the flow. And subsequently was really enjoying Pride again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom