Shuttlecock XXII: Summer of Laz - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2018, 09:16 AM   #121
The Male

Local Time: 11:58 AM
Dropping SATS for Summer of Love removes one of the only politically resonant moments of the show in favor of a fine but not great deep cut from SOE. Granted, that segment wouldn't have resonated in Europe, but Please with new footage would have been a big improvement. Throwing out Pop altogether is lame.

But hey, at least American Soul is where it belongs.

Old 09-01-2018, 09:24 AM   #122
45:33

Local Time: 06:58 AM
Dropping American Soul for NYD improves the set immeasurably, but your point that Please could have replaced SATS has just made me angry at the band all over again for being so stupid.

This is the first time in my U2 fandom where I just really don't give a shit because of how uninspired the sets are and the fact that it's likely they'll never tour here again it's sad

Old 09-01-2018, 01:56 PM   #123
Blue Crack Supplier

Well, I'm in the minority in not hating American Soul, but even many of its detractors have commented that it really rocked live.

So I don't know how big the improvement is when you still have the godawful Get Out being played, or the anemic Best Thing instead of a great pop song like The Showman.
Old 09-01-2018, 03:57 PM   #124
Refugee

Local Time: 12:58 PM
So this thing with Bono's voice is really not good
Old 09-01-2018, 04:50 PM   #125
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:58 PM
Fuck. I planned to go to that show.
Old 09-01-2018, 05:14 PM   #126
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:58 PM
Was PFan in attendance?
Old 09-01-2018, 05:21 PM   #127
Blue Crack Distributor

Homecoming was next on the setlist
Old 09-01-2018, 05:25 PM   #128
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

On the one hand, I feel tremendously and selfishly relieved. On the other...

I hope Bono's OK.

But seriously, it sucks for those who are there and especially for those who have travelled to see the show. Interestingly enough, something similar happened to Eddie Vedder's voice in London this year when Pearl Jam had two concerts there to play. 2nd show was also cancelled.

These guys are not getting younger.
Old 09-01-2018, 08:01 PM   #129
ONE
love, blood, life

Yeah, that sucks.
Old 09-01-2018, 08:04 PM   #130
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by djerdap View Post
On the one hand, I feel tremendously and selfishly relieved. On the other...

I hope Bono's OK.

But seriously, it sucks for those who are there and especially for those who have travelled to see the show. Interestingly enough, something similar happened to Eddie Vedder's voice in London this year when Pearl Jam had two concerts there to play. 2nd show was also cancelled.

These guys are not getting younger.
They're not, but sudden bouts of laryngitis happen to 20 year olds, too.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:14 PM   #131
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Lights of Home seems highly demanding on Bono's voice. Hope he doesn't feel the pressure to keep performing as he is if he's not feeling comfortable.
Old 09-02-2018, 03:49 AM   #132
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
They're not, but sudden bouts of laryngitis happen to 20 year olds, too.
Sure they do, but in this case, we're talking about two singers - both known smokers and drinkers (or ex-smokers, have no idea how Bono is doing here) who are not really famous for taking care of their voice - who have cancelled shows for the first time in their careers for losing it (both had voice issues in the past during shows, but managed to soldier on 'til the end). Age certainly comes into play.

On the other hand, the panic routine that goes into certain fans ("The setlist will be changed!", "They'll cancel the tour!", "It's over for Larry after this!") without any information to confirm these claims is always amusing. Vedder was up and running only three days after the cancelled show (saw the band in Padova and he sounded pretty good for 2018 standards). Let's hope the same happens in this case.
Old 09-02-2018, 03:55 AM   #133
Vocal parasite

Wow, couldn't believe it when I woke up this morning and saw the show got canned partway through. Be interesting to see how quickly Bono recovers, and if it really was just excessive use of the smoke machine or something more serious.

Should've sent Edge out to sing a few songs. Would've been the best setlist of the tour.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-02-2018, 04:15 AM   #134
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:58 AM
Send Larry out to cover Dirty Old Town a few dozen times and you've got the rest of your show right there.
Old 09-02-2018, 05:22 AM   #135
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by djerdap View Post
Sure they do, but in this case, we're talking about two singers - both known smokers and drinkers (or ex-smokers, have no idea how Bono is doing here) who are not really famous for taking care of their voice - who have cancelled shows for the first time in their careers for losing it (both had voice issues in the past during shows, but managed to soldier on 'til the end). Age certainly comes into play.

On the other hand, the panic routine that goes into certain fans ("The setlist will be changed!", "They'll cancel the tour!", "It's over for Larry after this!") without any information to confirm these claims is always amusing. Vedder was up and running only three days after the cancelled show (saw the band in Padova and he sounded pretty good for 2018 standards). Let's hope the same happens in this case.
Yea... and in Vedder's case he simply got a bug and lost his voice. It wasn't age related at all.

As for Bono, who knows. But I don't get why everyone needs to automatically jump to conclusions that it's age, related to his health issues, or something more sinister.

Maybe dude just got a bug from hanging around too many unwashed GA line folks.
Old 09-02-2018, 06:35 AM   #136
45:33

Seen a lot of comments like 'scary' which seems a massive overreaction. There's nothing remotely scary about it. It sucks, and it's sad, but it's hardly 'scary', like the bike incident or this bloody life-threatening thing they keep dancing around.

I think djerdap's point was more they aren't getting any younger so it would suck if you came all the way out for a show and they had to cancel... because they're getting on and there might not be many more shows.
Old 09-02-2018, 07:13 AM   #137
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
I think djerdap's point was more they aren't getting any younger so it would suck if you came all the way out for a show and they had to cancel... because they're getting on and there might not be many more shows.
Yes, thank you. As bands get older, chances get fewer to see them and stuff like this may happen more often.
Old 09-02-2018, 07:23 AM   #138
Blue Crack Distributor

Well on that, sure - I've been saying that since 360.

Guess I lumped your posts in with the ehrrmagahhhd buuner's gunna dyyeeeee posts. Sorry.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:55 PM   #139
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Should've sent Edge out to sing a few songs. Would've been the best setlist of the tour.
Seconds
Numb
Corpse (These Chains Are Too Long) - snippets: "Chain of Fools" by Aretha Franklin, "Back on the Chain Gang" by The Pretenders, "Hey" by The Pixies
Van Diemen's Land
Sunday Bloody Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
Maybe dude just got a bug from hanging around too many unwashed GA line folks.
Or the glory holes at Berghain. Not everyone is like Lance's Mom and has all that pre-existing international bacteria in their mouth to fight off so many random intrusions.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:57 PM   #140
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Adele had to cancel a concert here in Phoenix because of her voice. I really think it can happen to anyone who sings.