Shuttlecock XXII: Summer of Laz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
not played, exact same setlist as always :|

It depends on how you define "always". While there's no variation with their previous full show, that was the only time that setlist was played.
They usually rehearse/soundcheck new additions a couple of times before introducing them. Or not at all (like with Drowning Man on the 360 Tour :| ).

I think, given everything, we've now moved into the elongated heat death of U2. Their entropy is increasing and as a result more and more they are going to take fewer risks, following the path of least resistance. Since the start of JT30, I think we're looking at static sets from here on out.

I mean that’s cool but
we got it on 360, and I’d rather see something from Pop.

Yeah my initial reaction was kinda similar, then it occurred to me that 360 was 8-9 years ago now, and songs coming back after that long felt like a big deal in 2001 or 2005.

Wonder where UF would go in the set. Rotate with NYD perhaps? Doesn't seem like it'd give the same big moment though, much as I adore it.

Yeah my initial reaction was kinda similar, then it occurred to me that 360 was 8-9 years ago now, and songs coming back after that long felt like a big deal in 2001 or 2005.

Wonder where UF would go in the set. Rotate with NYD perhaps? Doesn't seem like it'd give the same big moment though, much as I adore it.

I could see them reprising one or both of UF into COBL from 2009 or Zooropa into COBL from 2011, with NYD being a placeholder for now until they work it out.

I think, given everything, we've now moved into the elongated heat death of U2. Their entropy is increasing and as a result more and more they are going to take fewer risks, following the path of least resistance. Since the start of JT30, I think we're looking at static sets from here on out.

The static setlists are unfortunate, but let's not jump the gun and assume this is the way it is from here on out. They've constructed a narrative for this tour that locked them in and made things more rigid than usual, so if they do tour again I don't know why we'd assume it will be the same.

And we're also looking at a tour that has Acrobat being played every night, a hardcore fan's dream come true, and certainly a "risk" of sorts.

Like their recent studio albums, the tours are a mixed bag. 360 gave us Ultraviolet and Your Blue Room, but the pacing and song order wasn't optimum. I don't know why it's suddenly time to sound the alarm.

Imagine being in a band that thinks rotating Red Flag Day with ABOY is a good way to satisfy fans who see multiple shows.

So that's why this tour feels like it's gone on forever

Oh as much shitty and underserved press they got, nothing will beat that day when they announced it and boom, I was listening to the new album minutes later.

artsbeat-u2-tmagArticle.jpg

:|

They deserved all of it just for that unbelievably awkward "high one".

The idea was great. The execution wasn’t. Apple really deserved the backlash.

Well yeah, giving away an album to all iTunes users was a great idea. Playing a glorified corporate seminar and getting all chummy on stage with the CEO of one of the world's biggest companies while you're talking about punk rock all the time was terrible optics, even without the whole forced download aspect that pissed everyone off.

Maybe if they'd put their mediocre album out on all itunes accounts, but made it sound like one of their people did some kind of hack, and have Tim Cook indignantly protest this breach of security...

The idea was great. The execution wasn’t. Apple really deserved the backlash.
There isn't a chance in hell U2 didn't know that it would be pushed to everyone.

The execution was the problem - if it was just something for free that you had to to get yourself, like they did with Invisible just a few months earlier? Completely different conversations would be had about this album and the band.

Having it automatically in your library whether you wanted it to be or not was incredibly stupid, and they've never truly recovered from that.

There isn't a chance in hell U2 didn't know that it would be pushed to everyone.

The execution was the problem - if it was just something for free that you had to to get yourself, like they did with Invisible just a few months earlier? Completely different conversations would be had about this album and the band.

Having it automatically in your library whether you wanted it to be or not was incredibly stupid, and they've never truly recovered from that.

I’ve always wondered if it was an oversight of how Apple’s process worked. I’ve always turned automatic downloads off because I prefer to choose when and where something downloads. I just wonder if in theory, the idea was that anyone could choose to go to iTunes and download the album and hadn’t realized that people would essentially be stuck with it.

I’ve always wondered if it was an oversight of how Apple’s process worked. I’ve always turned automatic downloads off because I prefer to choose when and where something downloads. I just wonder if in theory, the idea was that anyone could choose to go to iTunes and download the album and hadn’t realized that people would essentially be stuck with it.
It was placed in everyone's library. That was intentional.

Apple did free releases before Songs of Innocence. They did it with Invisible in February.

There's no way they didn't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom