Shuttlecock XXII: Summer of Laz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think anything after Pop would be in my Top 10 either, but nor would anything before TUF.

Funnily enough, despite the fact I now probably rate Boy above UF as my favourite U2 album, this is almost true for me too. New Year's Day is the one pre-UF certainty.

11 O'clock Tick Tock is there if live versions count. Treasure sometimes snags ninth or tenth. I think I usually end up placing Gloria, Twilight, and The Electric Co. in the 11th to 15th range.

Electric Co., New Year's Day and Drowning Man would have claims, not sure if any would make it in though. Might have to give it a whirl soon.

So for the Record Store Day on Black Friday, U2 is releasing a 12” featuring a new mix of Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill with Gavin Friday and Régine from Arcade Fire.

There will also be a newly remastered version of the HMTMKMKM that appeared on the 1990-2000 Best Of.

There has been more good conversation here in the past 24 hours, than in the forum that is actually dedicated for this type of conversation over the past 24 months!

Determining a top 10 for this century is challenging. Mine would likely be NLOTH heavy, with one-off appearances from other albums. Moment of Surrender is in my overall top ten, such is my adoration for it.

For years I've been in the habit of saying - mainly to myself - that Moment of Surrender was The Last Great U2 Song, although I do not think that NLOTH is a great or even very good album. Mostly its aesthetic is more appealing than other 2000s work, but it's too half-arsed and compromised... except for Moment of Surrender.

Still inclined that way.

Last edited:
If we're reaching for possible Top Tens pre-The Unforgettable Fire, I have a massive amount of time for Surrender. I'd rate it over New Years Day, easily. Better than Drowning Man? Maybe not, but something about it connects more, for me.

Would it actually make a top ten of all time, probably not. I think very little outside of the decade bracketed by The Unforgettable Fire, and Passengers, would have a shot. But it's got a better chance than any other early song, for me.

I’m pretty sure this is my top five. Hasn’t really changed in a decade.

Running to Stand Still
Where the Streets Have No Name
With or Without You
Until the End of the World
Bad

They never do change much, after a while. Except when they do (only two of the songs in this list could be called fixtures)

Until The End of The World
Lemon
One Tree Hill/Streets
Bad
So Cruel

My top 10 include the following:

New Year’s Day
Like A Song
A Sort Of Homecoming
Pride
The Unforgettable Fire
Bad
With Or Without You
Heartland
All I Want Is You
Acrobat

Funnily enough, despite the fact I now probably rate Boy above UF as my favourite U2 album, this is almost true for me too. New Year's Day is the one pre-UF certainty.

11 O'clock Tick Tock is there if live versions count. Treasure sometimes snags ninth or tenth. I think I usually end up placing Gloria, Twilight, and The Electric Co. in the 11th to 15th range.

I’m legitimately surprised as I thought half your 10 would be from the first 3 albums.

I’m pretty sure this is my top five. Hasn’t really changed in a decade.

Running to Stand Still
Where the Streets Have No Name
With or Without You
Until the End of the World
Bad

Who said anything about a Top 5?

You people don’t know how to spell or count.

from pre-UF songs:

i will follow
gloria
sunday bloody sunday
an cat dubh/into the heart
new year's day
out of control
drowning man
tomorrow
october
surrender
fire
shadows and tall trees

seems like a classic album to me.

1. I Will Follow
2. Twilight
3. An Cat Dubh
4. Into the Heart
5. Out of Control
6. Stories for Boys
7. The Ocean
8. A Day Without Me
9. Another Time, Another Place
10. The Electric Co.
11. Shadows and Tall Trees

Seems like a classic album to me

If I were making a 12 song album from pre-Unforgettable Fire songs, it’d go something like this:

1. Gloria
2. I Will Follow
3. New Year’s Day
4. Like A Song
5. Rejoice
6. Out Of Control
7. Tomorrow
8. Drowning Man
9. Sunday Bloody Sunday
10. An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart
11. Surrender
12. October

1. I Will Follow
2. Twilight
3. An Cat Dubh
4. Into the Heart
5. Out of Control
6. Stories for Boys
7. The Ocean
8. A Day Without Me
9. Another Time, Another Place
10. The Electric Co.
11. Shadows and Tall Trees

Seems like a classic album to me

LM wins this round.

minor spoiler for the new season of big mouth (netflix show):

in the finale, maury is asked if he still has "that laser dick" to cut a lock, so he grabs his bag of dicks and pulls out a can-opener dick, a cool ranch dick, and then a "dick that looks like u2's the edge" before grabbing the laser dick:

xRPcQGj.jpg

i was thisclose to making an avatar out of that but thought better of it while i was cropping the image :lol:

in the finale, maury is asked if he still has "that laser dick" to cut a lock, so he grabs his bag of dicks and pulls out a can-opener dick, a cool ranch dick, and then a "dick that looks like u2's the edge" before grabbing the laser dick:

xRPcQGj.jpg

i was thisclose to making an avatar out of that but thought better of it while i was cropping the image [emoji38]
[emoji813]

xRPcQGj.jpg

i was thisclose to making an avatar out of that but thought better of it while i was cropping the image :lol:

It's not The Edge...its his brother.

Here she comes
Lady luck again
Figure of eight
Six and nine again
Myyyyy
Myyyyyy
My dick that looks like U2's Edge

xRPcQGj.jpg

Edge's Les Paul Custom has black pick guard instead of white so that's inaccurate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom