Shuttlecock XXII: Adam is British

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked The Ocean as "hey, that's an obscure song - cool!" but that's about it. It's a nice song, and I don't dislike it, but I wasn't dying to hear it.

I'm going to guess Dying Man would get the same reaction from me if I hear it.

Bruce brought Patti up in stage for a couple verses too.

I'd say that makes it a bit less awesome, but that's just me.

It didn't really sweeten or kill the deal any either way personally. Just another body up on stage. But it did happen.

I approve of the return of Until the End of the World and Bad, two of my three favorite U2 songs ever, as well as doing some legitimate shake-ups with the setlist.

I disapprove of dropping Unforgettable Fire, adding Elevation, and continuing to do an acoustic set. And of One and With or Without You continuing to be butchered into oblivion.

This was easily my favorite part of the show last tour as well.

Well, it would have been if they hadn't brought Bruce on stage for a 10-minute People Get Ready during the encore.

That's right.

That performance was awesome, I had a close friend who was at that show and filmed that whole thing. Fucking badass. The Patti thing was cool if only for Bono's interactions with her.

Drowning, Cori. Drowning.

The Ocean is actually another song I love that I really wish I would have had a chance to hear. I really like that general period of most of my long time favorite bands (U2, REM, The Cure, etc). I think that's where bands just cant win though. If they do bring out some "cool old tracks for the fans", other fans are annoyed that's the song they played. :shrug:

Drowning, Cori. Drowning.

The Ocean is actually another song I love that I really wish I would have had a chance to hear. I really like that general period of most of my long time favorite bands (U2, REM, The Cure, etc). I think that's where bands just cant win though. If they do bring out some "cool old tracks for the fans", other fans are annoyed that's the song they played. :shrug:

I liked hearing the Ocean now and then last tour.

I don't give a damn about casual fans if they're playing 10 hits (or, more commonly, closer to 15) in a night. I had to sit through The Who playing 10 straight tracks from their new album for the first time ever in the middle of the set (and it sounded completely unrehearsed) and still enjoyed myself.

I personally would MUCH rather hear old tracks like that than Bad or Where the Streets Have No Name for the billionth time personally, but I can understand where your average person going to one of their shows thinks it's REQUIRED they play something like that. I remember one of my friends complaining for weeks that they didn't play With or Without You here during the Elevation tour (while I was thinking to myself that I had next to no interest whatsoever in hearing that song live ever again).

The other good thing is that The Ocean is less than two minutes long, so it really shouldn't bug anybody that it's getting played.

Meanwhile, in other news, the Fightin's go for their tenth straight win tonight behind the pitching of Heavy B.

I don't give a damn about casual fans if they're playing 10 hits (or, more commonly, closer to 15) in a night. I had to sit through The Who playing 10 straight tracks from their new album for the first time ever in the middle of the set (and it sounded completely unrehearsed) and still enjoyed myself.

What, or who, do you give a damn about, Dan? Anything? Anyone? Or are we all just puppets you want to control as you saunter your way through life?

I personally would MUCH rather hear old tracks like that than Bad or Where the Streets Have No Name for the billionth time personally, but I can understand where your average person going to one of their shows thinks it's REQUIRED they play something like that. I remember one of my friends complaining for weeks that they didn't play With or Without You here during the Elevation tour (while I was thinking to myself that I had next to no interest whatsoever in hearing that song live ever again).

Streets is the one song I wait for in a concert. For me, anything before or after that moment is inconsequential as to what they play or in what order. It's all about that intro for me, and going absolutely bananas.

I think there are only four songs they really should play at every show, and that's only cause they ALWAYS bring it: New Year's Day, Bad, Streets, and Until the End of the World. They rotate a few other famous hits in and out of the set, play some cuts off the new album, and then have a nice covering of the rest of their career with the remaining 8 or so open spots.

Until tonight, they'd played 30 songs in 10 shows. That's just laziness. I understand the video screen argument a little bit (not really that much), but plenty of the songs are just the video screen displaying the band playing. If they want to mix it up a little bit, they don't have to have crazy effects for every single song. They open up the show with Breathe, and there's not much going on there. What's the big deal? You have your effects on, you know, Unforgettable Fire and everything, and you move on.

What, or who, do you give a damn about, Dan? Anything? Anyone? Or are we all just puppets you want to control as you saunter your way through life?

I don't care at all about casual fans being a little bored by songs they don't know when half of the set can be found on a greatest hits album.

And I don't care about you because I lack a soul. SEPTA should have taken you while it had the chance.

Meh. I didn't dislike it I just didn't find it interesting. I find Drowning Man to be okay but I'm not one of those, "I like a rarity just for rarity's sake." I like what I like and I don't like something more or less just because it has or hasn't been played live before.

ETA: I'm not saying people are like this in this thread, but over there, in the Other Place, some mos def are.

If they brought back 11 O'Clock Tick Tock and played it at a normal tempo (i.e.: not like those pre-Elevation versions), that would probably be up there with the best possible experiences at a U2 show. That song was an absolute killer track live.

I disliked Unknown Caller and first, but have been coming around on it. The instrumentation is good, even though the guitar solo (like all of NLOTH's guitar solos) is underwhelming.

I don't think half of the band can move fast enough to play most of these songs at their "original tempo" night after night, Phillester. Seriously though, they're old. They'd probably look lame trying to play the song like that, or it just wouldn't sound good. It's one thing for a young band to come out and play something at a blistering pace, it's another thing for a bunch of old guys to come out and just try to keep up.

I actually really liked the Astoria (or wherever it was) Elevation-promo show version of 11 O'clock. At least I remember liking it, haven't heard it in ages.

I don't think half of the band can move fast enough to play most of these songs at their "original tempo" night after night, Phillester. Seriously though, they're old. They'd probably look lame trying to play the song like that, or it just wouldn't sound good.

I actually really liked the Astoria (or wherever it was) Elevation-promo show version of 11 O'clock. At least I remember liking it, haven't heard it in ages.

Boots is faster than any of their old songs.

NSW - How did they do the organ and horns of UC live? Did they track it or jsut leave it out?

Maybe you should put the answer to this in a spoiler tag...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom