Shuttlecock XXI: Laz is Bigger Than Anyone in His Way - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2018, 06:38 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:43 AM
Shuttlecock XXI: Laz is Bigger Than Anyone in His Way

With no apologies to redhill for the title....

carry on....

Old 05-03-2018, 06:43 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:43 PM
When you think Laz titles are done
They've just begun

Old 05-03-2018, 06:44 AM   #3
The Male

Local Time: 12:43 AM
The Laz of Home

Now.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:46 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
The Laz of Home
If it was closer to June I'd have gone with Summer of Laz. That'll be up next.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:50 AM   #5
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
If it was closer to June I'd have gone with Summer of Laz. That'll be up next.
A whole fucking summer of that guy? No wonder the board is clearing out.

Now.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:54 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

It was supposed to be the summer of George....the summer of George.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:56 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
It was supposed to be the summer of George....the summer of George.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:56 AM   #8
45:33

I had to sleep on this arsehole's couch for four nights. I really didn't want a reminder he exists every time I come in here.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:01 AM   #9
Blue Crack Supplier

Two in a row! Suck it, Cobbler.

Looking at that second set, aside from the song that isn't being consistently put in spoiler tags, I could honestly skip that whole thing. Overplayed standards, the three worst songs on the new album by far, and the insult of hearing

Pop's least experimental track, and on top of it the indignity of doing it acoustic so who cares? I mean look at it:

Elevation
Vertigo
Desire
Acrobat
You're The Best Thing About Me (acoustic)
Staring At The Sun (B&E, acoustic)
Pride
Get Out Of Your Own Way
American Soul
City Of Blinding Lights

The encore has a nice treat and Love is Bigger finishes the show strong, but honestly, you have to be a real Other Place apologist to think this second half is acceptable.

Now again, if they change it up once they hit cities that already got i&e in 2015, we can reevaluate. I'd imagine at least 2 of RBW/Cedarwood/Iris would get dropped (Song For Someone stays cuz thematics), and hopefully we see another SOE track like Red Flag Day, even a legit Pop or Zooropa selection.

Or maybe they just add Mysterious Ways and In A Little While.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:06 AM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

I'm going to try and avoid hearing/watching videos of the great white whale song until I see them in Boston. I know its there, but I hope to hear it live for the first time in person. We'll see how I do with that.
7 weeks.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:09 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

While the set list isn't really one that I would compile for my own pleasure, it has its fair share of curveballs that I certainly wasn't anticipating a month ago.

I love that.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:18 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post

Two in a row! Suck it, Cobbler.

Looking at that second set, aside from the song that isn't being consistently put in spoiler tags, I could honestly skip that whole thing. Overplayed standards, the three worst songs on the new album by far, and the insult of hearing

Pop's least experimental track, and on top of it the indignity of doing it acoustic so who cares? I mean look at it:

Elevation
Vertigo
Desire
Acrobat
You're The Best Thing About Me (acoustic)
Staring At The Sun (B&E, acoustic)
Pride
Get Out Of Your Own Way
American Soul
City Of Blinding Lights

The encore has a nice treat and Love is Bigger finishes the show strong, but honestly, you have to be a real Other Place apologist to think this second half is acceptable.

Now again, if they change it up once they hit cities that already got i&e in 2015, we can reevaluate. I'd imagine at least 2 of RBW/Cedarwood/Iris would get dropped (Song For Someone stays cuz thematics), and hopefully we see another SOE track like Red Flag Day, even a legit Pop or Zooropa selection.

Or maybe they just add Mysterious Ways and In A Little While.

For me it's:

They played 2 of my top 7 SOE songs. Next is Love is All We Have Left which is mostly pre-recorded, and Lights of Home. Then apart from The Showman, which they rehearsed but didn't play, the bottom four songs were all played.

Playing not a single JT song is a bold move, but maybe not playing Beautiful Day, Vertigo and Elevation would be even bolder.

Pop and Zooropa are self-explanatory. I want to acknowledge that they finally finally played a Pop song, but they chose the absolute bare minimum approach possible.

If the last six songs of set one remain the same as I/E three years ago in cities where they've already played them, that'll be a bit lazy.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:34 AM   #13
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
How the absolute fuck is Fuck Off Own Way in ambivalent and not fuck right off?!
I'm honestly amazed by how vehemently you hate it. It's a nothing of a song. It stirs up only apathy in me. I couldn't care less if they play GOOYOW or don't. I'd rather something else be there in the setlist, but it doesn't personally offend me like some absolute utter fuming shit like Blurst Thing or American Mole does. Bono, shut up ya mole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by intedomine View Post
While the set list isn't really one that I would compile for my own pleasure, it has its fair share of curveballs that I certainly wasn't anticipating a month ago.

I love that.

They might be curveballs, but apart from Acrobat, they're not exactly ones anybody was clamouring for. Who the fuck ever wanted to hear ABOY ever again? It's not exactly been a common feature of fan requests, and it has maybe the worst intro in U2 history. I can but hope it doesn't last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabigon View Post

For me it's:

They played 2 of my top 7 SOE songs. Next is Love is All We Have Left which is mostly pre-recorded, and Lights of Home. Then apart from The Showman, which they rehearsed but didn't play, the bottom four songs were all played.

Playing not a single JT song is a bold move, but maybe not playing Beautiful Day, Vertigo and Elevation would be even bolder.

Pop and Zooropa are self-explanatory. I want to acknowledge that they finally finally played a Pop song, but they chose the absolute bare minimum approach possible.

If the last six songs of set one remain the same as I/E three years ago in cities where they've already played them, that'll be a bit lazy.

Also, THEY HAVE NEVER PLAYED A SINGLE JT SONG IN TULSA. The previous tour is such a fucking stupid reason to drop JT completely - especially when a bunch of the other nightly features are still there. Do they think people who went to JT30 don't want to hear Streets or any of the other ten again but do want to hear Beautiful Day, Elevation, etc.? Either literally play NOTHING from 2017, or whack a couple of JT tracks in the sets.

And I'm surprised that The Showman isn't in the set after how extensively it was rehearsed, though I'm also relieved. I reckon it's pretty damn likely that it'll rotate into the e-stage set, take the place of SATS or something.

I should be a bit more grateful about acoustic SATS, because they could just not do a Pop song or they could've inflicted IGWSHA on everyone. But... fuck it's so lazy and unimaginative. "Oh the people want Pop do they? Let's give them a performance and a song as distant from the bold brilliance of that album as we possibly can!" Though at least it has the word "intransigence", which shows a vocabulary at least twice as broad as the one used on Songs of Love Thing Way.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-03-2018, 07:50 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

That they think Staring at the Sun is the Pop song people really want to hear further confirms how they are such poor judges of their own talent.

I'm with everyone that things that setlist is pretty meh. If Acrobat and WGRYWH survive, I'll be happy to see my one show. If they are dropped, I'm not sure there would be much to go for, considering how many times I've seen them in the last few years.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:51 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Shuttlecock LXIX (There is a Laz)