Shuttlecock XXI: Laz is Bigger Than Anyone in His Way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to interrupt the tasty lyrics, but I'm wondering if no one has noticed the clear connection between Best Thing and
Acrobat
?

What happened your face of melting in snow?

??? What is this I don't understand.

As long as it stays in the set until Boston. I was a touch bummed ASOH got dropped before getting here last summer, but I saw it twice in 1985, so not crushed, if they dropped Acrobat, I'd be very angry. I'm avoiding listening to it/watching it on YouTube until I see it live, very much looking forward to it

I'm so jealous of people who saw them way back when :sad: how was that show do you remember much of it???

Saw them twice a few days apart, first times seeing them, was really amped up for shows. Remember it pretty well, Wire was by far the standout, vividly remember the drum crashes in The Unforgettable Fire being really loud.

Aww man that’s so cool. Did you ever imagine you’d be still following them today as well as being a poster on a forum and friends with an idiot like me?

I was thinking just yesterday how cool it would be to hear Wire.

Best show you’ve seen them do? When were they at their best?

I can see a young Hewson standing there, thinking to himself "ya know, this is the type of band that I can see myself turning their lyrics into stories about food 30 years from now"

I started plotting that night....when they played The cry before Electric Co. I started thinking....

So many fries, so many fries, so many fries
Somebody fry, somebody fry somebody fry me a chicken
Ribs a full rack, ribs a full rack, ribs a full rack
So many fries, so many fries, somebody fry
Well I can't stop I just eat more
Eat more, eat more

Best show you’ve seen them do? When were they at their best?
I'd say its hard to top the entire spectacle of ZooTV, but honestly they've never really disappointed live.
There's a few shows that stand out, most notably personally would be the Boston Elevation shows in 2001, where (I've mentioned this in the past)
I was diagnosed with testicular cancer the day before the first show, spent the afternoon of the show in line with my brother so we could get inside the heart, then had to sell my tickets for the 3rd (Friday) show because I had surgery that day, but held on to my Saturday tickets (fortunately not GA) to see if I could make it, and ended up going with my wife and a friend and his wife. My wife thought I was crazy/stupid/foolish told me "you don't have to prove how tough you are" but it was about a lot more than that for me. And it ended up in my medical records that I attended a U2 concert the day after surgery
Other standouts include the Joshua Tree show at the old Boston Garden when they had a failure with the lighting and played the majority of the show with the house lights on and the Vertigo show on my birthday Dec 4, 2005 when they closed with Fast Cars and most of the crowd had no idea what the song was but I loved it.

Ha ha ha, I love that it ended up in your medical record. That's awesome. :)

Yeah I came in for a pre-op visit the day after the first show where I had been out in the June sun from noon till 6 when they let us in so my fair Irish skin was a beautiful shade of boiled lobster red. The surgical nurse who was meeting with me asked about it and I explained about the U2 show and the GA system. Turns out she was big into concerts as well and we had a long conversation about bands and shows we'd attended, I told her that I was thinking about trying to go to Saturday's show and she said she thought it was possible.
I was back for a follow up with the surgeon 2 weeks later, she walked by, popped her head in the room and asked if I went and I told her I did.
Fast forward to my first appointment with my oncologist a month or so down the road to set up follow up treatment and he has the folder in his hand and says "I see you went to see U2 the day after your surgery"....I was like" yeah, that's in there?" I assume she was responsible for making it part of the record.

I can see a young Hewson standing there, thinking to himself "ya know, this is the type of band that I can see myself turning their lyrics into stories about food 30 years from now"

I started plotting that night....when they played The cry before Electric Co. I started thinking....

So many fries, so many fries, so many fries
Somebody fry, somebody fry somebody fry me a chicken
Ribs a full rack, ribs a full rack, ribs a full rack
So many fries, so many fries, somebody fry
Well I can't stop I just eat more
Eat more, eat more

I don't know what's funnier: the medical story, or this.

I'd say its hard to top the entire spectacle of ZooTV, but honestly they've never really disappointed live.
There's a few shows that stand out, most notably personally would be the Boston Elevation shows in 2001, where (I've mentioned this in the past)
I was diagnosed with testicular cancer the day before the first show, spent the afternoon of the show in line with my brother so we could get inside the heart, then had to sell my tickets for the 3rd (Friday) show because I had surgery that day, but held on to my Saturday tickets (fortunately not GA) to see if I could make it, and ended up going with my wife and a friend and his wife. My wife thought I was crazy/stupid/foolish told me "you don't have to prove how tough you are" but it was about a lot more than that for me. And it ended up in my medical records that I attended a U2 concert the day after surgery
Other standouts include the Joshua Tree show at the old Boston Garden when they had a failure with the lighting and played the majority of the show with the house lights on and the Vertigo show on my birthday Dec 4, 2005 when they closed with Fast Cars and most of the crowd had no idea what the song was but I loved it.

:) that's awesome man. Take it you're all well now. Must have been pretty emotional stuff, they look like great setlists too, even if they're a bit short.

As much as that whole era catches heat from fans, Live at Slane played a MASSIVE part in my becoming a huge, huge fan. And those performances of The Fly with that ad-libbed pre-verse are still the best The Fly has ever been, if you ask me. Lights go down, it's a whole different scene......

Still remember the first U2 show I saw vividly. Night 1, Melbourne, Vertigo Tour. I'd listened to pretty much nothing but U2 for the best part of a few years, and in the months preceeding the shows (after they'd been indefinitely postponed cos Edge's daughter got sick) both my Pa's passed away. When I heard my Pa on my mum's side had passed away I cried in my room at the age of 15 or 16 listening to Kite over and over. I read out a verse from it when we scattered his ashes. To them hear them close with Kite, full band and with an Aboriginal Australian man (named Tim Moriaty, I'm listening to it now actually) playing didgeridoo, for eight or nine minutes...... man. That night is probably still to this day the best night of my life, including all the extremely wonderful things that I've been lucky to experience since. I was on a high for like the next three or four days, you couldn't wipe the smile off my face.

Yeah, I rag on U2 more than most people left here, but there's a fucking reason they have been my favourite band for nearly 15 years and will be until the day I die.

These are awesome stories, you guys. Speaking of U2 and doctors...

My best friend had her consultation with the surgeon for her double mastectomy yesterday. I didn’t hear from her all day, so I thought, maybe they are planning to do the surgery this weekend after all. But last night I got a Snapchat saying, “I’ll see you in Vegas!”

She flew to where her parents live in upstate NY for the consultation. Before she left, I told her about Bono almost dying, the theory about the MRI sounds at the opening of the show; she was stunned and looked like she might cry. I can’t even imagine how this show is gonna feel. So glad she’s getting to go! We’ll see what we can do to have it added to her medical records as part of the healing process. ;)

My best friend had her consultation with the surgeon for her double mastectomy yesterday. I didn’t hear from her all day, so I thought, maybe they are planning to do the surgery this weekend after all. But last night I got a Snapchat saying, “I’ll see you in Vegas!”

She flew to where her parents live in upstate NY for the consultation. Before she left, I told her about Bono almost dying, the theory about the MRI sounds at the opening of the show; she was stunned and looked like she might cry. I can’t even imagine how this show is gonna feel. So glad she’s getting to go! We’ll see what we can do to have it added to her medical records as part of the healing process. ;)

Hope she has a great time and its a story she'll be able to tell for many decades going forward.

:up:

The SOE songs that U2 have played every night, I have now heard them more live than I have the studio versions.

All we wanted was JT30, the one album we have actually listened to.

Actually, what we really need is RAH30, still U2's best-selling album here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom