Shuttlecock XXI: Laz is Bigger Than Anyone in His Way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not sure why Best Thing, Fuck Off and American Soul aren’t in the first section. Seems odd to be playing songs they’ve been flogging that late in the set, when it doesn’t even really make sense anyway.

A realistic version of this set that would improve the flow:

1. Love Is All We Have Left
2. The Blackout
3. Lights of Home/Iris (snippet)
4. I Will Follow
5. Out of Control OR The Electric Co.
6. Red Flag Day
7. Cedarwood Road
8. Raised By Wolves
9. Sunday Bloody Sunday
10. New Year's Day
11. UTEOTW

Break

12. Desire (iHeartRadio version)
13. HMTMKMKM
14. Acrobat
15. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
16. Staring at the Sun
17. The Showman
18. You're the Best Thing About Me
19. Get Out of Your Own Way
20. Beautiful Day
21. Pride
22. COBL

Break

23. Little Things
24. One
25. 13/Song for Someone (snippet)
26. Love Is Bigger

A good chunk of the songs are still pretty weak, but if they're insisting on playing them, this makes a lot more sense.

I plugged only rehearsed / played songs into the Popmart template for shits and giggles

The Blackout
I Will Follow
Cedarwood Road
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Lights Of Home
Until the End of the World
New Year's Day
Pride (In the Name of Love)
Get Out Of Your Own Way
All Because Of You
Desire
Staring at the Sun
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Acrobat
Raised By Wolves
City of Blinding Lights

American Soul
The Ocean / Iris (Hold Me Close)
You're The Best Thing About Me

Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
Elevation
One
Love Is Bigger Than Anything in its Way

Can't believe I could have gone to Popmart Brisbane but it was promoted so badly that I had no idea it was on.

No wonder they got only 17,000 or so people to a 50,000-capacity venue.

Whereas I remember seeing multiple TV ads (they ended on "talk about Pop Muzik", which was a pretty durable earworm) but had no interest at all.

I lived on the Gold Coast at the time and don't recall hearing about it anywhere. If I'd said I wanted to go, my mother wouldn't have had trouble rustling up the tickets.

I’m not sure why Best Thing, Fuck Off and American Soul aren’t in the first section. Seems odd to be playing songs they’ve been flogging that late in the set, when it doesn’t even really make sense anyway.

Yeah, it's baffling. I even thought American Soul was a potential opener, at least for this leg. Even if you hate the song, it's a legit rocker, and it's just not something you need at the end of the second set. They insist on keeping it joined with Get Out, but really one or more of those should be closer to the top of the show. The only U2 tours I can remember where the lead singles weren't near the top would be The Joshua Tree tour's placement of WOWY, which is a different beast altogether, and Discotheque on Popmart, which was saved for the giant lemon set piece.

I didn't expect to see big changes on e&i so soon, especially in a small market like St. Louis. You'd think they'd want to give the setlist one more run-through. It's unfortunate because they dropped three tracks and only added one. So much for expecting 27 songs and a long setlist every night. I also didn't expect SFS to be cut before Cedarwood and Iris, so I guess that's a positive?

San Jose has to get the big missing oldie on one of those nights, right?

Remember how Bono says that Stay and Please are two of his favourite songs they’ve ever done but they never play them live? Great stuff.

Remember how Adam's favourite U2 song is Drowning Man?

Stay is probably the most surprising regular omission. It's something they can easily do on the small stage, and even full band/electric doesn't seem to demand much.

The only thing I can assume is that it's too difficult for Bono. Obviously the falsetto part is a no-go, but the chorus in general isn't easy to belt out, or the "oh oh oh" section at the end.

It's something that even casual fans would enjoy at a show if they heard it, unlike Acrobat, which really just seems like a treat for the hardcore fans.

Nah it’s so good to have 17 post-2000 songs in the set though for sure.

Yeah nobody wants to hear anything from Boy, October, War, The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree, Rattle and Hum, Achtung Baby, Zooropa, Passengers, or Pop. Total juvenalia. Put it in the bin.

It's something that even casual fans would enjoy at a show if they heard it, unlike Acrobat, which really just seems like a treat for the hardcore fans.

Things I didn't expect: laz to be an Acrobat Truther.

Bono fucked up again on Acrobat - I just hope this doesn't bring out their good old insecurities, making them replace it with The Showman or something. The band was great on the song.

Not surprised at Wild Horses being out. Happy to see those two Innocence songs out of the way though. But they're still fine-tuning so it's still too early to be sure of songs being gone.

I get their belief in not playing any JT songs, bold and brave, I like it! But even more than Streets not being played , how is Little Things not being played? It IS the Innocence/Experience narrative in one song!

Maybe RFD and SOL are more difficult to play? Or RFD for Bono to sing night after night? Shame though

*covering my eyes from any other terrible spoilers* GAs for this tour are hard tickets again, right? I'm getting 2 GAs for night 2 in LA, but I don't want to get screwed.

Couldn't care less about either song. How about something from the two decades when U2 were almost unbeatable.

I really hope that in DC they dedicate Ordinary Love to you, Headache.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom