Shuttlecock XXI: Laz is Bigger Than Anyone in His Way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
at this pt to satisfy Ax U2 needs to take Grateful Dead route and do different setlist depending on how they feel on that day

I have a feeling that we already got Edge's idea of a 14 minute solo: Bad in 1985.

Ever since that song was soundchecked a few days ago I've been trying to figure out where it would fit in the set.

Then it dawned on me: it's gonna be the treat for the Apollo. :happy:

Actually this is perfect for the Apollo, if they're going to play up the gospel element. In A Little While also has an old school soul/R&B vibe. Wouldn't mind if both of these songs get played at that show.

Angel of Harlem and ISHFWILF are givens.

at this pt to satisfy Ax U2 needs to take Grateful Dead route and do different setlist depending on how they feel on that day
I would readily exchange the multimedia clusterfuck in exchange for a Dead / Springsteen / Pearl Jam sure rotating setlist.

They could have all the monies. All of it.

But knowing that will never happen, as Ax said, just a Vertigo level of rotation, or even the North American i/e level of rotation.

They have way too deep a catalog to ignore so much.

im one day hoping that U2 would cover Marquee Moon in tis entirety, with all the beautiful guitar parts covered and such

It's ironic, as Television were a big influence on the Edge from what I can gather, back when U2 had fantastic influences.

The chances of U2 covering Marquee Moon, let alone snippeting anything from Marquee Moon? Zero. Zero.

I would readily exchange the multimedia clusterfuck in exchange for a Dead / Springsteen / Pearl Jam sure rotating setlist.

They could have all the monies. All of it.

But knowing that will never happen, as Ax said, just a Vertigo level of rotation, or even the North American i/e level of rotation.

They have way too deep a catalog to ignore so much.

I'm saying.

This "this tour is for our real fans" is such an infuriating crock of shit. Be proud of the albums, whatever. I genuinely think SoE is a much better album than SoI. My first impressions were that I'd be glad to hear five or six of these songs in a live setting (Landlady, Red Flag Day, Love is Bigger, Little Things, Blackout for sure, fine to have Love is All, Summer of Love, even Showman thrown in there). That's way more than SoI.

But you think your "real fans" are the ones who think everything you've ever recorded is rolled gold? What a slap in the face to the fans who've supported you for so long.

Well the real fans certainly aren't the ones who only like the old stuff.

Did Adam or Bono even use those words anyway? Or are you just angry about the state of things?

This was what Adam did say:

We would like people to pay attention to the last couple of albums because we feel they are very eloquent. We worked really hard for those songs. Bono's lyrics are, I think, among the best he's ever done. The melodies are really worked on. We put a lot of effort into those records and we think people should focus on them.

Now you can laugh at his evaluation of the lyrics or feel that the melodies were overworked, but I can't argue with the sentiment behind this. As an active artist, you're usually touring an album, not a legacy. Because they just did the latter with JT30, it makes sense that they would course-correct and say "BTW, we're not a nostalgia act now. And here's 12 songs from the last few years of our recording career."

My issue with the setlists isn't the abundance of new material or a couple of SOI leftovers, but with the remaining set. There's no reason it shouldn't be shaken up a little more. And honestly, just a couple rotating slots will make a big difference. Adam mentioned that they'd still like to play The Showman and Landlady, so they're going to have to change something.

It is truly remarkable that they are not playing Little Things on this tour, by the way. I'm not a huge fan of SOE but that is probably one of the two or three best songs on it.

Well the real fans certainly aren't the ones who only like the old stuff.

Did Adam or Bono even use those words anyway? Or are you just angry about the state of things?

This was what Adam did say:

We would like people to pay attention to the last couple of albums because we feel they are very eloquent. We worked really hard for those songs. Bono's lyrics are, I think, among the best he's ever done. The melodies are really worked on. We put a lot of effort into those records and we think people should focus on them.

Now you can laugh at his evaluation of the lyrics or feel that the melodies were overworked, but I can't argue with the sentiment behind this. As an active artist, you're usually touring an album, not a legacy. Because they just did the latter with JT30, it makes sense that they would course-correct and say "BTW, we're not a nostalgia act now. And here's 12 songs from the last few years of our recording career."

My issue with the setlists isn't the abundance of new material or a couple of SOI leftovers, but with the remaining set. There's no reason it shouldn't be shaken up a little more. And honestly, just a couple rotating slots will make a big difference. Adam mentioned that they'd still like to play The Showman and Landlady, so they're going to have to change something.
https://youtu.be/H3cNUJK-u64

It is truly remarkable that they are not playing Little Things on this tour, by the way. I'm not a huge fan of SOE but that is probably one of the two or three best songs on it.

That should have been the closer instead of 13. But it doesn't surprise me that a band that didn't play Gone when Bono wore a suit of lights would also choose not to close the show with a song that ends on "The end is here".

Let's not act like playing the last song of the current album as the final song in the show is some kind of bizarre move. They've done it on multiple tours before.

That should have been the closer instead of 13. But it doesn't surprise me that a band that didn't play Gone when Bono wore a suit of lights would also choose not to close the show with a song that ends on "The end is here".
Seriously.

Like... Come on. I know you ended a decent number of JT30 shows with Little Things, but for christ's sake it's a better song, has similar themes and ends on a giant crescendo. You can even still so the whole fucking lightbulb thing with it and it works.

Baffling.

And the main reason is probably because they just used it as the final song on a bunch of the JT shows, and didn't want to be repetitive.

Okay but were those songs really quiet and boring?

Little Things not being the closer because it's not the last song on the album would be a silly reason (which I wouldn't put past the band).

They are probably not using it because it was used in JT30 (16 times if my count is correct). Which is another silly reason, but not as silly as not being the last song on the album.

Little Things not being the closer because it's not the last song on the album would be a silly reason (which I wouldn't put past the band).

They are probably not using it because it was used in JT30 (16 times if my count is correct). Which is another silly reason, but not as silly as not being the last song on the album.
Yahweh wasn't the closer though. 40 was.

Well they said no songs from the JT tour, so I can agree with no Little Things since we also get no Joshua Tree Songs, and no Pride, no Beautiful Day, no Elevation....oh wait.

Yahweh wasn't the closer though. 40 was.

Shit, I had completely forgotten. They had so many different closers during that tour, I thought Yahweh must have closed at least one show.

Did Original of the Species close any show? I can only find the top 25 closing songs in U2gigs, so I'm not sure.

Top 25 show closing songs

40 (401)
Walk On (109)
Moment Of Surrender (101)
Can't Help Falling In Love (88)
One (74)
Love Is Blindness (68)
The Ocean (58)
Vertigo (49)
I Will Follow (42)
Out of Control (34)
Unchained Melody (22)
Wake Up Dead Man (20)
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For (20)
11 O'Clock Tick Tock (17)
Bad (17)
With or Without You (14)
13 (There Is A Light) (13)
The Little Things That Give You Away (12)
MLK (12)
Fire (7)
Kite (7)
Get on Your Boots (7)
Every Breaking Wave (7)
Beautiful Day (6)
A Day Without Me (6)

No, these were the Vertigo closers:

40 (60)
Vertigo (38)
Bad (15)
Kite (7)
All I Want Is You (5)
One Tree Hill (2)
With or Without You (1)
Fast Cars (1)
Instant Karma! (1)
Love Is Blindness (1)

Little Things is thematically more of a downer (crisis of faith, IT'S ALL OVER OH SHIT) than 13, which, while musically a little too subtle as an end for my tastes, thematically fits, ending on a message from father to children after a whirlwind of emotions and experiences through one's life.

Here's the thing, the band CLEARLY think very highly of Song for Someone for whatever reason, and are GOING to play it. If that's the case, I'll take 13 over the original if I HAVE to choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom