Shuttlecock XXI: Laz is Bigger Than Anyone in His Way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't Bono sing in Acrobat: What happened your face of melting snow?

Am I crazy or is it the same grammatical "error"? You could of course argue that a comma after happened does make sense in the Acrobat case but that's a stretch...

The following line is: "Now it looks like that"

The face was made of melting snow, now it looks different.

While we are discussing Pop, can we all agree that it was a crime that Do You Feel Loved? was never played beyond those handful of early performances on Popmart?

Question for Ax: is there another track that appears so early in an album that never got a significant number of live performances? I can’t think of any. Babyface, maybe?

I'm still bitter about NLOTH not being played very much, although I did get to hear it live ONCE. Maybe at the Rose Bowl?

Want........but feel like I should restrain myself. My VHS collection finally got moved into storage a few months ago :sad:.

I'm still bitter about NLOTH not being played very much, although I did get to hear it live ONCE. Maybe at the Rose Bowl?

Yeah it was played there for 360.

Still pissed I went to the previous show in Vegas and got the exact same setlist.

Although I can't complain much because when they came back to SoCal, I saw back to back shows in Anaheim and I got that crazy ZooTV set on night 2. Goddamn that was amazing.

1. EBTTRT
2. The Fly (first appearance on that tour and they dropped Magnificent, I literally got reverse-Peefed!)
3. Mysterious Ways
4. UTEOTW
5. One
6. Streets
7. I Will Follow

etc., and we still got Zooropa, Scarlet after SBS, and Ultraviolet for the encore. And the first appearance of snippeting Bruce's Jungleland during MOS.

Last edited:
Hell, he doesn't think Love Comes Tumbling is a very good song. He kinda lost me forever once I read that. I like his guitar playing a lot, but I've started to realize the he really is a major problem for the band's creativity. Ahhhh well, nobody's perfect.

And then there was that stuff years ago about how The Fly is 'dated' sounding (I mean, it is in so far as you can identify it with a certain period in history, early nineties, but I doubt that's what he meant). About how Zooropa is y'know, a fun little interlude in between the real stuff. On and on.

It's great to not want to rest on your laurels I suppose, but not when there's literally nothing new at the table. If you shit on your own legacy at this point, guys, you've got nothing. It's like 'geez, I think U2 should start over from scratch as a dull middle of the road band with chunky blues based riffing and stuff... we're only 57."

Last edited:
I wonder just how badly the - seemingly permanent - departure of Eno and Lanois is hurting this band.

There's no way the 58 producers on every track is an improvement over that longrunning partnership. A'course, they did do POP without Eno and Lanois (and of course, they did do NLOTH WITH them). But still.

I was thinking about this on my drive home from work just now, but the absence of anything from NLOTH on the last three tours kinda tells me everything I think we need to know. They are absolutely done trying anything.

Please, U2....prove me wrong.

OK, so I just had to crawl under my bed to find my copy of Into the Heart (we got rid of our book case recently, and were short on storage space, so all the books ended up under there), but I was disappointed to find that the Love Comes Tumbling thing I was referring to is not in there. I then went to the deluxe edition of TUF, thinking it must've been there I read it, then, but the only thing Edge says about the song was just that it was a B-Side, and a more emotionally raw song for them. Here it is if you're curious:
"A track taken from the pile of out-takes from 'The Unforgettable Fire' demo sessions and completed as a B-side. These tracks by necessity came together very quickly and sometimes took unexpected turns. 'Love Comes Tumbling' is an unusual piece that showcases a more tentative, fragile aspect of our writing.

I *know* I read the Edge say something dismissive about the song, but for the life of me I now can't remember where.

EDIT: Although, reading the next bit, I wonder if I wasn't thinking of The Three Sunrises, instead and being more irritated that Edge thought it didn't fit on the album.

"'The Three Sunrises' was a tune that almost made the album, but in the end was too different from the rest of the material. It was the first track to be finished when we went looking for B-sides and remains one of our best out-takes. The guitar is heavily influenced by King Sunny Ade."

Last edited:
Do you own the deluxe edition of TUF? If you look in the little book in there, where Edge writes about the album, he basically says a bunch about LCT not being complete and not really being an album worthy song, or some-such. I can't recall, but it made me very cross when I read it. I think some stuff about it is also in Into the Heart. I have both at home, but I'm at work right now.

Hmm. It's not in there. In the liner notes he says that it was an out-take completed to be a b-side: "These tracks by necessity come together very quickly and sometimes took unexpected turns. 'Love Comes Tumbling' is an unusual piece that showcases a more tentative, fragile aspect of our writing."

Though I noticed the Niall Stokes essay in there bags out Indian Summer Sky and I just won't stand for that.

While we are discussing Pop, can we all agree that it was a crime that Do You Feel Loved? was never played beyond those handful of early performances on Popmart?

Question for Ax: is there another track that appears so early in an album that never got a significant number of live performances? I can’t think of any. Babyface, maybe?

namkcuR got to this before me, but possibly useful is this page on U2gigs, which has every song by album order: All U2 songs by album - U2 on tour

It was done 49 times, so a fair if not great run. The last one is kind of weird, a semi-acoustic version in 2010.

They also ran through it in 2015 in a stripped down form but it didn't get beyond soundcheck.

I was thinking about this on my drive home from work just now, but the absence of anything from NLOTH on the last three tours kinda tells me everything I think we need to know. They are absolutely done trying anything.

Please, U2....prove me wrong.

Yeah, NLOTH is now shaping up as the most neglected U2 album. It outdoes Zooropa and Passengers for performances of individual songs, and is in the same ballpark as Pop, but no other album has had such neglect after its debut tour. Literally one performance of Magnificent, in 2015. That's it. At least one song each from Zooropa, Pop, and Passengers has made at least three tours.

Hahaha, Ashley it seems we both grabbed our UF deluxe booklets at the same time.

Ah, I love coming to this place and seeing some hardcore nerding-out over U2 stuff. [emoji813] [emoji813] [emoji813]

Axver. I really fucking love U2gigs. LMFAO. U2 snippeted I'm Like a Bird during Elevation, I just discovered, once. And it's terrrrrible.

Ah, I love coming to this place and seeing some hardcore nerding-out over U2 stuff. [emoji813] [emoji813] [emoji813]

Apparently you're seeing a lot of some people (me) getting old and forgetful right now, and putting words into poor Edge's mouth.

Um, also, I have super out of the loop these last...years. Missed the promo tour for this, so I didn't know about the sizeable snippet they did of Walk to the Water in All Because of You. This is great. You know what would've been a good time to do that song? Maybe...I don't know...The Joshua Tree tour?

People get rid of bookcases?!?!?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
This one was a TV stand and a bookcase and it was taking up entirely too much room in my tiny apartment. Quality of life has greatly improved without it. I bought a replacement, it's just in storage, because hopefully we're moving soon and I don't feel like building any more furniture until we do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom