Shuttlecock XX - Laz Is All You Have Left

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't skip songs on albums in general.

Sometimes I don't listen to all 15 minutes of Less Than You Think by Wilco, but that's about it.

Yup, same here.

A Ghost Is Born is annoying to playing on vinyl for exactly that reason. I really like The Late Greats, but often end up just stopping the album short.

By far the part that annoys me the most in this album is when the instruments stop in the "it's your fight, your fight" portion of the chorus in Get Out of Your Own Way. It's so cheap.

I'm trying to put together SOI and SOE in one album, experimenting with some tracklists. This is something I kind of like:

1. Love is All We Have Left
2. Sleep Like a Baby Tonight
3. Invisible
4. Red Flag Day
5. Raised by Wolves
6. Cedarwood Road
7. Summer of Love
8. Reach Around
9. The Blackout
10. Lights of Home
11. The Little Things
12. The Troubles

This is not particularly cohesive, but I think it would be a decent album.

So no special verification for this second LA pre-sale? I'm just good to go tomorrow?

By far the part that annoys me the most in this album is when the instruments stop in the "it's your fight, your fight" portion of the chorus in Get Out of Your Own Way. It's so cheap.

I'm literally having trouble saying anything good about the song. I don't know if there's any part of it, musically or lyrically that I enjoy.

Really? Once I get to know an album well I usually start skipping around.

I think Porcupine Tree is the only band I love with a large discography where I would not skip something on the majority of their albums.
According to Spotify's year end stats, I skipped 23 songs this year, total. Out of 66,000 plays.

Yeah, I rarely skip stuff. Most of the time when I listen to music, it’s while I’m working and is from my MacBook through my studio monitors across the room. Kinda makes skipping tough when you’ve gotta stop working and walk across the room.

The johns are looking for someone to lay them
The madames are looking for someone to pay them
The prostitutes are there for those who need a romp
And Lance's Mom says...
Whip It Out If You've Paid
Ahhh ahhh ahhh
Whip It Out If You've Paid

It's especially troubling on an album where Edge really seems to be coasting or fading into the background. That's not to say that there isn't variety to the sounds on the album, but I'm not hearing many interesting guitar parts. It's fine if they want to make less of a capital-R rock album (American Soul being the main exception), but considering how much energy he seemed to be putting into making himself distinctly heard on SOI (Raised By Wolves, Iris, The Miracle, Volcano, Reach Around, Cedarwood, even Song For Someone's acoustic melody), his contributions on SOE don't stand out as much.

This is my biggest issue with the album. Edge really seems to be intentionally staying in the background on almost every track.

Landlady is the only song on the album that I can't remember anything about musically. Not surprised writers keep forgetting about it.

Landlady is the only song on the album that I can't remember anything about musically. Not surprised writers keep forgetting about it.

Honestly, same. When I listen to it, it's pretty and I love the sentiment, but it's the only song on the album that hasn't been in my head at any point during the week.

I gave it a mention in my review and even used the line you said I could use, gvox ... only to have it edited out! Ha. That was the only edit I was annoyed with.

Got an email from Ticketmaster today asking if I wanted to redeem my free CD of U2's "forthcoming album".

Everything seems so disorganized. It's a fucking joke.

Songs of Ascent!

Landlady is gorgeous, definitely one of my five or six favorites from the album. I wish more of you dug it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom