Shuttlecock XX - Laz Is All You Have Left

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And where else would that phrase come from? Bono isn't a big Styx fan.

why are you so sure bono didn't come up himself with the phrase "grand illusion" without it being a reference to something else? it's not like that's a particularly unique pair of words.

It's a pretty well-known film, often ranked among the best ever made, and also has a big anti-war message of brotherhood. Having a hard time believing that a cultured guy like Bono isn't aware of that phrase's origins.

Pretty sure Bono was just adopting a phrase that's become well worn over the years. It's not quite a cliche, but I've heard it many times before.

Pretty sure Bono was just adopting a phrase that's become well worn over the years. It's not quite a cliche, but I've heard it many times before.

Yeah, at this point grand illusion is a well established expression not connected to the movie itself.

Little Things is breathtaking. I love the way that this has been arranged, although the latter half of the song doesn't match the first half. This and Red Flag Day are my two standouts.

I'm not yet feeling Love is Bigger. It's a bit too easy for me I think. This feels like U2 in autopilot. Awfully predictable and pedestrian. That said, Bono's strong booming vocal is refreshing. I'm glad he challenged his vocal register with something different.

Last Christmas, I bought from u2.com
By the very next year, bugger all arrived here
This year, to save me from tears
I'll order from Amazon like normal people :shifty:

So a weird thing happened today. Out of nowhere Landlady got stuck in my head and it wouldn't leave, specifically the part that Laz mentioned where Bono sings "The landlady shows me the stars up there/I’m weightless/Weightless when she is there".

I just watched the short movie that comes with the album on iTunes. It made me love this album more. And I want to hear some of those other takes of the songs. They sound really cool.

So a weird thing happened today. Out of nowhere Landlady got stuck in my head and it wouldn't leave, specifically the part that Laz mentioned where Bono sings "The landlady shows me the stars up there/I’m weightless/Weightless when she is there".

It’s a good sign that every song has been in my head at some point. Some have really grown on me too, like Lights Of Home and Showman.

I put together a tracklist. Not sure if it works better or not but the big thing is that it puts The Blackout front and center. I didn’t want to totally reinvent the wheel but it seems to work.

Love Is All that We Have Left
The Blackout
Get Out Of Your Own Way
American Soul
Summer Of Love
Red Flag Day
You’re The Best Thing About Me
The Showman
Landlady
The Little Things That Give You Away
Lights Of Home (Strings Version)
Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way

American Soul on SNL was pretty awful but I don’t think I would have noticed refujesus if 1) i hadn’t known about it from here and 2) it wasn’t on the screen behind them. Kind of expected it to be a bigger deal. Holy fuck that song is bad though.

The sales forum is freaking out because the album is tanking, but it's honestly a good thing. U2 should stop killing their legacy with crappy radio bait singles like Best Thing and Get Out and focus on making music for themselves. It's time to let commercial ambitions go. Imagine what NLOTH would have been like had they stopped caring a decade ago.

The sales forum is freaking out because the album is tanking, but it's honestly a good thing. U2 should stop killing their legacy with crappy radio bait singles like Best Thing and Get Out and focus on making music for themselves. It's time to let commercial ambitions go. Imagine what NLOTH would have been like had they stopped caring a decade ago.
This is so true. I hope this album is a bridge between the commercial intentions of the last few records and what could be a creative swansong in a few years

Or, instead of choosing the worst songs on the album for singles, they could choose the best ones. Crazy idea, I know, but I think it’s worth a shot.

IMO Summer of Love is easily the catchiest thing on the album, and a damn good song on top of that.

Conversely, I don't think there is anywhere the Blackout could be placed where it would sync up with the rest of the album.

Or, instead of choosing the worst songs on the album for singles, they could choose the best ones. Crazy idea, I know, but I think it’s worth a shot.

This.

IMO Summer of Love is easily the catchiest thing on the album, and a damn good song on top of that.

I don't know if they have a catchier song than The Showman, period. If we're talking choruses, at least.

Is it tanking? I thought I read a Billboard article the other day that said it was heading to No. 1.

Is it tanking? I thought I read a Billboard article the other day that said it was heading to No. 1.

Mostly on the strength of ticket bundles. It's going to have a brutal second week because its streaming numbers have been negligible.

Clearly the band just want that 1st week #1 in the U.S.. After that, I don’t think they’ll care about how much sales will drop in the second week (probably hoping it’s not the worse drop ever). It’s already happened with quite a few artists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom