Shuttlecock XX - Laz Is All You Have Left

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm weirdly unbothered by this whole Summer of Love kerfuffle. I must be getting mellow in my mature age, as I'm becoming much more "oh, just give me the music and a concert ticket or two, I don't care" about U2.

Congrats on your new Peddle Pig, Headache!

It is kinda lame that the standout lead guitar part on the album wasn't even written by the lead guitarist.

I don't even get the fuss over the riff.. It's nothing earth shattering by any means and i can't believe that Edge couldn't come up with something better in its place. It's an average riff and nowhere near the league of The Fly, Discotheque, Vertigo or even Elevation in my opinion.

Last edited:
I think it's more that there are basically like two riffs on the whole album and both were not written by The Edge.
Yeah I get that. My mind was somewhere else.

On second thought though, I did listen to Song 5 from lollapalooza and live the riff is pretty cool. To me it doesn't come across as anything special on record (both Haim and U2)

That poorly-chosen "girly" remark is really blowing up, it's all over my timelines. It's about time this happened. I grew tired of Bono describing his eighties vocals as "sounding like a girl" as if that was some kind of pejorative. But it seemed to slip by with nobody raising more than an eyebrow.

For a guy who just spent a whole tour using the encore to highlight women's contributions and achievements, you would think he would not choose his words so poorly, but this remark is not an isolated slip of the tongue, he's been using it as a putdown for years. And for those people who didn't see JT30, this is all they're going to hear of Bono's attitude to women. If you just have a casual interest in U2, you're going to see this, think "that Bono's a real tool huh", and then keep scrolling.

And Headache, I look forward to your first daughter being Sounds Like a Girl Jordan Eve Memphis Blue Angel Ali Morleigh.

That poorly-chosen "girly" remark is really blowing up, it's all over my timelines. It's about time this happened. I grew tired of Bono describing his eighties vocals as "sounding like a girl" as if that was some kind of pejorative. But it seemed to slip by with nobody raising more than an eyebrow.

For a guy who just spent a whole tour using the encore to highlight women's contributions and achievements, you would think he would not choose his words so poorly, but this remark is not an isolated slip of the tongue, he's been using it as a putdown for years. And for those people who didn't see JT30, this is all they're going to hear of Bono's attitude to women. If you just have a casual interest in U2, you're going to see this, think "that Bono's a real tool huh", and then keep scrolling.

That’s weird. I’ve barely seen anything on mine. Maybe a couple articles but they weren’t even bashing him. I’ve seen more about the near death experience.

That’s weird. I’ve barely seen anything on mine. Maybe a couple articles but they weren’t even bashing him. I’ve seen more about the near death experience.

I've been surprised who I've seen posting about it. My Twitter timeline has a heavy skew towards others working in History, or the Humanities more broadly, since I use it somewhat professionally. And there has been heaps about this, and not just from the historians and sociologists of gender and feminism who you might expect to comment on it. They're the same general group of people who made a few lighthearted jokes about the Lithuania shopping centre thing but moved on, and otherwise I don't recall much at all about U2 either way.

Bono really struggles to make himself seem like a sympathetic figure, especially these days.

He's getting ripped apart. And deservedly so. It's a shame because, like I said, I think it's a good and candid and smart interview. But the "girly" thing really sticks out. I think he was ultimately going for a statement about how we need a return of strong, aggressive, guitar based music in the mainstream. But the way he said it was just wrong.

Who the hell calls anything girly anymore? It's 2017, Bono.

Congrats on the new baby, Mr. and Mrs. Headache!

Stopped by to see the reaction to Bono's girly comment. I don't have much to add other than to say Twitter is where I see folks jumping all over him, and rightfully so. What a dumb thing to say.

Disappointed to read about Edge not writing that riff. Not gonna lie. I only listened to the album a few times and cannot bring myself to revisit it yet.

That girly comment jumped out at me when I initially read the interview the other day and I rightfully predicted it would blow up in Bono's face. And deservedly so. What a stupid thing to say. And it overshadows not only the point the band was trying to make during Ultraviolet on JT30, but also how for years they'd point out that Principle Management was almost entirely run by women.

But a really funny part of that interview was when Bono essentially confirmed what has become a meme about Larry, that he basically hates everything and may not be on board with the new album. I laughed at that part.

Generally I've seen that those who might be likely to rip in Bono for anything are having a field day, and most people have no idea what anyone's talking about not give a turkey one way or another.

So, in other words, Twitter.

The worst is that it's actually a really good interview - but one stupid comment and nobody even mentions the rest.

The tin foil hat in me thinks that they did this on purpose so that Jann couldn't be accused of protecting U2 from criticism anymore.

Last edited:
But a really funny part of that interview was when Bono essentially confirmed what has become a meme about Larry, that he basically hates everything and may not be on board with the new album. I laughed at that part.

It's fine to think it and okay for Bono to say it...just don't ever post it.

:huh:

Rich/powerful white man says/does misogynist thing. Fitting end to 2017.

Laz and Laz is all you have left
Christgau cries on a doorstep
Laz is all you have left

Laz and Laz is all you have left
T.O.'s in the shower cause he can't accept
Laz is all you have left

Just remembered I never received a fan gift from U2.com membership in 2017. Did they ever actually ship them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom