Shuttlecock XVIII - SAVE US, REFU-JESUS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think they said they were shipping in December if memory serves (as the post above shows I am very old and the memory isn't what it used to be)

I see. So I might actually get it before my new subscription kicks in next January.

So having just resubscribed a week ago, I'm eligible to redeem that gift. If I wait long enough, will I be able to get the next gift instead? I forget how this shit works.

The JT singles look nice but they'd just wind up sitting on my shelf. Does anyone thing holding off is a good gamble? I don't really want some bullshit lithographs instead. That book about their early years was one of the better gifts in recent memory, doubt it will be topping that.

Late on two discussions, but two things:

A. Weezer's debut is up there as one of the best debut albums of all time.

B. Until the End of the World and Streets are the only two U2 songs that need to be played at every show. UTEOTW truly is one of the best U2 songs ever written, the lyrics and music are so incredibly amazing and powerful. It's been in my top 5 for a while and is one of the first U2 songs I fell in love with when I was a kid.

So having just resubscribed a week ago, I'm eligible to redeem that gift. If I wait long enough, will I be able to get the next gift instead? I forget how this shit works.

The JT singles look nice but they'd just wind up sitting on my shelf. Does anyone thing holding off is a good gamble? I don't really want some bullshit lithographs instead. That book about their early years was one of the better gifts in recent memory, doubt it will be topping that.

You should have the option for either like BoMac said, but I think you have to have already made that selection when you re-subscribed, might want to check receipt email.

For instance mine says the following:

QTY DESCRIPTION PRICE
____________________________________________________________________________________
1 (U2CBSR18) US$ 40.00
U2com13 Standard Renewal Membership: 2018 Gift

Grand Total US$ 40.00

I read that as manatee residency.

It took this post for me to realize it didn't say manatee.

bono-fat.jpg

The Doors' self-titled debut should be up there. Light My Fire, The End, Break On Through, The Crystal Ship, Take It As It Comes, etc.

Little Earthquakes by Tori Amos was quite a debut, even if she's not as influential as some of the other artists being mentioned here.

That pic literally had a link that ended in "bono-fat.jpg".

I should have just posted the one of him reaching into his swimsuit for his junk again. :|

Look, The Beatles are the most important band ever, but it's not because of Please Please Me. That record did not change the world. Hell, the Beatles invasion in 1964 in the United States wasn't even particularly reliant on it even though "Love Me Do" ended up hitting #1 in all the commotion.

The Velvet Underground & Nico flat out led to practically everything in the indie/underground sphere including insanely popular mainstream acts like Bowie, and yes, Shuttlecock. It was recently picked as #1 on Pitchfork's 1960s albums list with only A Hard Day's Night representing the early Beatles.

The way I see it, you have to look at both the overall quality of the album at hand (and Please Please Me is no 10/10 unlike many other debut albums) and also the influence that the record had. You will basically always find Velvet Underground & Nico as the highest ranking debut album in every all-time albums list or any other list that it would be eligible for...that one LP is responsible for inspiring more great acts than any other.

Last edited:
if we're talking about importance then i agree that they're at least 1-2.

and i also agree that velvet underground is far better musically.

please please me's quality is in its raw energy, rather than the music itself. twist and shout is a pretty basic song, but the delivery is what makes it something people still listen to almost 55 years later.

Look, The Beatles are the most important band ever, but it's not because of Please Please Me. That record did not change the world. Hell, the Beatles invasion in 1964 in the United States wasn't even particularly reliant on it even though "Love Me Do" ended up hitting #1 in all the commotion.

The Velvet Underground & Nico flat out led to practically everything in the indie/underground sphere including insanely popular mainstream acts like Bowie, and yes, Shuttlecock. It was recently picked as #1 on Pitchfork's 1960s albums list with only A Hard Day's Night representing the early Beatles.

The way I see it, you have to look at both the overall quality of the album at hand (and Please Please Me is no 10/10 unlike many other debut albums) and also the influence that the record had. You will basically always find Velvet Underground & Nico as the highest ranking debut album in every all-time albums list or any other list that it would be eligible for...that one LP is responsible for inspiring more great acts than any other.

Come on, every list? Just to name one example, RS put the Beastie Boys' Licensed To Ill as their #1 debut of all time. I'm not defending that selection at all, I'm just saying, saying it tops 'every list' is a bit silly.

Velvet Underground was #5 on the same list.

For me I’d say off the top of my head, my top debut albums of all time would include these:

U2: Boy
Fleet Foxes: Fleet Foxes
Led Zeppelin: I
The Beatles: Please Please Me
The Strokes: Is This It?
Weezer: The Blue Album
Pearl Jam: Ten
Mutemath: Mutemath

But I haven’t listened to nearly as much music as a lot of you.

Perhaps there should be a different category, for most insignificant debuts by artists who later grossly exceeded all expectations *coughpablohoneycough*.

Perhaps there should be a different category, for most insignificant debuts by artists who later grossly exceeded all expectations *coughpablohoneycough*.

I had this exact thought earlier. As you say, Pablo Honey immediately springs to mind.

Bowie's 1967 self-titled debut. I'll admit that while I'm familiar with most of Bowie's work, I haven't actually ever listened to this one. But I don't think I've ever actually seen anyone here or anywhere else talk about it much, so I'm assuming it's nothing special. Maybe I'm wrong.

RHCP's self-titled debut. I know RHCP aren't popular here so I'll probably be alone on this. But I find their debut to be nearly unlistenable, and it's amazing that they eventually ended up making great records like BloodSugarSexMagik, Californication, etc.

Maybe Nirvana's debut, Bleach?

Rolling Stones. A debut entirely made up of covers. Average musicianship. Sure they were riding the British Invasion etc and they brought blues to the masses.
But I doubt anyone hearing that debut would have believed they'd be responsible for Exile a few years later.

Back
Top Bottom