Shuttlecock XVIII - SAVE US, REFU-JESUS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good point, I have no problem with SFS as it is, but if they're able to improve it, then hey, nothing wrong with that.

No problem? Not even that garbage guitar solo where Edge recycles his work on Cock Crazy? And then Bono coming in with "Yeah...yeah yeah yeah..."? Yikes.

I actually think it's a pretty song, nice guitar playing and vocal melody. The chorus is catchy and passionately sung. But that part I mentioned above is godawful.

I rank it slightly above the neutered, overwrought pap of EBW but they're the two weakest tracks on SOI for me.

What the hell laz. EBW is so far ahead of Song for Someone it's not funny.

They fucking butchered EBW for the studio take. The live version was a favorite of mine from the start, but it sounds so plastic now.

SFS sounds like a song a Disney princess would walk out to when she meets her love interest. Except way worse, because those songs kick ass sometimes.

IF YOU GOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOoooooooooooo
ooo
!!!!!!!!

What the hell laz. EBW is so far ahead of Song for Someone it's not funny.

No ragged guitar, no sale.

The demo is a really good track. The neutered version on the album is musically too understated and vocally too overstated.

IF YOU GOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOoooooooooooo
ooo
!!!!!!!!

:applaud:

No ragged guitar, no sale.

The demo is a really good track. The neutered version on the album is musically too understated and vocally too overstated.

:applaud:

What is this demo version you speak of? I think I've seen you mention it before, but I've never heard it.

When you say live version, do you mean the original 360 live version, or the I+E live version?

Original 360 version. I loved that song before they softened the guitar tone and threw on a bunch of unnecessary synths.

Haaaaaaaaaate the Adele I+E remix.

I like the studio version of EBW, and indeed think it's one of the better songs on SOI, but oh my god that IE tour version is awful.

The Adele gag got very old but there's a hint of truth in it.

On the subject of recycling riffs or lyrics, they've done it on a couple of the earlier records, obviously the bookend on War of "how long..." I guess there's also Cry and Is That All?

The intro organ on Love In Blindness is the main "and I'd join the movement if there was one I could believe in" melody of Acrobat. Difference being they were generally great songs from the same record and there was a condensed theme to it all.

Okay. This is a dumb question. What is this thread? There is an American Soul discussion thread, a Blackout discussion thread, a GOOYOW thread and a new album thread.
Shuttlecock looks familiar... have been here a long time, but not participated everywhere. But what is this thread?

My understanding is that this is the general U2 related discussion thread for people who mostly post in Just The Bang & The Clatter, a subforum for mostly general music that isn't U2.

True story, Elvis had to create this forum because of all the Radiohead chat. Otherwise you'd all be in Lemonade Stand, or EYKIW would be a very different place.

My understanding is that this is the general U2 related discussion thread for people who mostly post in Just The Bang & The Clatter, a subforum for mostly general music that isn't U2.

True story, Elvis had to create this forum because of all the Radiohead chat. Otherwise you'd all be in Lemonade Stand, or EYKIW would be a very different place.
Ohh... bang and clatter. My mistake. Thanks. The new app makes it all seem like everything's in one place.

Out of curiosity, how difficult is it for an American to acquire a GA ticket for a show in Europe? Contemplating only going to one show here and using my other slot to grab one in Paris maybe? Or are we even able to do a split like that?

You should be able to buy 2 singles for 2 different shows. It has worked that way in the past.

On the subject of recycling riffs or lyrics, they've done it on a couple of the earlier records, obviously the bookend on War of "how long..." I guess there's also Cry and Is That All?

In 1981 we would definitely be disappointed that the cool intro for The Electric Co. became a random awkward closer.

In 1982 we would be very confused that they continue to use the cool intro for The Electric Co.

Okay. This is a dumb question. What is this thread? There is an American Soul discussion thread, a Blackout discussion thread, a GOOYOW thread and a new album thread.
Shuttlecock looks familiar... have been here a long time, but not participated everywhere. But what is this thread?

U2 shit-talking for the people who don't want to talk U2 with the other shit-talkers. Probably best not to think too hard about it.

You should be able to buy 2 singles for 2 different shows. It has worked that way in the past.

Yeah. I should post my query in the general tour thread because there has to be someone on this forum who's managed to get a European GA ticket via pre-sale.

I'm still shocked I'm the only one here who managed to get more than 2 tickets for the original i+e leg. I don't remember exploiting a TM loophole, either.

Yeah. I should post my query in the general tour thread because there has to be someone on this forum who's managed to get a European GA ticket via pre-sale.

I'm still shocked I'm the only one here who managed to get more than 2 tickets for the original i+e leg. I don't remember exploiting a TM loophole, either.

You might want to visit the tour date threads for some European shows and find the specific quieter members who went to those shows. I remember they were very helpful to me.

I was thinking about this new album and songs last night and two things struck me;

1 - I used to expect an entire album of great songs from U2 but since Pop its gradually decreased so that at this point I'm just happy for a couple of songs. A sad realization I guess.

2 - My first listen to Get Out was on Youtube and I think it says a lot about how bland and generic "U2-sounding" it is that I was convinced it was a fake upload up until they started singing. It really sounded like someone else with a poor attempt to sound like U2.

finally got around to listening to get out and the studio version of blackout.

was expecting get out to be a total trainwreck based on the reaction in here but it's really not as terrible as some of you are making it out to be. i agree that it's pretty generic and the lyrics are the obvious weakest part of the song, especially the second verse, but it's really not *that* bad. it's certainly many miles away from being the worst song they've ever written.

i also really don't get at all how people are calling this a beautiful day (or always) rewrite...that makes no sense to me other than the drum pattern is similar, but that doesn't really mean shit.

the studio version of the blackout kicks ass - i absolutely despised the constant screaming fake crowd noise and refused to listen to that facebook version until this was released because i couldn't tell if the song was actually good or not. but now that i can actually hear all the sonic details and effects i really like it. i can get past the name rhyming bits. my biggest complaint is that edge should be higher in the mix, especially in the chorus. but this is easily my favourite of the new tracks so far, and an obvious choice for opener on the tour that i probably won't be seeing (no idea why they didn't announce a toronto show and i'm certainly not spending the money to travel to see them if the show is going to be as similar to i+e as the rumours have been suggesting).

Back
Top Bottom