Shuttlecock XVIII - SAVE US, REFU-JESUS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just find your hopefulness and positivity odd. Were it not U2, you'd have disowned the band/music years ago. You hold them to a different standard.

Was chatting with the Dep! he was firmly on my side ;)

What does hopeful have to do with it? I'm pointing out how dumb it is to act like the band is lazily recycling material when they're simply doing the same thing Radiohead and other bands have done.

And I haven't disowned the band because I think half of No Line and SOI are fantastic by any measure.

I'm with laz on this one in terms of the principle.

What annoys me is that they reused a bad part of a mediocre song - though it's certainly better than Volcano this time around.

What annoys me is that they reused a bad part of a mediocre song - though it's certainly better than Volcano this time around.

I prefer Volcano, based on one listen.

But I still don't object to the idea of the song.

I just hope we get at least half an album of strong material so I can put it with the best of SOI for one great album.

As far as lead singles go, I still contend they blew it with Invisible.

I'm looking at it this way: there's a shitload of great albums out there this year, enough to keep me occupied for a long time. If there is even a single good U2 song to come out of this album, it's something. I mean, in all seriousness, how often do any of you go back to a 2000-plus U2 album in full?

That's how I felt about Innocence. ATYCLB is the only album I go back to in full, although HTDAAB was my first album and the one that started this whole mess for me, and I did really love about half NLOTH.

Count me with Laz as well.

Gal%20Gimli%2003.jpg

I'm looking at it this way: there's a shitload of great albums out there this year, enough to keep me occupied for a long time. If there is even a single good U2 song to come out of this album, it's something. I mean, in all seriousness, how often do any of you go back to a 2000-plus U2 album in full?

Never.

And if I did it would be to my custom HTDAAB tracklist. You can definitely make a good album out of that era's material. You can get a decent EP from the others, but not a full album.

Holy hell, the first 20 seconds or so of this studio version of The Blackout are giving me serious Achtung vibes.

I just find your hopefulness and positivity odd. Were it not U2, you'd have disowned the band/music years ago. You hold them to a different standard.

Was chatting with the Dep! he was firmly on my side ;)

Boots sucked. NLOTH was ok.

Miracle sucked. SOI was good.

I think there's reason for optimism.

So what? Amnesiac only had 10 tracks and one of them was an alternate version of something on Kid A.

I don't know why this is being met with such resistance; we always knew these were companion albums, even if it wasn't made clear some of the material from one would be repurposed for the other. It's not like they put Always on No Line or something.
I understand that this is a furor over nothing, but comparing SOE to Amnesiac is ridiculous. Not only was that album released 9 months after its predecessor, but it was comprised of songs from the same sessions. It's a glorified b sides comp.

U2 fans have been waiting over 3 years for SOE and there's reason to believe that 2 of its 13 tracks are repurposed oldies? That's lame. Doesn't prevent the album from being worthwhile, of course, but there's no similarity between Radiohead's situation and U2's.

I understand that this is a furor over nothing, but comparing SOE to Amnesiac is ridiculous. Not only was that album released 9 months after its predecessor, but it was comprised of songs from the same sessions. It's a glorified b sides comp.

U2 fans have been waiting over 3 years for SOE and there's reason to believe that 2 of its 13 tracks are repurposed oldies? That's lame. Doesn't prevent the album from being worthwhile, of course, but there's no similarity between Radiohead's situation and U2's.

I find it strange that we've been "waiting" for three years. By U2 standards, that's not even that long.

I'm not waiting for anything. I don't expect them to make new music that's amazing. It's all bonus. It's also not a big deal if it sucks. I would be disappointed if the next Future Islands album were crap. Or the Airborne Toxic Event. U2 are old. They have a plethora of my favorite music. I'm cool with just handpicking one or two songs from their new album to like.

I find it strange that we've been "waiting" for three years. By U2 standards, that's not even that long.

I'm not waiting for anything. I don't expect them to make new music that's amazing. It's all bonus. It's also not a big deal if it sucks. I would be disappointed if the next Future Islands album were crap. Or the Airborne Toxic Event. U2 are old. They have a plethora of my favorite music. I'm cool with just handpicking one or two songs from their new album to like.
Well, they have been waiting that long. That is the time elapsed between the two releases. The degree of anguish one has experienced in the process is subjective.

Personally I would be OK with U2 never releasing another album or perhaps pursuing solo careers for a bit, but that's immaterial to this discussion.

Given I only expected 11 songs and knew that SOE was a companion to SOI, having 2 out of 13 repurpose material from SOI doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Repurposing SFS and Volcano rather than the good shit does. Well, maybe 13 (There Is a Light) will find a way to make some part of SFS good.

Given I only expected 11 songs and knew that SOE was a companion to SOI, having 2 out of 13 repurpose material from SOI doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Bingo. Thank you for having some perspective about it.

Either the new songs are good or not. That's all that matters to me. I think American Soul sounded decent after one listen. If "13" is some redo of SFS, hopefully it will be an improvement because it can't get much lamer.

Never.

And if I did it would be to my custom HTDAAB tracklist. You can definitely make a good album out of that era's material. You can get a decent EP from the others, but not a full album.

Challenge accepted. But it's an easy challenge for me because I like these albums. They're not Achtung or Joshua or UF, but I like them.

With ATYCLB all I have to do is replace POE with Ground Beneath Her Feet. Maybe Stateless for Grace as well(though I don't dislike Grace as much as some of you do).

1. Beautiful Day
2. Stuck In A Moment
3. Elevation
4. Walk On
5. Kite
6. In A Little While
7. Wild Honey
8. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
9. When I Look At The World
10. New York
11. Stateless

NLOTH is tough, because it's so compromised. I can put together a short 39-minute album...

1. NLOTH
2. Soon
3. Fez-BB
4. Magnificent
5. MOS
6. White As Snow
7. Winter(Linear)
8. Cedars

For SOI, I could really make a list using 12 out of the 14 tracks that came out of those sessions(I'd only cut SFS from the album proper). I love SOI. But most of you don't like the single-heavy front-half, so I'll make list that omits most of it.

1. This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
2. Invisible
3. Iris
4. Every Breaking Wave
5. Volcano
6. Raised By Wolves
7. Cedarwood Road
8. Sleep Like A Baby Tonight
9. The Crystal Ballroom
10. The Troubles

Also let’s not overlook the fact that the song Radiohead were “repeating” was contained in freaking Kid A, not SOI.

Radiohead is amazing at repurposing old material too. In Rainbows and A Moon Shaped Pool are loaded with familiar tracks and those albums are masterful.

Bingo. Thank you for having some perspective about it.

Either the new songs are good or not. That's all that matters to me. I think American Soul sounded decent after one listen. If "13" is some redo of SFS, hopefully it will be an improvement because it can't get much lamer.
Good point, I have no problem with SFS as it is, but if they're able to improve it, then hey, nothing wrong with that.

Back
Top Bottom