Shuttlecock XVIII - SAVE US, REFU-JESUS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The only songs on NLOTH that I don't like are the middle three. Even UC is about a hundred times more interesting to me than most of SOI despite (or perhaps because of) its flaws.

To be honest I've come to rate Unknown Caller right down there with Boots and Stand Up Comedy. The lyrics are as awful as it gets. The music had so much promise but Bono shat the bed.

On the other hand I think Crazy Tonight gets far too bad an assessment here.

To be honest I've come to rate Unknown Caller right down there with Boots and Stand Up Comedy. The lyrics are as awful as it gets. The music had so much promise but Bono shat the bed.

I'm totally with you on Crazy Tonight. It's cliche but it's cute and catchy. It's a harmless song but certainly sort of a flop. I like the music video though, and it's grown on me over time.

Unknown Caller, though, is a polarizing song. Great music, but Bongo ruins the song entirely with his lyrics and post-2000 style of singing. It's not as bad as SUC or Boots, but that's because it's defended by an otherwise good piece of music.

edit: I clearly didn't read your whole post, because that's exactly what you said.

I agree on all counts.

Stand Up Comedy is frustrating as well, as Edge actually has a decent part in it, and it's so rare that Edge features as prominently anymore.

Alas, ruined by Boner

It's frustrating just how many songs on recent albums make me think "this would be great if it weren't for Bono". There are the occasional moments of Edge laziness - how many songs does he want to write that retread the path worn by Walk On? - but I like Cliché Edge so this doesn't bother me so much. I love his general sound, so variations on his stock standard chiming leads are unlikely to irk me. But I also loved Bono at the height of his lyrical powers so it's disappointing that I now find myself identifying him as the cause of so many ills.

Unknown Caller is their worst song IMO - not just on No Line, but ever. The lyrics are indeed atrocious, made even worse by their pretensions of being super profound. The music is anemic, as is that solo (not sure what people see in that). Plus it goes on for what feels like an eternity with absolutely nothing to justify the length. At least something like Boots is over in 3 minutes.

The only songs on NLOTH that I don't like are the middle three. Even UC is about a hundred times more interesting to me than most of SOI despite (or perhaps because of) its flaws.

With you on that.

I dont find Horizon to be a largely in-offensive album, other than stand up comedy and boots. There’s a fair bit of boring stuff in there, but you can at least tell the band were trying something different and less safe in general. Ill always respect that.

Moment of Surrender is a quality song, although Ive always felt that it would sound better with Bono toning it down during the verses. It might not make it better, but I’d like to hear what that sounds like.

Some good lyrics in that one to go with a lovely song musically.

It's frustrating just how many songs on recent albums make me think "this would be great if it weren't for Bono". There are the occasional moments of Edge laziness - how many songs does he want to write that retread the path worn by Walk On? - but I like Cliché Edge so this doesn't bother me so much. I love his general sound, so variations on his stock standard chiming leads are unlikely to irk me. But I also loved Bono at the height of his lyrical powers so it's disappointing that I now find myself identifying him as the cause of so many ills.

Bono has unquestionably been the biggest reason why U2’s output has been largely dismissed for the past 20 years or so.

He constantly gets in the way, whereas in the past I feel he complimented what the rest of the band were doing. Thats putting it mildly, as Bono used to be a hero to me and his lyrics from the first two decades still largely stand out as being fantastic.

I mean... how many qualifiers do you all read here from people that say something to the effect of “for a post Pop tune, _____ is actually pretty good”.

That post 2000 qualifier is used so much that it's apparently universally understood that that’s when U2, more specifically Bono started pandering. I think... pandering might be the right word?

Was this the spark we've been missing in our relationship?
giphy.gif

Good to know I'm not crazy. I bought two tickets for one show of the 5-night stand in LA, and one ticket for the next night. I wonder if it had something to do with added shows? Like somehow the limit was reset/not restricted for those dates?
The 2 ticket thing is only for U2.com presale, the limit for overall tix was higher and it was per show (I think it was 6 per person per show, may have been 4 not sure) whereas your U2.com membership only got you 2 tix for the entire tour leg.

In cities like LA, Chicago & Boston, GA for the added shows were easier to get in public on sale.
I got 2 GA for Boston 3 with my presale code, my buddy Jack got 2 GA for Boston 1 with his presale code. I got 2 GA for Boston 4 in the general sale. Only one wasn't able to get was Boston 2 as it was a Saturday. (I was trying for GA for that one in the initial presale while Jack was tasked with the Friday show, got shut out and held my code for the added shows which dropped a week later)
Then the day before Boston 1, I grabbed 2 more GA on a release for a couple of other friends who wanted to go and joined us.

Last edited:
Late to the game, but best 5 from this millennium:

Ground Beneath Her Feet
Beautiful Day
Fez/BB
Breathe
Cedarwood Road

Maybe it was Axver way back when who said the level of conviction on Cedarwood Road was more affecting than anything since Pop, and I've come to agree with that. The last minute or so is really moving. And for Breathe, it has one of the few recent vocal experiments from Bono that has paid off. Great energy on that one.

This is true.

I may just have to be New York though, cause I have to account for the possibility of a long playoff run and thus work responsibilities.

When are the Toronto / Montreal shows?

Montreal is June 5, predicting June 6 as the add on, and then on to Uniondale.

Toronto has no shows - yet. People talking about the ACC being held for either the Leafs or Raptors playoff finals. They're dreaming.

Lots of time after Atlanta. Could fully see U2 doing June 2, 3 in Toronto, day off, then Montreal June 5,6

That's my prediction.

Montreal is June 5, predicting June 6 as the add on, and then on to Uniondale.

Toronto has no shows - yet. People talking about the ACC being held for either the Leafs or Raptors playoff finals. They're dreaming.

Lots of time after Atlanta. Could fully see U2 doing June 2, 3 in Toronto, day off, then Montreal June 5,6

That's my prediction.
So little known fact... The night of the U2 show in DC is also the NBA's hold date for Game 7 of the NBA Finals, so on the outside chance that the Wizards both advance to the finals and have home court AND go to a game 7, the concert will be pushed to Monday. It's blocked off on the venue scheduler.

Well if we are all going it...

Beautiful Day
Moment of Surrender
City of Blinding Lights
The Troubles
Sleep Like a Baby

HM: Invisible

Yep. Might as well:

New York
The Hands that Built America (mainly because it coincided with my move from Scotland to NJ, so - obvious soppy reasons)
City Of Blinding Lights
Cedars Of Lebanon
This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now

And notable mentions to Stateless and Winter (Linear)

So little known fact... The night of the U2 show in DC is also the NBA's hold date for Game 7 of the NBA Finals, so on the outside chance that the Wizards both advance to the finals and have home court AND go to a game 7, the concert will be pushed to Monday. It's blocked off on the venue scheduler.

Yeah there's a good stretch between Atlanta and Montreal there where they could get creative with show dates in Toronto, pending playoff results...unlike you tho I don't have access to the ACC venue.

Did you register for the Washington onsale too? I know you don't really need to, but for me it's a weekend date so, attractive..

Yeah there's a good stretch between Atlanta and Montreal there where they could get creative with show dates in Toronto, pending playoff results...unlike you tho I don't have access to the ACC venue.

Did you register for the Washington onsale too? I know you don't really need to, but for me it's a weekend date so, attractive..
Wait you have to register for the shows? This shit's confusing.

Sorry if others have answered this already, but for current U2.com subscribers do we have to pay again to register for the pre-sales?

Wait you have to register for the shows? This shit's confusing.

Sorry if others have answered this already, but for current U2.com subscribers do we have to pay again to register for the pre-sales?

Gump: no.

Both of ya: You can register to receive a code for the ONSALE for each show. That's the public sale. Every single last ticket holder will have to do this, which is the intent of the Verified Fan system.

But you will still get access to the Subscriber Presale if you don't, if you have the green Setup Complete in your U2.com profile. They are two separate sale events. (please note the distinction between Verified Subscriber and Verified Fan, not the same thing)

If you want to attend multiple shows, though, it's probably a good idea to register for the ONSALEs in those additional shows, in case you can't get tickets to them in the Presale.

For example, in the Subscriber Presale, I want to try for Montreal. I also want Washington, for example. There's no guarantee that once I get thru purchasing Montreal, that I'll have time to get Washington also (in the presale). Hell, there's no guarantee I'll even get Montreal. So by registering for the public onsale, I get another shot.

Make sense? I think this is how it works

Gump: no.

Both of ya: You can register to receive a code for the ONSALE for each show. That's the public sale. Every single last ticket holder will have to do this, which is the intent of the Verified Fan system.

But you will still get access to the Subscriber Presale if you don't, if you have the green Setup Complete in your U2.com profile. They are two separate sale events. (please note the distinction between Verified Subscriber and Verified Fan, not the same thing)

If you want to attend multiple shows, though, it's probably a good idea to register for the ONSALEs in those additional shows, in case you can't get tickets to them in the Presale.

For example, in the Subscriber Presale, I want to try for Montreal. I also want Washington, for example. There's no guarantee that once I get thru purchasing Montreal, that I'll have time to get Washington also (in the presale). Hell, there's no guarantee I'll even get Montreal. So by registering for the public onsale, I get another shot.

Make sense? I think this is how it works
I'm still confused. My setup on U2.com is listed as "incomplete", and one of the things they're asking me to do is to renew my subscription, this despite the fact my subscription expires on Jan. 6, 2018. So to access the U2.com presale I'll have to re-subscribe when I shouldn't have to.

I'm still confused. My setup on U2.com is listed as "incomplete", and one of the things they're asking me to do is to renew my subscription, this despite the fact my subscription expires on Jan. 6, 2018. So to access the U2.com presale I'll have to re-subscribe when I shouldn't have to.

Resubscribe NOW.

My expiry was February 16, 2018.

I re-upped, and my expiry is now February 16, 2019

You won't lose any time of your subscription, this is just how they probably need to do it to ensure all subscribers get migrated to the new Verified Subscriber database.

Also, if you've used your previous code for JT shows, it kinda makes sense, given that the next round of presales is happening before your new code allotment.

Thanks for the detailed explanation - really appreciate it.

Hey just to clarify - if you're a current subscriber and your sub is up for renewal soon or sometime early 2018, yes you're going to have to plunk down $40 to get the green "Setup Complete" message on your Account screen, thus guaranteeing eligibility to the Verified Subscriber presale. See my comment to BoMac there above, also.

My earlier comment was meant to address whether or not you need to pay additional money to be a Verified Fan registered for the individual show public onsales. No, no payment needed for that, it's just a way to attempt to get only Verified Fans participating in the general sales. Said Verified Fans may or may not also be U2.com subscribers.

No, it really doesn't make sense. I paid for a one-year subscription, and I still have two months left. I only used my code to buy one ticket for one show. I shouldn't have to shell out another $50.

This is to make sure we all re-subscribe, because people may have not done so once they bought their concert tickets.

No, it really doesn't make sense. I paid for a one-year subscription, and I still have two months left. I only used my code to buy one ticket for one show. I shouldn't have to shell out another $50.

This is to make sure we all re-subscribe, because people may have not done so once they bought their concert tickets.

If you have eligibility left because you only used 1 "slot" to purchase tickets on JT2017, then I think I've seen some contacting LN and getting their codes back (don't quote me on that, I used up all my codes so I have no reason to test this out).

Having said that, there might have been something in the FAQ last time about presale codes that indicated that if you didn't use them all on any of the legs of JT2017, then you probably forfeit them.

Technically it's a 2018 tour, so you'd need a 2018 subscription for 2018 codes. Your sub is clearly a 2017 sub if it expires early January ;)

Back
Top Bottom