Shuttlecock XVIII - SAVE US, REFU-JESUS - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2017, 09:42 PM   #106
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Am I the only one hoping for a live mash-up of Get Out and The Refugee? Time to bring back another unsung 80s deep cut!

Whoa oh eeyo ohh/I'm not a refujesus!

Can you somehow tie the Tom Petty song in there as well? Thanks.

Old 11-02-2017, 09:58 PM   #107
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
I just find your hopefulness and positivity odd. Were it not U2, you'd have disowned the band/music years ago. You hold them to a different standard.

Was chatting with the Dep! he was firmly on my side

Boots sucked. NLOTH was ok.

Miracle sucked. SOI was good.

I think there's reason for optimism.

Old 11-02-2017, 09:58 PM   #108
The Male

Local Time: 05:50 AM
Quote:
So what? Amnesiac only had 10 tracks and one of them was an alternate version of something on Kid A.

I don't know why this is being met with such resistance; we always knew these were companion albums, even if it wasn't made clear some of the material from one would be repurposed for the other. It's not like they put Always on No Line or something.
I understand that this is a furor over nothing, but comparing SOE to Amnesiac is ridiculous. Not only was that album released 9 months after its predecessor, but it was comprised of songs from the same sessions. It's a glorified b sides comp.

U2 fans have been waiting over 3 years for SOE and there's reason to believe that 2 of its 13 tracks are repurposed oldies? That's lame. Doesn't prevent the album from being worthwhile, of course, but there's no similarity between Radiohead's situation and U2's.

Now.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:01 PM   #109
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I understand that this is a furor over nothing, but comparing SOE to Amnesiac is ridiculous. Not only was that album released 9 months after its predecessor, but it was comprised of songs from the same sessions. It's a glorified b sides comp.

U2 fans have been waiting over 3 years for SOE and there's reason to believe that 2 of its 13 tracks are repurposed oldies? That's lame. Doesn't prevent the album from being worthwhile, of course, but there's no similarity between Radiohead's situation and U2's.

I find it strange that we've been "waiting" for three years. By U2 standards, that's not even that long.

I'm not waiting for anything. I don't expect them to make new music that's amazing. It's all bonus. It's also not a big deal if it sucks. I would be disappointed if the next Future Islands album were crap. Or the Airborne Toxic Event. U2 are old. They have a plethora of my favorite music. I'm cool with just handpicking one or two songs from their new album to like.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:04 PM   #110
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
I find it strange that we've been "waiting" for three years. By U2 standards, that's not even that long.

I'm not waiting for anything. I don't expect them to make new music that's amazing. It's all bonus. It's also not a big deal if it sucks. I would be disappointed if the next Future Islands album were crap. Or the Airborne Toxic Event. U2 are old. They have a plethora of my favorite music. I'm cool with just handpicking one or two songs from their new album to like.
Well, they have been waiting that long. That is the time elapsed between the two releases. The degree of anguish one has experienced in the process is subjective.

Personally I would be OK with U2 never releasing another album or perhaps pursuing solo careers for a bit, but that's immaterial to this discussion.

Now.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:05 PM   #111
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 12:50 AM
Given I only expected 11 songs and knew that SOE was a companion to SOI, having 2 out of 13 repurpose material from SOI doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Repurposing SFS and Volcano rather than the good shit does. Well, maybe 13 (There Is a Light) will find a way to make some part of SFS good.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-02-2017, 10:08 PM   #112
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Given I only expected 11 songs and knew that SOE was a companion to SOI, having 2 out of 13 repurpose material from SOI doesn't bother me in the slightest.
Bingo. Thank you for having some perspective about it.

Either the new songs are good or not. That's all that matters to me. I think American Soul sounded decent after one listen. If "13" is some redo of SFS, hopefully it will be an improvement because it can't get much lamer.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:17 PM   #113
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Never.

And if I did it would be to my custom HTDAAB tracklist. You can definitely make a good album out of that era's material. You can get a decent EP from the others, but not a full album.
Challenge accepted. But it's an easy challenge for me because I like these albums. They're not Achtung or Joshua or UF, but I like them.

With ATYCLB all I have to do is replace POE with Ground Beneath Her Feet. Maybe Stateless for Grace as well(though I don't dislike Grace as much as some of you do).

1. Beautiful Day
2. Stuck In A Moment
3. Elevation
4. Walk On
5. Kite
6. In A Little While
7. Wild Honey
8. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
9. When I Look At The World
10. New York
11. Stateless

NLOTH is tough, because it's so compromised. I can put together a short 39-minute album...

1. NLOTH
2. Soon
3. Fez-BB
4. Magnificent
5. MOS
6. White As Snow
7. Winter(Linear)
8. Cedars

For SOI, I could really make a list using 12 out of the 14 tracks that came out of those sessions(I'd only cut SFS from the album proper). I love SOI. But most of you don't like the single-heavy front-half, so I'll make list that omits most of it.

1. This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
2. Invisible
3. Iris
4. Every Breaking Wave
5. Volcano
6. Raised By Wolves
7. Cedarwood Road
8. Sleep Like A Baby Tonight
9. The Crystal Ballroom
10. The Troubles
Old 11-02-2017, 10:31 PM   #114
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
there's no similarity between Radiohead's situation and U2's.
Except that the lead singers are both diminutive and pretentious.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:31 PM   #115
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

Also let’s not overlook the fact that the song Radiohead were “repeating” was contained in freaking Kid A, not SOI.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:35 PM   #116
45:33

Local Time: 12:50 AM

Let's trigger Laz. Treefingers > all of SoI
Old 11-02-2017, 10:41 PM   #117
The Male

Radiohead is amazing at repurposing old material too. In Rainbows and A Moon Shaped Pool are loaded with familiar tracks and those albums are masterful.

Now.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:05 PM   #118
Blue Crack Addict

I had never even seen a shooting star before. Then I listened to Songs of Innocence on my iPhone.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:14 PM   #119
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Bingo. Thank you for having some perspective about it.

Either the new songs are good or not. That's all that matters to me. I think American Soul sounded decent after one listen. If "13" is some redo of SFS, hopefully it will be an improvement because it can't get much lamer.
Good point, I have no problem with SFS as it is, but if they're able to improve it, then hey, nothing wrong with that.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:17 AM   #120
Blue Crack Addict

Anybody wanna smoke a bowl and go see Thor: Ragnarok tomorrow?