Shuttlecock XVIII - SAVE US, REFU-JESUS - Page 48 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2017, 02:39 PM   #706
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:42 PM
The Doors' self-titled debut should be up there. Light My Fire, The End, Break On Through, The Crystal Ship, Take It As It Comes, etc.

Old 11-10-2017, 02:45 PM   #707
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
The Doors' self-titled debut should be up there. Light My Fire, The End, Break On Through, The Crystal Ship, Take It As It Comes, etc.
I almost mentioned that one as well.

Old 11-10-2017, 02:47 PM   #708
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:42 PM
Little Earthquakes by Tori Amos was quite a debut, even if she's not as influential as some of the other artists being mentioned here.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:07 PM   #709
ONE
love, blood, life

^That's a good one.

Lennon's Plastic Ono Band probably should get a mention.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:24 PM   #710
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
That's a very un-fat picture to go along with "LOL BONO IS FAT" jokes. Do better.

Yeah if at his age in that picture my body is no worse than that, I won't be disappointed
Old 11-10-2017, 03:37 PM   #711
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:42 AM
That pic literally had a link that ended in "bono-fat.jpg".

I should have just posted the one of him reaching into his swimsuit for his junk again.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:51 PM   #712
The Male

Djerdap's avatar is the go-to fat Bono pic.

Now.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:28 PM   #713
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:42 PM
For those of you who don't do EYKIW, I've put that "big data" U2 thing I've been talking about over in EYKIW. If you're interested, please go here:

U2 Catalog: The Ultimate Ranking Survey

for further information and upates.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:40 PM   #714
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Look, The Beatles are the most important band ever, but it's not because of Please Please Me. That record did not change the world. Hell, the Beatles invasion in 1964 in the United States wasn't even particularly reliant on it even though "Love Me Do" ended up hitting #1 in all the commotion.

The Velvet Underground & Nico flat out led to practically everything in the indie/underground sphere including insanely popular mainstream acts like Bowie, and yes, Shuttlecock. It was recently picked as #1 on Pitchfork's 1960s albums list with only A Hard Day's Night representing the early Beatles.

The way I see it, you have to look at both the overall quality of the album at hand (and Please Please Me is no 10/10 unlike many other debut albums) and also the influence that the record had. You will basically always find Velvet Underground & Nico as the highest ranking debut album in every all-time albums list or any other list that it would be eligible for...that one LP is responsible for inspiring more great acts than any other.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:52 PM   #715
Blue Crack Addict

if we're talking about importance then i agree that they're at least 1-2.

and i also agree that velvet underground is far better musically.

please please me's quality is in its raw energy, rather than the music itself. twist and shout is a pretty basic song, but the delivery is what makes it something people still listen to almost 55 years later.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:29 AM   #716
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacPhisto View Post
Look, The Beatles are the most important band ever, but it's not because of Please Please Me. That record did not change the world. Hell, the Beatles invasion in 1964 in the United States wasn't even particularly reliant on it even though "Love Me Do" ended up hitting #1 in all the commotion.

The Velvet Underground & Nico flat out led to practically everything in the indie/underground sphere including insanely popular mainstream acts like Bowie, and yes, Shuttlecock. It was recently picked as #1 on Pitchfork's 1960s albums list with only A Hard Day's Night representing the early Beatles.

The way I see it, you have to look at both the overall quality of the album at hand (and Please Please Me is no 10/10 unlike many other debut albums) and also the influence that the record had. You will basically always find Velvet Underground & Nico as the highest ranking debut album in every all-time albums list or any other list that it would be eligible for...that one LP is responsible for inspiring more great acts than any other.
Come on, every list? Just to name one example, RS put the Beastie Boys' Licensed To Ill as their #1 debut of all time. I'm not defending that selection at all, I'm just saying, saying it tops 'every list' is a bit silly.

Velvet Underground was #5 on the same list.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:21 AM   #717
Blue Crack Addict

For me I’d say off the top of my head, my top debut albums of all time would include these:

U2: Boy
Fleet Foxes: Fleet Foxes
Led Zeppelin: I
The Beatles: Please Please Me
The Strokes: Is This It?
Weezer: The Blue Album
Pearl Jam: Ten
Mutemath: Mutemath

But I haven’t listened to nearly as much music as a lot of you.
Old 11-11-2017, 02:19 AM   #718
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:42 AM
Perhaps there should be a different category, for most insignificant debuts by artists who later grossly exceeded all expectations *coughpablohoneycough*.
Old 11-11-2017, 02:36 AM   #719
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
Perhaps there should be a different category, for most insignificant debuts by artists who later grossly exceeded all expectations *coughpablohoneycough*.
I had this exact thought earlier. As you say, Pablo Honey immediately springs to mind.

Bowie's 1967 self-titled debut. I'll admit that while I'm familiar with most of Bowie's work, I haven't actually ever listened to this one. But I don't think I've ever actually seen anyone here or anywhere else talk about it much, so I'm assuming it's nothing special. Maybe I'm wrong.

RHCP's self-titled debut. I know RHCP aren't popular here so I'll probably be alone on this. But I find their debut to be nearly unlistenable, and it's amazing that they eventually ended up making great records like BloodSugarSexMagik, Californication, etc.

Maybe Nirvana's debut, Bleach?
Old 11-11-2017, 02:58 AM   #720
Refugee

Local Time: 08:42 AM
Rolling Stones. A debut entirely made up of covers. Average musicianship. Sure they were riding the British Invasion etc and they brought blues to the masses.
But I doubt anyone hearing that debut would have believed they'd be responsible for Exile a few years later.