Shuttlecock XVIII - SAVE US, REFU-JESUS - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2017, 01:24 AM   #31
45:33

Local Time: 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Hey, guess what? I like every song on ATYCLB and The Bomb, still think the latter is a solid album, like/love every song on No Line save for Cock Crazy and SUCk, and love the second half of SOI+California. And I think Best Thing and Get Out are close to botttom of the barrel for this band. They do, in fact, suck. Coldplayesque, watered-down, without teeth. On the latter, the pandering in the form of a BD clone with those fake-sounding drums is shameful, trying to recapture past glory. Whatever thematic qualities may be in the lyrics are ruined by verbiage and awkward construction/delivery. I'd take the energetic mess of Boots over either of those songs in a heartbeat (though I won't go so far as Cobbler and put SUC above them).

Now having said all that I love The Blackout (at least the live version, haven't heard the other), and think American Soul has a lot of energy and a good beat. The repurposing of Volcano doesn't bother me because I really love Volcano, but I don't think it's as good, even if it has more "depth". I'm optimistic that I'll like half the rest of the songs, but realistic enough to know the other half might be cut from the same damp cloth as the first two singles.

Bottom line is that the band has been crippled by second-guessing and despy ploys for relevance and the albums have suffered increasingly. I think ATYCLB's material is the weakest (in execution, at least) post-2000 and don't like Eno's strategy of writing more and recording less, but at least they stuck with a plan. It doesn't feel compromised outside of the band recoiling from the experimentation of the 90s. Frankly, I think the people who can't acknowledge this trajectory and still want to put a happy face on everything come off like Pollyannas. It's equally frustrating to see people writing off everything in kneejerk fashion.

Since I'm sitting in the middle I'll just proclaim that I'm the only one being sensible and objective.
Finally, a little bit of the Laz I actually like, not Pollyanna Laz

Old 11-02-2017, 01:56 AM   #32
The Male

Local Time: 07:52 PM
Good stuff, Dave. I was at a concert and couldn't make this thread myself.

I really hate the new U2 music, but hopefully the new album has some hidden gems.

Now.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:44 AM   #33
The Male

Why aren't we talking more about the album cover?

Personally, I think it's at least a step up over the last few. Wish they'd splash on some color at some point though.

Now.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:47 AM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-Up
Shuttlecock XVIII - SAVE US, REFU-JESUS

Blackout is the only track I have liked so far.

Best Thing is an inoffensive pop song. I don't hate it, but it didn't take long to tire of it.

Get Out of Your Own Way is a complete fucking mess. I honestly wondered if they sampled Beautiful Day the first time I heard it, and the repeated lyrics sound like something One Direction would think a clever idea.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:01 AM   #35
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Why aren't we talking more about the album cover?

Personally, I think it's at least a step up over the last few. Wish they'd splash on some color at some point though.

It's possibly the best aspect of the album so far, apart from Blackout. I like it. Not so sure about the blue border that the deluxe seems to get, but whatever.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-02-2017, 04:08 AM   #36
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Hey, guess what? I like every song on ATYCLB and The Bomb, still think the latter is a solid album, like/love every song on No Line save for Cock Crazy and SUCk, and love the second half of SOI+California. And I think Best Thing and Get Out are close to botttom of the barrel for this band. They do, in fact, suck. Coldplayesque, watered-down, without teeth. On the latter, the pandering in the form of a BD clone with those fake-sounding drums is shameful, trying to recapture past glory. Whatever thematic qualities may be in the lyrics are ruined by verbiage and awkward construction/delivery. I'd take the energetic mess of Boots over either of those songs in a heartbeat (though I won't go so far as Cobbler and put SUC above them).

Now having said all that I love The Blackout (at least the live version, haven't heard the other), and think American Soul has a lot of energy and a good beat. The repurposing of Volcano doesn't bother me because I really love Volcano, but I don't think it's as good, even if it has more "depth". I'm optimistic that I'll like half the rest of the songs, but realistic enough to know the other half might be cut from the same damp cloth as the first two singles.

Bottom line is that the band has been crippled by second-guessing and despy ploys for relevance and the albums have suffered increasingly. I think ATYCLB's material is the weakest (in execution, at least) post-2000 and don't like Eno's strategy of writing more and recording less, but at least they stuck with a plan. It doesn't feel compromised outside of the band recoiling from the experimentation of the 90s. Frankly, I think the people who can't acknowledge this trajectory and still want to put a happy face on everything come off like Pollyannas. It's equally frustrating to see people writing off everything in kneejerk fashion.

Since I'm sitting in the middle I'll just proclaim that I'm the only one being sensible and objective.
Hey, guess what? I was making generalizations Sensitive Sally.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:09 AM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:52 PM
walk it back jack
don't need a weatherman stan
to know which way ray
the wind is blowing
Old 11-02-2017, 06:22 AM   #38
New Yorker

I'm mostly ok with post-2000 U2 but I don't think I've been more annoyed by a U2 song than American soul. It just leaves me a bit numb and disappointed. It feels like an unofficial remix to a unfinished volcano. I keep trying to rewrite sentences to get the right words here. Ugh.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:36 AM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:52 PM
I got
an American Soul!
hope I dddd-die
before it gets sold!

American Soul
Yeah yeah yeah
Lincoln's ghost
shakes his hair
American Sold!
Pig War Machine!
Stature of Liberty!
Yeah Yeah Yeah

American Soul
come and lick my
American soul
bigger than coca cola
hope it stays cold

<Rage Against The Machine 'American Eyes' snippet>

I am
An American Soul
I sold
my american SOUL!
YEAH YEAH YEAH
< inaudible screams>
Old 11-02-2017, 06:37 AM   #40

I'm quite alarmed by reports that TWO of the album's songs are retakes of two songs from the previous album.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:05 AM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
Counter point

No one heard the old songs.
Dude, 500 Million people heard the last album. Most widely owned album in the history of The Milky Way by a large margin.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:32 AM   #42

I love you Hewson mate but that is categorically untrue.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:35 AM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
I love you Hewson mate but that is categorically untrue.
They don't have this thing called sarcasm in Australia?
What a sad place.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:38 AM   #44
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
Dude, 500 Million people heard the last album. Most widely owned album in the history of The Milky Way by a large margin.
FORCE QUlT AND MOVE TO TRASH
Old 11-02-2017, 08:44 AM   #45
Vocal parasite

500 million people received the last album.

490 million deleted it.

9 million get the occasional surprise when some shit like Song for Someone suddenly comes on.

1 million were curious enough to give it a whirl of their own volition.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog