Shuttlecock XVIII - SAVE US, REFU-JESUS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The version actually in the film has that long intro with the electric guitar soloing, considerably better than what's on that atrocity of a Best Of collection and that above clip.

It's still pretty weak though. So glad they didn't win an Oscar for it.
I actually ripped that version off the DVD and that's the only one I'll ever listen to.

I hadn't heard Sometimes in years, and never cared for it much but reading the thread it dawned on me...this was about his father. Of course. I had inexplicably forgotten about that song lately.

My dad died 2 weeks ago. He is/was the reason for my passion in music. I lived with him and took care of him as his health failed him. I am forcing myself to confront it and deal with it. Pretty well emotionally spent by now...but it is what it is.

So I just listened to both versions for the first time in years. My impressions are the same as they ever were, I suppose. The album cut is overwrought and doesn't strike me as anything but forced. Even as I sit here feet away from where I saw my own father take his last breath (he was home on hospice).

But the alternate AKA the original, feels much more sincere and meaningful. Tasteful. Listening to the album version, I didn't even really notice the "house don't make a home/don't leave me here alone" because I was being inundated with "this is the BIG moment!" but in the alternate, it was the only thing that almost made me cry. 'Sometimes' on the album is like the final minutes of Schindler's List with Neeson on the train tracks and John Williams cueing up the "this is where you're supposed to cry" moment. Distracting. The original feels much more real. Raw. Not a great song anyway...but it is more impacting.

Anyhow...I am always loathe to share personal things here or on other forums but I thought it was a unique enough perspective to share. I'm 42, I think Bono was 41 or 42 when his dad died. Him being a hugely famous and rich rock star and me being a nobody doesn't mean anything. Its the same thing. Your dad is your dad. Some didn't get a good one. Fortunately I did.

My dad loved Streets. Particularly the ZooTV version. Among others he loved Exit from Rattle and Hum. Years ago (like 1993/94?) he'd catch me watching the Sydney VHS and watch it with me. He liked the theatrics of Daddy's Gonna Pay. Yeah, I indoctrinated him with some U2 (and occasionally some REM, Pearl Jam etc.). And he gave me my love of so many things...from the Beatles to Neil Diamond among many others. Forgive me and indulge me here, folks. I haven't been around much lately. Been a rough period.

It's a shame Sometimes is not a better song. Take the personalized emotional element out and it's pretty contrived. Thin and schmaltzy. It just doesn't 'get there'. While somehow every single song about his mother does. From IWF to Iris.

Sorry to hear about your Dad.
My Dad passed late October 2004 (the day after the Red Sox won the World Series which made for quite the emotional rollercoaster for me), and the Bomb came out about 3 weeks later, so I had a bit of a connection with the song at that time. Though I connected more with Pearl Jam's Man of the Hour which I saw them play a month before my Dad passed, and knowing he was on his way out was one of the 2 times I can say I got emotional at a rock concert.
Sounds like you had a good relationship with your Dad, keep those good memories alive.

Hey, better a minor tax kerfuffle than finding out your favorite rock star's a pedophile or serial abuser, am I right?

Zooropa/All I Want Is You/Lemon/A Sort of Homecoming is my Rushmore these days. Wouldn't argue with anyone listing one of those as their favorite.

Last edited:
Streets/Zooropa/A Sort of Homecoming/Out of Control

Those are pretty consistently my top 4 songs.

Bad/Beautiful Day/All I Want is You/One

One probably ins and outs with a couple of songs.

Sue me for loving some power songs.

Interference: 1000 ways to make a list

A Sort of Homecoming / One Tree Hill / Heartland / 11 O'clock Tick Tock.

That's the top four and I won't hear otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom