Shuttlecock XVIII - SAVE US, REFU-JESUS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
giphy.gif

When your serve goes out,
throw a fit about
the call to the referee.

When your serve goes out,
don't you ever doubt
the line that you can clearly see.

When the match is lost but the match is not your priority
Full of shuttlecocks, whiter than an Osmond's teeth
Oh you've lost enough when the birdie's just out of reach
You're just bad enough to hit that bird worse than Robin Leach

You're the net strings that block me
The net strings that ever demised a court

Last edited:
Good lord, this album is surely going to be a flat-out zero...can't wait to see Rolling Stone and the band's media friends give it 5-star reviews while everyone else (rightfully) goes in for the kill.

Still got my U2 fan club membership for this year's Joshua Tree tour and at least two leftover codes (and they will probably hand out more for the new tour anyway). Just don't even fucking care to see them in San Jose.

"Here's a screen that makes it hard for half the audience to see anything"

"Here's us playing at least half a dozen atrocious new songs"

"Here's us murdering all the old classics as we continue to age"

Seriously, for the super fans it all boils down to wasting hours of your time and ponying up considerable sums of money to hear about three rarities on a given night as everything else is either garbage or old hat. They have become a colossal joke and these new songs are arguably the worst attempt at relevance I've ever heard from a dinosaur rock act. I mean, really, you want to sound like the world's shittiest rock bands just because they can get a Top 40 hit once in awhile? At least this new LP will end once and for all the fiction that U2 even remotely is aware of what's been going on in good new music for the past 25 years.

Last edited:
A lot of love for Walk On in here. IMO that one is so syrupy it could cause flippin diabetes.

I bet I can't be the only one that loved this song and now never want to hear it again due to Suu Kyi revealing her true colors. Ugh. Should be outright banned from all future tours.

Of interest, since you brought it up, the band/Bono has finally addressed the Myanmar disgustingness:

U2 > News > Myanmar: Open Letter To UN

I still have a soft spot for Walk On because, while I am not generally someone who can say things like "that song got me through a hard time" ..... that song got me through a hard time.

Maybe Song for Someone or Troubles may sneak into acoustic sets on occasions. California may continue to be snippeted.

I'd actually bet on "California" being a tour staple on the next tour...for quite a few reasons.

1) This new album lacks rock stuff of that nature based on the four tracks we have heard so far...like are they only going to do "new" material that's basically fluffy pop stuff?

2) It was barely played at all on the last tour.

3) They tired out all the SOI stuff, leaving "California" as the de facto live cut from that album as the other barely or not played stuff (Troubles, Baby, etc.) is just kind of weird for an arena show.

4) It was clearly their best chance at a radio hit in the United States from the last album. It fits in with AAA radio (U2's top format here) perfectly. Crazy missed opportunity.

I'll also never understand why "Crazy Tonight" hasn't made its way into setlists in its original version. The Letterman performance was great and it's a much catchier track than anything else from NLOTH and SOI...would go down well with the casuals just like "City" always does.

My top five for the hell of it...

Would Be #1 But Ugh: Walk On

1. Beautiful Day
2. City of Blinding Lights
3. Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
4. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
5. Kite

A lot of great pop stuff while still being U2. Unlike now where they're aping shit that nobody above the age of 30 (or with taste) would ever want to listen to.

To me, this band weirdly has eras where their quality of songwriting went deeper and deeper into the toilet..it's like they can't help but become more mediocre as time goes on whereas most acts just kind of flatline and it's pretty much all on the same level of general lameness.

NLOTH era > SOI era > SOE era

It's not entirely that way for me. "California" and maybe "Invisible" can hold their own with a good chunk of the previous eras material just as "Little Things" can with the last album. But they basically lost their ability to craft a classic song after HTDAAB and make a good album after NLOTH. Now they seem to have mostly lost the ability to make anything that's even remotely listenable.

And for what it's worth. I'm not angered by any of this. Most acts got older and then churned out crummy material and I am glad that U2 was still able to profoundly move me with great tunes through 2009. This hasn't raped my childhood the way Pearl Jam did with the avacado album when they basically gave up writing any melodies and just decided thrashing out some guitar jams would be enough.

But they basically lost their ability to craft a classic song after HTDAAB and make a good album after NLOTH.

Ehhh for my money there are more truly great, creative songs on NLOTH than HTDAAB. A lot of nice U2-sounding stuff on HTDAAB, but it's severely lacking in classic tracks. COBL maybe?

Trashes recent U2, then sings the praises of Cock Crazy. :huh:

It's a catchy tune that was unfairly maligned around here. Got to wonder what the fans who didn't care for ATYCLB and went crazy for the "rawk" follow-ups feel about an entire album on the way that invokes their worst pop tendencies of this century with even worse results than before?

But, regardless, I'm sure the lists will happen and Interference users will be slotting this in their Top 5 immediately. I will just never be able to wrap my head around anybody trying to convince themselves that these songs are anywhere near to even the standard they set for themselves in this century let alone the previous one.

I don't love Crazy Tonight, but I like it. The only one of the dreaded Middle Three on NLOTH I truly dislike is Stand Up Comedy. The three songs don't really fit, but I still like two of them.

NLOTH SOI and SOE are not different eras.

They are when you take like five fucking years to put out a new LP. There's also little in common between any of these musically which is kind of surprising given how quickly they had begun writing for SOE and already had some tracks on the back burner from the previous sessions. Say what you will about SOI but they were at least trying to reach for the stars like usual. SOE is them just putting out a cheese burger since they feel that will appeal to the most people.

Back
Top Bottom