Shuttlecock XVII - The Best Title That Ever Happened a Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what I was thinking today as I was listening to these songs: one day they'll open the vault and we'll hear the Chris Thomas version of Bomb, the original version of NLOTH before they neutered it with the middle 3, and what SOI would have sounded like if they had kept all of the Danger Mouse songs.

And when when we do, I'll bet we'll hear a band in top form, a band that is perhaps not where they were at their peak in the 80s and 90s, but pretty darn close. We'll wonder what could have been.

Instead we're left with this Ryan Tedder crap, and my all-time favourite band is a shadow of its former self.

But, hey, they'll once again have the highest grossing tour of the year next year, and that's all they seem to care about these days.

This thread doesn't deserve to have a song as good as Conrad Tokyo mentioned in it, Mack.

This is what I was thinking today as I was listening to these songs: one day they'll open the vault and we'll hear the Chris Thomas version of Bomb, the original version of NLOTH before they neutered it with the middle 3, and what SOI would have sounded like if they had kept all of the Danger Mouse songs.

And when when we do, I'll bet we'll hear a band in top form, a band that is perhaps not where they were at their peak in the 80s and 90s, but pretty darn close. We'll wonder what could have been.

Instead we're left with this Ryan Tedder crap, and my all-time favourite band is a shadow of its former self.

But, hey, they'll once again have the highest grossing tour of the year next year, and that's all they seem to care about these days.

:up::up:

I dunno... The Chris Thomas songs we did hear make.my ears bleed.

I do want to hear the Rubin songs and especially the full Danger Mouse SOI.

Yeah, the only early version of a song from HTDAAB that's better than the original is Native Son. Everything else is pretty shit. It's like "so you think SYCMIOYO couldn't get any more boring? Think again!"

We don't know how much they 'polished' those early versions for release to the masses.

Christ are the new ones really this bad?

I'm usually late to the game with their new stuff, so reading through the initial reactions makes me think they must be so awful that when I eventually hear them, there's no way they can live up to the anti-hype.

Christ are the new ones really this bad?

I'm usually late to the game with their new stuff, so reading through the initial reactions makes me think they must be so awful that when I eventually hear them, there's no way they can live up to the anti-hype.

I'm kind of surprised just how much LM and Cobbler hate GOO Your Own Way, because it's just so plain that after six listens I'm struggling to come up with any strong impression. It's definitely not U2's worst song ever.

American Soul frustrates me because it's so close to being worthy of standing alongside The Blackout, but it's sunk by some of Bono's worst lyrical blunders. The rest of the band sound about as on-form as it's reasonable to expect these days.

Put it this way: if it wasn't U2, my reaction would have been a shrug of the shoulders and "well that's not a very good song" and then I'd never have given it another thought.

But I hold U2 to a higher standard than that.

If it weren't U2 I would have played it once and promptly forgotten about its existence.

I suspect it's this album's Reach Around for me - a song so plain it goes in one ear and out the other, leaving me with almost no meaningful impression of how it sounds.

Can we say that SOI / SOE are their Momentary Lapse of Reason / Division Bell?

I.e. two albums built entirely on laurels that don't have of any raison d'etre?

the only one of today's new songs i've heard so far is american soul, thanks to womanfish's server. i have google music and i can't be arsed to sign up for spotify. i'm really curious if it's as objectionable as you guys say, but if it is, i also don't want to waste any effort looking for it immediately.

:hmm:

edit:

woah there, i won't have that kind of talk about AMLOR and the division bell. them's fightin' words. you've been warned.

GOOYOW (gooie?) is kind of endearing after a few listens. I have time for it, but feels like a bit of a lazy retread of - mix of Beautiful Day, Ordinary Love and Invisible. I actually quite like the delivery of the chorus, but the production is overcooked and so blatantly appealing to the safest mainstream pop sensibilities. A more stripped back version may be less frustrating. Not one of their worst songs but for me, certainly unremarkable.

I'm actually more frustrated with Blackout to be honest. I just don't like the chorus. It sounds like they can't be stuffed and Bono's delivery sounds very sluggish and somewhat strained. That said, the first minute of the song is great. Wonderfully prominent bass.

the only one of today's new songs i've heard so far is american soul, thanks to womanfish's server. i have google music and i can't be arsed to sign up for spotify. i'm really curious if it's as objectionable as you guys say, but if it is, i also don't want to waste any effort looking for it immediately.

:hmm:

edit:

woah there, i won't have that kind of talk about AMLOR and the division bell. them's fightin' words. you've been warned.
If all the songs on All That You Can't Leave Behind fucked and had a baby, it would be Get Out Of Your Own Way.

If you're into that kinda thing, you'll like it. If you're not, you won't.

Alright Dave, you had a title, hurry up with the new thread.

AMLOR has Sorrow, possibly Pink Floyd's best song. And Division Bell is legit one of their top five albums.

So no.

I'm still well-excited that there is a new album on the horizon though. I'll take all this anticipation, excitement (and even the disappointment of some songs) over waking up for work at 6am and being surprised with a new album that I somehow need to wait to find a good time to sit and listen to 11 brand spanking new tracks

So the one complaint I have here is this... My office since I moved to DC is in the Capital One Arena... I've been able to sneak into soundcheck for Roger Waters, GNR, Depeche Mode, blah blah blah... And these fuckers scheduled the show in DC for a Sunday when I don't have a legitimate reason to be in the office.

Dicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom