Shuttlecock XVII - The Best Title That Ever Happened a Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This band is always releasing music when I'm on holiday. They dropped SOI when I was away and at the moment I'm in France. Maybe the wine is helping my perception of the song...

It's difficult defending this band to my girlfriend when they release stuff like this. But then again, she likes Muse.

Muse was once a great band.

I liked The Miracle well enough in the live shows, but I really don't like the song that much at all. One of my least favorites on the album.

I go up to The Resistance. That one gets too much crap imo. The Exogenesis suite is maybe the best thing they've ever done.
That one is decent as well. But some songs clearly signal their decline.

re that weird "happened a boy" line

It grates just like that irritating REM line "leaving was never my proud"

IT DOESN'T EVEN MAKE ONE LICK OF SENSE

Fuck it, I've just put on AB during dinner. What an album. Bono's voice sounds so good.

I shit you not, there was one suggestion made in EYKIW that it was a reference to ABOY...

giphy.gif

I liked The Miracle well enough in the live shows, but I really don't like the song that much at all. One of my least favorites on the album.

I'll never forgive The Miracle for booting Reach Around from the album opener slot, simply because someone in the band thought the latter's musical intro was too long and people would lose interest.

Fuck them so hard.

Having said that, I think the chorus is better than Best Thing's.

Someone recently (in here, maybe?) said they didn't get what the fuss was about with Reach Around. I'm with them.

No idea why some fans are so het up about that one.

I'll never forgive The Miracle for booting Reach Around from the album opener slot, simply because someone in the band thought the latter's musical intro was too long and people would lose interest.

Fuck them so hard.

Having said that, I think the chorus is better than Best Thing's.

It's a great chorus(The Miracle). People want to say it's overproduced or whatever, but that chorus shines on the acoustic version where it's just Bono and Edge really. It's not production, it's just a good melody.

Though I'll say that, despite thinking TBT is kind of bland, the chorus has been stuck in my head for 90 minutes now.

Yeah, TBT's chorus lingered for about 2 hours, whereas Blackout only occupied about 20 minutes in my head before I forgot how it went. U2 probably ran similar testing to decide which song should be the lead single.

Fuck it, I've just put on AB during dinner. What an album. Bono's voice sounds so good.

I'm going to spend some time with Zooropa today. It's probably not the best sign when an artist's new material makes you want to listen to their old stuff instead of the new stuff.

But I suppose it's better than if it made you want to make a big bonfire of everything.

Someone recently (in here, maybe?) said they didn't get what the fuss was about with Reach Around. I'm with them.

That was me. It's...fine. I wish they had at least tried it live to see if there was something more that could be done with it, a second gear, but they needed to make room for Elevation and Angel of Harlem that tour.

Maybe because the intro sounds like Gimme Shelter, and the rest has a New Wave/dance punk vibe, both of which are out of the band's usual wheelhouse?

And then you have the lyrics, about how The Clash galvanized the band into political action.

It's a very distinct, important track. And had it remained in the #1 slot, I imagine it would have received a lot more attention here and elsewhere.

Lyrics about the Clash are decidedly not a selling point for me. It's definitely distinct, which I dig. "Important"? Meh.

Would it not have made more sense for Bono to sing "you're the best thing to ever happen oh boy"?

I was thinking that earlier. A brief pause before "oh" and while not Shakespeare, it works miles better than the current lyric.

But frankly all he needed to do was shoehorn "to" in there, would have worked fine.

The best thing to happen - a boy ... like he's talking about hey, a baby boy, this is the best!

But he also has two daughters and it's a love song so ....... wtf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom