Shuttlecock XVI - Cobbler's Revenge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For many heritage bands that I go see, we have an encore exit plan. I mean, the 10th time you see Def Leppard play the same setlist, is Pour Some Sugar On Me worth 45 minutes of your life stuck in the parking lot? No...no, it really isn't worth a second of my time, but even if I liked the song, I am not going to stay with the masses on that. So many shows I go to are one song short for me.

For a band like U2, I stick it out, with one exception...I did leave the Rose Bowl early to get the shuttle back to the engineering firm. I had heard that line might become overrun and it may require walking out of the canyon, and I was not looking to force my wife to do that for a song I could hear from line.
Being tucked away down here in NZ most older bands are once in a lifetime. Generally most other people leave early anyway and I can't be fucked sitting in traffic or a stupidly big queue for the train/bus/whatever.

Oddly when I saw Def Leppard, Pour Some Sugar On Me was somewhere in the 2-4 range of the setlist.

That'd be this 26-song show, which at the time was the longest U2 show ever in terms of number of songs (and probably longest in terms of runtime too, but I've never confirmed that): U2 Dublin, 2005-06-27, Croke Park, Vertigo Tour - U2 on tour

It appears on U2gigs as a list of 25 songs as we now present An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart on the same line, but both count as full songs so it's still counted as 26 songs for the purposes of the first list on this page: TourDB statistics - U2 on tour

The two longest U2 shows ever were the 27-song setlists at Cologne 2 and Paris 3 in late 2015.

I had no idea that they had played shows this long during I&E. Weird.

Also: I get playing a shorter set during an arena tour when they play a million dates and need to preserve some energy/voice. But this is a stadium tour with 2/3 dates a week. Another 10 minutes wouldn't kill them.

No, but I conceptually understand time and can tell the difference between a shorter show and a longer show. I do not remember how many songs they played when I saw them in 2011 but I know it was a longer show than this one. It's a really short main set on this tour. I also remember shows where I kind of felt short changed by a short setlist. Three off the top of my head are Lykke Li, Kurt Vile, and Grimes. I couldn't tell you how many songs were played then either but I know they were short shows.

Yeah, this. You can tell a longer vs. shorter set. Like the last Dylan concert I saw, where he played like 15 songs.

Yeah, I get that 15 vs 20 songs is significant. But people here are talking about 21 vs 20 or whatever, or maybe it's just Axver with all the statistical stuff.

I only remember the 21 song show being different from the 22 song show the next night because Zoo Station just vanished and didn't reappear mere shows before I saw it, and didn't get replaced, the shows just got shorter, so when I do personal show charts on U2gigs I see the lower number and go "IF ONLY".

Then again it's possible to get too long - I was ~20 minutes off my limit when I saw Springsteen. Probably speaks more to the shape he's in. My 7am start the next day in a call centre was......not my finest work.

Which leads me into anything with more than three acts on the bill? Unless it's a club where I can sit in the corner until I see who I'm there for, or I can go out the back for quiet time and a calm place to sit, not happening. Or, I'm arriving late.

No, but I conceptually understand time and can tell the difference between a shorter show and a longer show. I do not remember how many songs they played when I saw them in 2011 but I know it was a longer show than this one. It's a really short main set on this tour. I also remember shows where I kind of felt short changed by a short setlist. Three off the top of my head are Lykke Li, Kurt Vile, and Grimes. I couldn't tell you how many songs were played then either but I know they were short shows.

I went and looked this up.

U2 2011 show - 25 songs
U2 2017 show - 21 songs

Lykke Li - 15 songs
Kurt Vile - 12 songs
Grimes - 12.5 songs (they played the title track from Art Angels over the loud speaker during some interpretative dance shit)

Which leads me into anything with more than three acts on the bill? Unless it's a club where I can sit in the corner until I see who I'm there for, or I can go out the back for quiet time and a calm place to sit, not happening. Or, I'm arriving late.

As I got older, I increasingly miss opening bands unless it's one I like. Standing for 2 hours until the main act starts has become grating, especially on a weeknight (which is when most of the bands I see tend to play here, for some reason).

Last edited:

U2 2011 show - 25 songs
U2 2017 show - 21 songs

Lykke Li - 15 songs
Kurt Vile - 12 songs
Grimes - 12.5 songs (they played the title track from Art Angels over the loud speaker during some interpretative dance shit)
Aren't most of Kurt Vile's songs 5 to 6 minutes, and a few even longer?

I saw Godspeed and they only played 4 songs. 12 songs from Grimes is definitely short.

Aren't most of Kurt Vile's songs 5 to 6 minutes, and a few even longer?

I saw Godspeed and they only played 4 songs. 12 songs from Grimes is definitely short.
Yeah, it's longer than 12 songs would indicate but it was still short. He had two openers, for one thing. Oddly enough one of his biggest hits is 10-minute song Wakin' on a Pretty Day ... which he didn't play at the show.

The Avalanches played for 70 minutes at a headlining gig with only a DJ as an opener when I saw them. But they're the fucking Avalanches and have barely toured in nearly 20 years together, so I'll give them a pass.

I think any act with at least two albums out should be playing 15 song sets minimum. I just saw Future Islands (five albums) casually play 24 or 25 songs with the most energetic frontman in music.

I've got into the habit of looking up setlistfm before I buy tickets for a show. If it seems disproportionately short and they're charging a lot then I probably wouldn't go unless the support(s) look decent or some cheap tickets drop later on.

I couldn't help keeping track of how many songs U2 were playing during the recent shows because you've got 4-5 to open, then 11 for JT, then the encore.

To me it's interesting when concerts are judged by length, I mean we rarely judge movies or books that way.

There are definitely legitimate complaints to be made of this tour's setlists, but how many songs just seems to be ridiculous.

I had no idea that they had played shows this long during I&E. Weird.

Also: I get playing a shorter set during an arena tour when they play a million dates and need to preserve some energy/voice. But this is a stadium tour with 2/3 dates a week. Another 10 minutes wouldn't kill them.

Yeah this is what especially surprises me about the short sets this tour. They've just done a far more grueling arena schedule, with shows that were some of the longest of their career. Now they're doing their shortest shows in over a decade on a tour with a more leisurely schedule. Weird.

Yeah, I get that 15 vs 20 songs is significant. But people here are talking about 21 vs 20 or whatever, or maybe it's just Axver with all the statistical stuff.

21 vs 25 is a pretty significant difference though. And it's annoying because they started off playing 22 - or 23 in Seattle - but from LA 2 they've dropped down to 21 songs. If they'd just started with 21 songs I don't think people would be as annoyed. There would still be discontent that the shows are too short, but cutting songs from the set without any replacement is the real kicker.

U2 2011 show - 25 songs
U2 2017 show - 21 songs

Lykke Li - 15 songs
Kurt Vile - 12 songs

This doesn't surprise me. I wouldn't expect much longer from them. If I'm seeing a band in a club or theatre and they've got at least a couple of albums, I expect about a 75-90 minute long setlist, unless they're the kind of band who make a point of a longer show and have just one or no opener. The usual schedule for a show in Australia with an international headliner is doors 8pm, first band 8:30pm, second 9:30pm, headliner 10:30-midnight (adjust appropriately for curfews; that's a standard Melbourne weeknight).

It's when you get to arena or stadium level that you're really ripping off people by not going past the two hour mark. Muse, for example, often play unjustifiably short setlists.

I love what Lou Barlow (Sebadoh, Dinosaur Jr) does at his solo shows: a pre-planned set of about ten songs, then requests until he gets tired/the audience drops off/curfew hits. Once saw him get really drunk and do over thirty songs, with ridiculous stories in between.

To me it's interesting when concerts are judged by length, I mean we rarely judge movies or books that way.

There are definitely legitimate complaints to be made of this tour's setlists, but how many songs just seems to be ridiculous.

Well yeah, because a book or a movie is a complete, extended work while a concert is a compilation of pieces from a band's career. No shit it'll be judged differently.

I am one million per cent okay with this tour delaying the release of SOE. Hopefully they come to Aus and it gets delayed even further.

after all the changes to the set list since the LA shows, i am a lot less upset now about selling my tickets for friday than i was after cobblers reviews. i'll periscope it and i am sure i'll be okay with that. i ultimately ended up with kendrick lamar tickets, who i am orders of magnitude more excited to see for the first time than i would be for another u2 show. :up:

Not to be a prick, but I think if you went you'd change your mind, if you get what I mean. I am now falling into the trap a little bit of just sitting back and looking at the setlists and getting grumpy, but each time that happens I am just reminding myself of how fucking good the show was in person, and then realising that bitching over whether Miss Sarajevo or Beautiful Day opens the encore is rubbish.

Oh Peef :sad:

I think the gig length gripes on people when you know the curfew. LA1 finished at about 1055 and LA2 finished about 1052 - we all know the curfew is 11, so why not play the extra song?

I guess with no openers for the I+E tour it allowed them to play longer sets?

Perhaps, but they were also playing 25-26 songs on the final leg of 360, with openers.

And to be honest I thought the IE Tour was a bit of a rip in that regard. Other arena-level acts I've seen without openers have played for 3+ hours.

Potentially what the band will look like when they make it to Australia :
images

Back
Top Bottom