Shuttlecock XVI - Cobbler's Revenge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, safe to say today's tour debut is the best performance of Mysterious Ways since the end of the Vertigo Tour. That slide solo makes all the difference.

It was used as part of the pre-encore video at some 360 shows. Ian was actually the one who first identified it, if I remember correctly.

I'm going to write a real review tomorrow, but I just wanted to say that was an incredible show, so fucking good. On a post-show high right now. Love this band.

With that swap, I think we can be certain Peef is going.
DCpR_DOUwAA46Ih.jpg

And so the prophecy was fulfilled.

If you want AIWIY in concert, don't go to a show with me.

Well there go my plans to say "yeah I can totally play Angel of Harlem" and bust out 11 O'clock Tick Tock.

Yeah I don't know how you can possibly argue with a straight face that the neutered 360 or IE performances are better than today. Bono's performance is no worse than the last two tours and the slide solo is the point of hearing the song live.

Six years ago I got out of the car at the Sports Complex and heard the band soundchecking Magnificent and had the sinking feeling it would replace The Fly.

No bullshit, I got off the subway yesterday and the first thing I heard was that they were soundchecking Mysterious Ways. Unreal.

Still deciding whether to get tickets for NY2. I feel like seeing this tour twice is sufficient given the static sets, but then there's the fear of missing out on a possible nice surprise on night 2. At the same time, what are the chances at this stage that the "surprises" are Mysterious Ways/UV and I Will Follow/Vertigo rather than ASOH?

I feel like, after reading the anger about the move last night on another board, the band is truly in a can't win. Play the same stuff every night, they are a juke box and can't mix it up. Move songs around, people who have precious little memories about that time that girl let them touch them to ASOH are mad. Replace old with new, the band are trying to be pop stars and it sucks. Replace new with old, and the band are stuck in the past. Play a show of nothing but B sides and 20,000 will be happy and the tour will lose money. Replace an AB track with an AB track and people become precious with the removed track (Ultraviolet) even though the new one with guitar work melts your face off (Mysterious Ways).

I mean, replacing ASOH with Bad was not an affront to humanity. I love ASOH, but it was not universally received at Rose Bowl 1. The people who did, like me, went nuts, but Bad is a similar era track of similar emotion, and longer, that pulls a bigger response. Yeah, we are sick of songs like Elevation, but up tempo rockers are they way they want to exit, and a lot of people know Elevation, my least favorite song of the set for sure, but people bump to it.

Of all tours, this is the one the complaining has hit absurd levels for me. We are getting a whole frickin' side of stuff we never thought we would hear, surrounded by Bad and Ultraviolet or maybe Mysterious, and I Will Follow and sometimes a new song and maybe ASOH here and there. Enough, already...they didn't pull Ultraviolet (which was not totally working, IMO) for Boots. We got Slide Mysterious Ways.

I feel like, after reading the anger about the move last night on another board, the band is truly in a can't win. Play the same stuff every night, they are a juke box and can't mix it up. Move songs around, people who have precious little memories about that time that girl let them touch them to ASOH are mad. Replace old with new, the band are trying to be pop stars and it sucks. Replace new with old, and the band are stuck in the past. Play a show of nothing but B sides and 20,000 will be happy and the tour will lose money. Replace an AB track with an AB track and people become precious with the removed track (Ultraviolet) even though the new one with guitar work melts your face off (Mysterious Ways).

I mean, replacing ASOH with Bad was not an affront to humanity. I love ASOH, but it was not universally received at Rose Bowl 1. The people who did, like me, went nuts, but Bad is a similar era track of similar emotion, and longer, that pulls a bigger response. Yeah, we are sick of songs like Elevation, but up tempo rockers are they way they want to exit, and a lot of people know Elevation, my least favorite song of the set for sure, but people bump to it.

Of all tours, this is the one the complaining has hit absurd levels for me. We are getting a whole frickin' side of stuff we never thought we would hear, surrounded by Bad and Ultraviolet or maybe Mysterious, and I Will Follow and sometimes a new song and maybe ASOH here and there. Enough, already...they didn't pull Ultraviolet (which was not totally working, IMO) for Boots. We got Slide Mysterious Ways.

First of all, shut up. Second of all, they're playing 21 songs, they can just play all of these songs without rotating or replacing and they'd still be playing, 23-24 songs per night. Third of all, it's a fucking joke because it paralleled my experience six years ago. Fourth of all, one of the things that nearly ruined my night last night was U2 fans being fucking assholes, and here I can see why I should have expected that. Fifth of all, seriously shut up.

Laz also the type of person whose first comment walking out of LA1 was a complaint they didn't play Vertigo at the end :wink:

I was more surprised than complaining about its absence, but the real complaint was the smaller number of songs played. Not exactly a chore to throw another 3 minute song in there.

Which leads into...

First of all, shut up. Second of all, they're playing 21 songs, they can just play all of these songs without rotating or replacing and they'd still be playing, 23-24 songs per night. Third of all, it's a fucking joke because it paralleled my experience six years ago. Fourth of all, one of the things that nearly ruined my night last night was U2 fans being fucking assholes, and here I can see why I should have expected that. Fifth of all, seriously shut up.

:applaud:

Back
Top Bottom