Shuttlecock XVI - Cobbler's Revenge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He did catch himself.

"Thanks to the Lumineers.... (long pause)...... who were replaced tonight by OneRepublic!"

Still funny.

Not sure if it was deliberate or a typo, but someone in the other place referred to the new song as "Little Thongs."

Anyway, I humbly submit "The Little Thongs That Give You A Wedgie" for cockification.

Or maybe "The Little Thongs That Earn You Your Pay"

And we can add "You're the Net Strings That Block Me"

Last edited:
So I'm in the mall with wife and kid yesterday killing a half hour before going to the movies, and the PA in the store we are in plays Song For Someone.
First time I've heard it in about a week shy of 2 full years, not since final Boston show of 2015.

I will say this, after a 2 year break from it then hearing it again...
the song still sucks big time

So I'm in the mall with wife and kid yesterday killing a half hour before going to the movies, and the PA in the store we are in plays Song For Someone.
First time I've heard it in about a week shy of 2 full years, not since final Boston show of 2015.

I will say this, after a 2 year break from it then hearing it again...
the song still sucks big time

Attaboy! :up:

So I think the only person on this forum who would get the depth of how I feel about ASOH not making it is NSW.

Never ever thought I would be disappointed to hear Bad, but here we are. That intro, normally a bringer of great elation, deflated me like little else.

It especially hurts because outside of JT side 2, there's really no reason to see this tour. The encore is a complete waste of time, just awful. It's bloody lucky those last three songs on JT are so incredible.

Most of us were really looking forward to hearing that song live, and U2 being U2, they just drop it. It's baffling.

So I think the only person on this forum who would get the depth of how I feel about ASOH not making it is NSW.

Never ever thought I would be disappointed to hear Bad, but here we are. That intro, normally a bringer of great elation, deflated me like little else.

It especially hurts because outside of JT side 2, there's really no reason to see this tour. The encore is a complete waste of time, just awful. It's bloody lucky those last three songs on JT are so incredible.

yup, any other time hearing the intro to bad would have made me lose my shit (aka exactly what happened on i+e, by *far* the most emotional part of that show for me). but i was actually pretty dismayed to hear it, even though i knew by that time the chances of them playing ASOH were 1% or less. bad at that point in the setlist is pretty brutal sequencing, and ASOH would have given the crowd a lot more energy going into pride -> JT, regardless of how many people know the words.

just a baffling decision. it's not like it's a particularly hard song to play or the live arrangement was obviously weak like some other songs they've tried in the past and quickly ditched (babyface). i got to see exit live, which was amazing, but fuck that concert would have been so much better with ASOH in bad's slot and then bad near the end replacing miss sarajevo or ultraviolet. but for whatever reason they seem to have a hard-on for playing this concert in chronological order regardless of how the setlist suffers for it :shrug:

Last edited:
I'm fortunate to have seen ASOH twice back on the UF tour, not pleased it got dropped so early on in the proceedings, but not as crushed as some of you understandably are.
U2 being U2.

I'm crushed for you, but sad you're taking it so heavily. I think so much of the show is wonderful.

Are you seeing any more?

I've done both London shows and I'm going to Berlin. To be perfectly honest, if it weren't an excuse to visit Berlin and if everything weren't already booked, I'd probably dispose of my Berlin ticket. I'm so glad that I'm in Europe for work, so they're paying the long-haul part of my costs, and that I'm also here for other concerts by bands who actually play decent shit live. If I'd travelled just for this I would feel so fucking ripped off. The screen's cool but the songs are the point, you know? And they waste the screen anyway; it was so light when Streets began that the red lacked the intended effect. They needed at least another 4-5 songs beforehand to build up properly, both in terms of pacing and for the visuals to be most effective. A longer main set with a 3-4 song encore would've been ideal.

First night I had a great spot but I was so fucking bored during the encore - if they hadn't done the song with Noel, I would've regretted not leaving after Mothers. Little Things was good for novelty value but I had no desire to hear any of those other songs ever again, let alone after such a masterpiece of an album that threw their shoddy quality into stark relief. I think I can enjoy the likes of Beautiful Day, Elevation, One, and Vertigo a bit more when they're not clumped together like a lame hits parade, but scattered through a full setlist. And holy fuckballs is Miss Sarajevo clumsy and poorly handled. Also, those of you who told me the robotic heads in the middle of BD would make more sense live? What the hell are you on? It's one of the most incomprehensible things I've seen at a U2 show. It's not even clear what the fuck they're trying to get at.

Second night I got close to the b-stage for the first few songs, especially in hope of ASOH, but during ISHFWILF I went to the back partly to drink and partly because it was too tightly packed in my area. In the end I actually had more fun. A small group of us got proper drunk and I actually had fun dancing around like the inebriated idiot I was during the encore. And we got a proper MW. So on balance I enjoyed the second night more, even if the early part was coloured by missing out on ASOH.

Don't mean to sound unrelentingly negative - I definitely mean to be negative, but not exclusively. The album's positives are well known and I loved it. RHMT, IGC, Mothers live? My god I loved it. One Tree Hill? So many emotions all at once. Exit? One of the best live songs I've ever seen U2 play, it's that fucking good.

yup, any other time hearing the intro to bad would have made me lose my shit (aka exactly what happened on i+e, by *far* the most emotional part of that show for me). but i was actually pretty dismayed to hear it, even though i knew by that time the chances of them playing ASOH were 1% or less. bad at that point in the setlist is pretty brutal sequencing, and ASOH would have given the crowd a lot more energy going into pride -> JT, regardless of how many people know the words.

just a baffling decision. it's not like it's a particularly hard song to play or the live arrangement was obviously weak like some other songs they've tried in the past and quickly ditched (babyface). i got to see exit live, which was amazing, but fuck that concert would have been so much better with ASOH in bad's slot and then bad near the end replacing miss sarajevo or ultraviolet. but for whatever reason they seem to have a hard-on for playing this concert in chronological order regardless of how the setlist suffers for it :shrug:

Well said. :up:

In fact, if we want to talk about bands on supposed eighties "nostalgia" tours right now, the contrast between Midnight Oil in Copenhagen and U2 in London is just insane. The Oils don't worry about any spectacular presentation, they just bring an amazing setlist and are prepared to dip into just about anything. The whole show was a blast, far better than U2.

I sympathize with the frustration, and what's perhaps the final insult is that ASOH isn't likely to be persevered on any official video, meaning we'll have to be satisfied with the bootlegs and video clips that are out there already.

But in the interest of accentuating the positive, Bono's snippet of Heroes on Saturday was monstrously good. Longer than I expected and he really started belting it out. Powerful stuff, too bad it was still light out when it was happening.

I also doubt ASOH will be resurrected again for quite some time (the Dublin show notwithstanding) and even if it is, the chances of it being played on any tour of Australia are slim. They'd probably replace it with Stuck just before coming here, as part of their never ending apology for not bringing us the Elevation Tour.

But in the interest of accentuating the positive, Bono's snippet of Heroes on Saturday was monstrously good. Longer than I expected and he really started belting it out. Powerful stuff, too bad it was still light out when it was happening.

Hell yes. That was incredible. I thought he was going back to "wide awake" and then he breaks into the chorus. Great stuff.

It's sad though that we pay attention to snipped variations because the rest of the sets are so static.

Ax: you described exactly how I felt when Bad started in NJ2. Bad had been a white whale for me for a long time - I only got it after 10 or 12 shows. And feeling sad at it starting was just weird.

I also doubt ASOH will be resurrected again for quite some time (the Dublin show notwithstanding) and even if it is, the chances of it being played on any tour of Australia are slim. They'd probably replace it with Stuck just before coming here, as part of their never ending apology for not bringing us the Elevation Tour.

I can certainly understand wanting to hear the song live - I did too - but I'm not sure where the disappointment/surprise is coming from...you of all people know that they dropped it a while ago and that the chances of its return were very slim, right?

By the time my show came around, I had made my peace with the fact that I in all likelihood wouldn't be getting that song. And I hadn't gotten Bad in a very long time anyway, so I was elated to get it anyway.

Anyway, just be glad you got to hear all of JT side B in person. That's something to treasure.

Also - and I know you're traveling and busy and everything, but when you get a chance, please check your PMs :)

I'm just glad Bad, which is my favorite U2 song, wasn't replaced by ASOH when I saw them.

I would have been fine if they added ASOH too, but really don't care either way.

I can certainly understand wanting to hear the song live - I did too - but I'm not sure where the disappointment/surprise is coming from...you of all people know that they dropped it a while ago and that the chances of its return were very slim, right?

By the time my show came around, I had made my peace with the fact that I in all likelihood wouldn't be getting that song. And I hadn't gotten Bad in a very long time anyway, so I was elated to get it anyway.

Anyway, just be glad you got to hear all of JT side B in person. That's something to treasure.

Also - and I know you're traveling and busy and everything, but when you get a chance, please check your PMs :)

Honestly, up until it missed NJ2, I was confident it would be back. They usually have a few rotations up their sleeve when a tour has a bunch of multiple night stands like this leg does. Willie had already said it would be back (and I guess Chicago 2 means he wasn't lying). I especially figured they'd be wanting to get comfortable with it ahead of Dublin, and that they might want to add to the first part of the setlist so that it's darker for Streets—which they badly needed to do.

If it comes back later this leg, that'll sting even more after how I missed Electrical Storm in 2009 by one show either side of my run, not to mention sitting outside Croke while it and Drowning Man got soundchecked. I had good setlist luck in 2005 and awful luck ever since.

Back
Top Bottom