Shuttlecock XV: Seppos and the 42: Cobbler's Epic Fail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So, here’s the review. I’ll spoiler it all. It’ll be song by song and in four parts that wind up not quite being chronological. Some of this will be how I felt, some will be what I thought. I care more about the former. I suspect some songs will just have a line or two written, some much more. It's really long so please skip the shit out of it if you are not in the mood to have your eyes glaze over.

Let’s get this part out of the way: the show was not perfect and so I’m not going to mention it on a song by song basis. And it’s hard to really analyze some of the “mistakes” because I don’t know if some of them simply stem from arrangement choices, or if lyrics were just missed, etc. Maybe it’s both sometimes. I expected a semi-rocky start, that’s just how it is with shows early on for the band. Still, I’d gladly accept that in exchange for going into a show full of anticipation and being spoiler free.

Last comments: I said yesterday that I was watching videos at the airport but what that really meant was I was watching clips of three songs, a few times each - One Tree Hill, Exit and ASOH. So, I have no idea if what I heard will correspond to what others have heard upon listening to the clips. I also do not know what anyone that attended the show thought beyond Cori, so, I might type something that everyone and their Mother disagreed with already.

Part I - Prior to performing The Joshua Tree, minus one song

Sunday Bloody Sunday - I thought this was a cool way to open the show. On the B-stage, no video, Larry kicks into the drums and away we go. I was glad to have this version of the song back. Was not a huge fan of the SOI version.

New Year’s Day - Before the show I said to Cori that I thought hoping NYD would get played was a pretty realistic wish. Granted, early on. Thought something was off about it, though, not sure what. Slower tempo? Still, great to hear it and one of my favorite “War horses”.

Skip

MLK - Not much to say. I like when I hear it but I’d never in a million years be all “Hope they play MLK tonight!!!” Serves as a nice segue, though, to…

Pride - I have been tired of this song for a very long time but on an opening night, when the theme is more of a look back, this was solid and I sang along with everyone else, etc.

All in all, a really great start.

Part II - The Joshua Tree

Where the Streets Have No Name - Transitioning from Pride to the Red Screen with the opening music to this song was goose bump inducing for me.

ISHFWILF - I go back and forth with this song but in the context of the album I always enjoy it. No different on this night.

With or Without You - I love this song dearly in its studio form, and used to love it in concert. It’s just not the same as it was. Such is life. Still enjoyed it here.

Bullet the Blue Sky - I’ve mentioned already how I was over this song for ages but on the last tour it became a highlight for me. I would not call it a highlight of this show but I was down with it for sure.

Running to Stand Still - I forget sometimes how wonderful this song is. It kind of got lost in the shuffle for me when anticipating the show but this, for me, was a really lovely moment after Bullet. And a nice transition from the beginning of the album to the middle/end.

Red Hill Mining Town - I was eagerly anticipating this and it did not disappoint. I did get texts from two friends this morning who watched clips and said it needed work, so, who knows. But, I mean, even if that’s accurate it was still amazing to finally hear this.

In God’s Country - A lot of fun but sounded like it was performed at a slower speed than the studio version. Not that such a thing ruins the song but it felt more sing along-y than straight ahead fast paced tune.

Trip Through Your Wires - Fun song live in 1987, fun song live here too.

One Tree Hill - Well, I mean, here’s my 2nd favorite song by my favorite band. A song I’d never managed to hear in concert before. And when you know it’s coming, it’s hard to not keep thinking about it, at least for me. I thought that it was perfect (acknowledging that Bono almost skipped “The Moon Is Up” line even though right behind him there was a giant fucking moon. <that’s no moon> and I think Edge’s guitar solo started early) but whatever the fuck. It sounded amazing to me. A sublime song and a sublime moment for me.

Exit - Well. I hate to sound like one of these people on interference who post like they can read the minds of the band members and divine their thoughts about things - but it seemed to me like Bono was really into this one, and the band too. I wonder if they were all “fuck me i forgot how badass this song is” as they rediscovered playing it. Regardless, even if that’s all in my head, I thought this was a fucking great performance and Bono wearing that hat was amusing but if it puts him in character and brings the energy out of him, keep wearing it. Bad. Ass.

Mothers of the Disappeared - I think I posted about this song once. I never really cared for it, for, like many many years. It just did not click for me. Then, out of nowhere, I was all “the fuck? This song is beautiful” and beautiful it was on this night too.

Hearing the album front to back was a special treat for me. Spoilered here is the first Facebook post I’d made in ages about how I felt prior to the show (it's long), sums up my JT thoughts a bit. Also, the visuals were fucking wonderful. Gigantic, of course, but they never overwhelmed the music. Some really gorgeous images. 

On 5/15/1987 I attended my first ever concert. It was to see U2 at what was then the Brendan Byrne Arena. I went with three HS classmates (Matt being one of them) and I vividly recall my parents being concerned about my attending a concert without parental supervision, but when they saw U2 on the cover of Time Magazine they relented. My Dad drove us and he was beyond pissed because the aforementioned Matt was late getting to our apartment.
Prior to that show I was already a big music fan and a pretty big U2 fan, but it's safe to say that the concert made me truly realize just how potent music can be, and it pushed my U2 fandom into the stratosphere. I had of course listened to The Joshua Tree a lot prior to the show, but after, the album took on a whole new meaning for me and it's been a constant source of joy, wonder, solace and anything else you care to name that has a positive connotation. How do you measure the meaning of art, let alone something that's been your favorite artistic endeavor for three decades? It's impossible.

What's the point? Almost thirty years to the day since I attended that show in Jersey, U2 will be playing The Joshua Tree in full for the first time - here in Vancouver. Tomorrow. And I'll be in attendance. Anyone that knows me is probably aware that nostalgia is not something I put a ton of stock in, but in this case, it's difficult to verbally capture how excited I am.
I don't know if the show will open with the album, close with the album, if they'll overthink it and somehow play the songs out of sequence (I would not put this past them) - nor do I know what else they'll be playing. For the fourth straight tour opener, I'm here and I'm blissfully spoiler free and am prepared for anything.

But the point is, while one can name a million things that are more important than some silly band playing some 30 year old album for a bunch of obsessed fans, I am still beyond giddy and grateful that the prospect of a concert can still make me feel this way.
If you were bored enough to read this all, thanks/sorry.

Part III - Encore

Beautiful Day - it is what it is. I get into it about 1/2 way through each time.

Elevation - You take the good with the bad, I guess. I spend the bulk of this song looking at the crowd, reminds me each time that not everyone attending wants to hear Acrobat.

Ultra Violet - Yes, please. Love this song, loved the visual accompaniment, great stuff.

One - I mean, it’s an iconic tune I’m really really tired of, but, each and every time when Bono gets to “Did I ask too much…” I engage with the song.

Miss Sarajevo - I like this song a lot but to me, the visuals were a miscalculation and it really felt more somber than anything else. If this happened earlier on then the show proceeded you could more easily put the mood behind you, I think. But at the end, it was just odd.

The Little Things that Give You Away - Decent song, cool to hear a brand new tune. Loved the end, not just musically but performance-wise, the four of them were gathered in a pretty tight circle and I am always a sucker for when they do that. It reminds me of how amazing it is that they’re together for 40 years and still seem really close to one another. I do not know why that resonates with me or has meaning but it does.

Part IV - A Sort of Homecoming

I legitimately thought I’d never hear this song in concert and was at peace with it. When NYD ended Cori tugged my sleeve as Edge switched guitars and said “something special might happen now” but I said to her “nah, Edge has his I Will Follow guitar out” and then the music started and I kind of froze. I would say that the first 2:00 of the song was me in shock (and shaking, a little), the next 1:30 or so was me tearing up and the last 1:30 was me singing along, with vigor. I know they did not perform each line of the song, I also know that I do not fucking care. This was such an amazing and wonderful shock. I feel really corny even conveying this all but it is what it is and if any group of people on Earth can relate or understand it’s you lot. Being able to sing “the wind will crack in winter time this bomb-blast lightning waltz, no spoken words, just a scream…..see the sky, the burning rain, she will die and live again tonight” was the concert highlight of my life. I watched 3 different clips of the performance yesterday, and it gave me chills each time. What a wonderful gift.

So, to sum up - My two favorite songs of all-time get played in the same show, neither of which I'd ever heard before in concert. My favorite album of all-time gets played from to back for the first time ever. Not a bad way to spend an evening.

Also, glad I got to see and hear this all with Cori - and kudos to her for not even slightly hinting that ASOH had been rehearsed and was on the setlist.

So, here’s the review. I’ll spoiler it all. It’ll be song by song and in four parts that wind up not quite being chronological. Some of this will be how I felt, some will be what I thought. I care more about the former. I suspect some songs will just have a line or two written, some much more. It's really long so please skip the shit out of it if you are not in the mood to have your eyes glaze over.

Let’s get this part out of the way: the show was not perfect and so I’m not going to mention it on a song by song basis. And it’s hard to really analyze some of the “mistakes” because I don’t know if some of them simply stem from arrangement choices, or if lyrics were just missed, etc. Maybe it’s both sometimes. I expected a semi-rocky start, that’s just how it is with shows early on for the band. Still, I’d gladly accept that in exchange for going into a show full of anticipation and being spoiler free.

Last comments: I said yesterday that I was watching videos at the airport but what that really meant was I was watching clips of three songs, a few times each - One Tree Hill, Exit and ASOH. So, I have no idea if what I heard will correspond to what others have heard upon listening to the clips. I also do not know what anyone that attended the show thought beyond Cori, so, I might type something that everyone and their Mother disagreed with already.

Sunday Bloody Sunday - I thought this was a cool way to open the show. On the B-stage, no video, Larry kicks into the drums and away we go. I was glad to have this version of the song back. Was not a huge fan of the SOI version.

New Year’s Day - Before the show I said to Cori that I thought hoping NYD would get played was a pretty realistic wish. Granted, early on. Thought something was off about it, though, not sure what. Slower tempo? Still, great to hear it and one of my favorite “War horses”.

Skip

MLK - Not much to say. I like when I hear it but I’d never in a million years be all “Hope they play MLK tonight!!!” Serves as a nice segue, though, to…

Pride - I have been tired of this song for a very long time but on an opening night, when the theme is more of a look back, this was solid and I sang along with everyone else, etc.

Where the Streets Have No Name - Transitioning from Pride to the Red Screen with the opening music to this song was goose bump inducing for me.

ISHFWILF - I go back and forth with this song but in the context of the album I always enjoy it. No different on this night.

With or Without You - I love this song dearly in its studio form, and used to love it in concert. It’s just not the same as it was. Such is life. Still enjoyed it here.

Bullet the Blue Sky - I’ve mentioned already how I was over this song for ages but on the last tour it became a highlight for me. I would not call it a highlight of this show but I was down with it for sure.

Running to Stand Still - I forget sometimes how wonderful this song is. It kind of got lost in the shuffle for me when anticipating the show but this, for me, was a really lovely moment after Bullet. And a nice transition from the beginning of the album to the middle/end.

Red Hill Mining Town - I was eagerly anticipating this and it did not disappoint. I did get texts from two friends this morning who watched clips and said it needed work, so, who knows. But, I mean, even if that’s accurate it was still amazing to finally hear this.

In God’s Country - A lot of fun but sounded like it was performed at a slower speed than the studio version. Not that such a thing ruins the song but it felt more sing along-y than straight ahead fast paced tune.

One Tree Hill - Well, I mean, here’s my 2nd favorite song by my favorite band. A song I’d never managed to hear in concert before. And when you know it’s coming, it’s hard to not keep thinking about it, at least for me. I thought that it was perfect (acknowledging that Bono almost skipped “The Moon Is Up” line even though right behind him there was a giant fucking moon. <that’s no moon> and I think Edge’s guitar solo started early) but whatever the fuck. It sounded amazing to me. A sublime song and a sublime moment for me.

Exit - Well. I hate to sound like one of these people on interference who post like they can read the minds of the band members and divine their thoughts about things - but it seemed to me like Bono was really into this one, and the band too. I wonder if they were all “fuck me i forgot how badass this song is” as they rediscovered playing it. Regardless, even if that’s all in my head, I thought this was a fucking great performance and Bono wearing that hat was amusing but if it puts him in character and brings the energy out of him, keep wearing it. Bad. Ass.

Mothers of the Disappeared - I think I posted about this song once. I never really cared for it, for, like many many years. It just did not click for me. Then, out of nowhere, I was all “the fuck? This song is beautiful” and beautiful it was on this night too.

Hearing the album front to back was a special treat for me. Spoilered here is the first Facebook post I’d made in ages about how I felt prior to the show (it's long), sums up my JT thoughts a bit. Also, the visuals were fucking wonderful. Gigantic, of course, but they never overwhelmed the music. Some really gorgeous images. 

On 5/15/1987 I attended my first ever concert. It was to see U2 at what was then the Brendan Byrne Arena. I went with three HS classmates (Matt being one of them) and I vividly recall my parents being concerned about my attending a concert without parental supervision, but when they saw U2 on the cover of Time Magazine they relented. My Dad drove us and he was beyond pissed because the aforementioned Matt was late getting to our apartment.
Prior to that show I was already a big music fan and a pretty big U2 fan, but it's safe to say that the concert made me truly realize just how potent music can be, and it pushed my U2 fandom into the stratosphere. I had of course listened to The Joshua Tree a lot prior to the show, but after, the album took on a whole new meaning for me and it's been a constant source of joy, wonder, solace and anything else you care to name that has a positive connotation. How do you measure the meaning of art, let alone something that's been your favorite artistic endeavor for three decades? It's impossible.

What's the point? Almost thirty years to the day since I attended that show in Jersey, U2 will be playing The Joshua Tree in full for the first time - here in Vancouver. Tomorrow. And I'll be in attendance. Anyone that knows me is probably aware that nostalgia is not something I put a ton of stock in, but in this case, it's difficult to verbally capture how excited I am.
I don't know if the show will open with the album, close with the album, if they'll overthink it and somehow play the songs out of sequence (I would not put this past them) - nor do I know what else they'll be playing. For the fourth straight tour opener, I'm here and I'm blissfully spoiler free and am prepared for anything.

But the point is, while one can name a million things that are more important than some silly band playing some 30 year old album for a bunch of obsessed fans, I am still beyond giddy and grateful that the prospect of a concert can still make me feel this way.

Part III - Encore

Beautiful Day - it is what it is. I get into it about 1/2 way through each time.

Elevation - You take the good with the bad, I guess. I spend the bulk of this song looking at the crowd, reminds me each time that not everyone attending wants to hear Acrobat.

Ultra Violet - Yes, please. Love this song, loved the visual accompaniment, great stuff.

One - I mean, it’s an iconic tune I’m really really tired of, but, each and every time when Bono gets to “Did I ask too much…” I engage with the song.

Miss Sarajevo - I like this song a lot but to me, the visuals were a miscalculation and it really felt more somber than anything else. If this happened earlier on then the show proceeded you could more easily put the mood behind you, I think. But at the end, it was just odd.

The Little Things that Give You Away - Decent song, cool to hear a brand new tune. Loved the end, not just musically but performance-wise, the four of them were gathered in a pretty tight circle and I am always a sucker for when they do that. It reminds me of how amazing it is that they’re together for 40 years and still seem really close to one another. I do not know why that resonates with me or has meaning but it does.

I legitimately thought I’d never hear this song in concert and was at peace with it. When NYD ended Cori tugged my sleeve as Edge switched guitars and said “something special might happen now” but I said to her “nah, Edge has his I Will Follow guitar out” and then the music started and I kind of froze. I would say that the first 2:00 of the song was me in shock (and shaking, a little), the next 1:30 or so was me tearing up and the last 1:30 was me singing along, with vigor. I know they did not perform each line of the song, I also know that I do not fucking care. This was such an amazing and wonderful shock. I feel really corny even conveying this all but it is what it is and if any group of people on Earth can relate or understand it’s you lot. Being able to sing “the wind will crack in winter time this bomb-blast lightning waltz, no spoken words, just a scream…..see the sky, the burning rain, she will die and live again tonight” was the concert highlight of my life. I watched 3 different clips of the performance yesterday, and it gave me chills each time. What a wonderful gift.

So, to sum up - My two favorite songs of all-time get played in the same show, neither of which I'd ever heard before in concert. My favorite album of all-time gets played from to back for the first time ever. Not a bad way to spend an evening.

Also, glad I got to see and hear this all with Cori - and kudos to her for not even slightly hinting that ASOH had been rehearsed and was on the setlist.
That was worth the wait.

NSW, part four of that review is the best part of any concert review I've ever read.

Skip

Part III - Encore

Awesome review. Thanks for that :up:

Skip

Part III - Encore

Nice review Mike.
Glad you got so much out of the show.

I like the new song.

I like Beautoful Day.

I like A Sort of a Homecoming.

I do not like NSW

Not reading any of these, haha. Thanks for spoilering it all guys :)

So I land at LAX 9am on the 18th. Free that day.
20th is the first gig, 21st is the second gig.
Then I fly out at 10pm on the 22nd.

Who's in and around LA? Would love to have coffee or food or drinks with a couple of you during this time :)

My mother is dropping in really late on the 18th (she's also seeing U2) so I've got to show her around LA most of the week, but if you have some free time on the 18th in the afternoon/early evening, I'm in. Message me ya bish

Last edited:
I doubt Cobbler could break up a 30 year marriage, but Laz is more familiar with his game than I am.

So many inappropriate things running through my mind in response to NSW's post so I will just not say anything. Imagine.

I think Bono's hair looks kinda shit but he sounds in good voice to me. That huge screen they're using looks AMAZING.

Last edited:
Also, today,

HOW ABOUT THAT ENDING. I WILL FOLLOW YES PLEASE.

Shuttlecock XV: Cobbler Stays On Laz's Couch

Interfence's Facebook is announcing the new additions in their Facebook headlines. That's some half-assed shit right there. A friend liked it, so we all get to see it whether we want to or not.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

After all my complaints about static setlists over the years, I am now hoping that last night's setlist does not change at all. Yeah, the encore could get better, but it would be so disappointing if they dropped ASOH or Bad by the time they get to Chicago or New York.

If you told me there was a real chance I could hear my three favorite U2 songs in the same show - OTH, ASOH and Bad - I would tell you this is some Kunstmuseum shit.

After all my complaints about static setlists over the years, I am now hoping that last night's setlist does not change at all. Yeah, the encore could get better, but it would be so disappointing if they dropped ASOH or Bad by the time they get to Chicago or New York.

If you told me there was a real chance I could hear my three favorite U2 songs in the same show - OTH, ASOH and Bad - I would tell you this is some Kunstmuseum shit.

It'd be weird if they started alternating MLK with Bad. MLK isn't exactly long, they could just have both and keep the four TUF tracks in album order leading up to Streets.

Also, loved reading your thoughts NSW :up:

Shuttlecock XV: Cobbler Stays On Laz's Couch

have to say i'm really impressed by this tour from what i can read/hear of it... definitely disappointed not to see it.

small grievances are the butchering (i mean that in a decent way) of ASOH. that song is fantastic on record, but i'm not sure why they've cut out the best part when playing it live? it could very well be because bono can't handle it so if that's the case, then fair play.

all in all, it's nice to see u2 play the vast majority of songs that made us fans in the first place :up:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom