Shuttlecock XV: Seppos and the 42: Cobbler's Epic Fail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
djerdap is determined to make me enjoy Trip at London 1.

I doubt he will succeed, but you never know.

Because it pushed Heartland, one of U2's best three songs, off the album?

Also, it sucks. The harmonica is the devil's work.

But I will concede it sounds alright on the streams, more enjoyable than the studio version.

So we left Laz’s place like 515 or something. Picked up a couple people then went to train station, then got train to somewhere nearby-ish. Then we spent half an hour walking around Pasadena so that Laz could find a fucking organic bottle of water. There were 100 places we passed that had water but he had to go to a supermarket to get some upmarket bottle. Fucking infuriating :lol: then we walked to Rose Bowl, which took like a fucking hour, oh my god. How does anyone come and see sport or music or whatever here?! It’s a fucking nightmare to get to. No easy public transport and if you want to drive you’ll be in traffic forfuckingever. Anyway. Had to walk to Gate E, which took another 15 mins, but that actually worked out kinda well cos there was no line (the lines at A,B,C etc were fucking monstrous). Walked in, and we were pretty much next to the sound tent. Completely missed the Lumineers, which I couldn’t have given a shit about. And honestly, if I had been on my own, I would have been able to walk through the crowd and get an awesome spot.

The stage, when you walk in and it’s still daylight, is kind of underwhelming..? In that it just looks like a gigantic piece of cardboard lol. Okay, on to the songs.

Sunday Bloody Sunday
Thought it was a great opener. Love Larry coming out first and pounding the kit. Sounds just the same as every SBS has sounded for the last 17 years but still great.

New Year’s Day
One of their very best songs, but it’s at this point that I start to get a bit bummed that it’s all b-stage and nothing on the screen (like a shot of them playing relayed on the screen would have been really nice, which they have the capacity to do). Anyway, great song, ruled, and cool to hear that “golden age” verse… is that the first time they’ve ever played the full song? Did they play it in full on the War tour?

A Sort of Homecoming
Was just HOPING against hope against hope that they hadn’t lost confidence in this after one show. Again, the effect was somewhat lessened by it being b-stage and not really being able to see much. I’m hoping to be closer tomorrow night so it should be more powerful. Still, though, it was fucking amazing. I’m really impressed that they’re playing it… I mean, there’s been so many chances to play it since 87… but I actually think it sounds like a really difficult song to recreate live - it’s like the one song that I wouldn’t blame them for not playing, to recreate the studio version, which is so magical, would be impossible. Which is obvious, it’s mainly built around a synth line, which I quite liked. It was fucking incredible to hear. Don’t think it matched up to the album version, but again, I don’t think they could, to be honest. TUF is a weird record in that way. The production is so specific. I also thought Bono was just a little bit off. It’s a really see-sawing song, it has that eclectic delivery that much of TUF has. He flubbed a few lines and stuff. But I’m being overly critical. It was fucking amazing, and man those last lines killed me. So amazing. And I was also sober, and I plan on getting a buzz on before tomorrow’s gig, which I just landed a GA for…

Pride
I actually love this song and have no problem with it being a warehouse… but it really doesn’t work as the fourth song of the night. The whole pre-JT thing is really poorly-thought-out in my view, it needs A LOT of work imo. I think it would be fine as the fourth song of the night if they played it album speed, but they have ALWAYS played Pride slower live. Edge’s guitar is slower. And that’s fine when it’s like a late-main set song, but the fourth song needs more energy. Anyway, still ruled. The crowd kind of sucked a bit. Didn’t pick up the ‘oh oh’s as much as I would have liked. But yeah, I’m fine with this song being a warhorse. I’m listening to a playlist on iTunes of tonight’s set and I’ve heard the album version 50 trillion times and I’m not remotely sick of it. It’s awesome.

Where the Streets Have No Name
So they walk onto the stage, and then bang, the stage stops being cardboard and I start fucking crying. THIS IS THE SHIT WE’VE BEEN CALLING OUT FOR THEM TO DO FOREVER. I was so fucking emotional. That red is so fucking iconic. I just fucking wept throughout the song. Streets, in my opinion, is the best piece of art ever made by any human being. It’s fucking perfection. And hearing it live for the first time in seven years… man. AND THEN THE FUCKING GRAPHICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MY FUCKING GOD. That screen is BY FAR the best stage I’ve ever seen. It blows 360 out of the fucking water. The fucking quality…. Walking down that fucking desert road, the whole thing was just fucking perfection. I’ve given this band a lot of shit in the last while, but this is why my favourite band ever. My face was fucking wet as fuck. Streets, man. No fucking words.

Still Haven’t Found
So there’s never been a bad version of Streets, right. But Still Haven’t Found is a little different. I’m listening to the album version right now and it’s incredibly good. Live, it just can’t quite match up. Bono’s vocals aren’t anywhere near as passionate or powerful, and again, Edge struggles to recreate his chiming guitar live. Still great, but I think the singalong version is better, to be honest.

WOWY
WOWY is absolutely in my top five U2 songs, so it’s a little crushing that these days it doesn’t translate quite as well live. Laz actually made a great point after the show as we were walking 17 hours out of the venue - the album version, particularly the verses, are so moody, and though I don’t mind the way Bono’s changed up the way he sings them in that whole upward inflection/speaking style, it just can’t match the original. I think WOWY from R&H was one of the things that made me such a rabid fan, because it’s so powerful and passionate, and it just doesn’t quite come through that way anymore. It did on Vertigo - they closed it out at my first ever show with Love Will Tear Us Apart and Never Tear Us Apart, which was phenomenal, but these days Bono just honestly does seem over it. Which is a shame, because musically it’s still fucking incredible, that Edge solo is absolutely one of his all-time best and Adam rules on it. So worth it for the music, but yeah, Bono needs to re-discover his passion for it.

Bullet the Blue Sky
So I saw Bullet back in 2006 and it kind of sucked. Because Edge wasn’t playing it properly on the guitar and it had two extremely fucking boring snippets (Hands That Built/Johnny Comes Marching Home) which extended it beyond seven minutes but added nothing. This version was fucking legit as hell. Wouldn’t have minded some megaphone action (and I thought we were going to get it with that thing he was holding, but it was just a handheld camera). But yeah, this shit ruled. The fucking screen during Edge’s solos were fucking mental, absolutely adored that savage, high-paced, distorted cutting of his guitar work. Fucking brilliant.

And we run……. into the arms…… of America.

Running to Stand Still
So, those of you who know me know that this song …. fucking hell. I honestly don’t really know what to say. I started fucking breaking up as it started. I was like in body-shaking crying mode. I honestly don’t even know if I can write a full-on review of this song, I’m listening to it now and I’m getting mega fucking emotional again. Fuck, now I’m legit crying again. Sorry. It’s just the most … fuck. You all can make fun of me if you want, but I don’t care. I’m doing this as I’m listening. I never thought I’d hear it. I spent $1000 flying out here for this song alone. And I just can’t express in words what it all means. Sorry. Fuck.

Red Hill Mining Town
I was actually kind of relieved when this came on, so I could stop fucking crying. My overwhelming thought was, why didn’t they just fucking play this years ago. So not that hard. The horns on the screen I felt were kind of a cop-out… but that’s because whenever I hear horns in a song I just wish they were live, and, like, Springsteen would do live horns. The guitar of RHMT is better than the piano that Edge plays live, which is a shame, but once you get to the chorus, you’re not complaining, that shit just soars. It doesn’t beat the album version, nowhere near it, but the chorus is great live and Bono does a great job. I wish the ending was better, too, but it was all good.

In God’s Country
The studio version of this track is fucking searing, and I think this live version unfortunately is juuuuust not quite there, it’s just a little slow I think (similar to Pride), but I mean it was fucking great. Edge’s solo fucking ruled. And I was worried it would be half- or full-acoustic, so the fact it was full band was awesome. Bono also just didn’t do a lot of the ad-libbing yelps and stuff that’s on this album, which is no great surprise. I think we just know the album so well. Anyway, was still great and worth it for Edge’s solo alone.

Trip Through Your Wires
Okay this was a fucking massive highlight. I fucking loved this shit. So much fucking fun. The harmonica lead-in, Edge’s guitar… this was fucking awesome. I have always liked the song, and it’s probably one of the easiest to play off JT, but it fucking ruled. My immediate thought was like I wish this was played in the Desire/Angel of Harlem slots that have been regulars on previous tours, or at least a rotation. It’s the same sound, but also so much fucking fun and has harmonica that rocks too. I would so gladly take this ever gig they ever do from now on. So much fucking fun.

One Tree Hill
Okay so this is the point where I will talk about one of my anxieties that crept in. As you all know, the thing with being a U2 fan is that, until this tour… if you got RTSS, One Tree Hill, A Sort of Homecoming in the same concert, you’d be like what the absolute fuck. And when One Tree Hill came one, I was actually like…. a bit overwhelmed?? Does that make any sense to anyone? It’s because I have put so much emotion into U2 songs over the years, and I NEVER thought I would hear all these songs AT THE SAME GIG. So it came on… and I feel like for all the people here who have heard One Tree Hill in the past, the thing that makes it so special is that it’s an absolute rarity that they really only play in NZ and you might get it if you’re incredibly lucky. But when I’ve already heard RTSS and ASOH and I know One Tree Hill is coming, it took some of that sheen off, yknow? Am I insane? Am I being a fucking idiot? Once I stopped getting in my head and Edge started shredding and Bono started yelling I fucking loved it. Not quite as good as the studio or those UNBELIEVABLE LoveTown versions, but still fucking awesome.

EXIT
This is literally the best thing they have done in 20 years. Not fucking kidding. I was so fucking amped. The One Tree Hill lead-in, followed by that film clip thing (is that a real film?!)… and then the song starts. It was fucking five minutes of absolute bliss. It was fucking incredible. And everyone who’s like “oh U2 are lame pussies” fucking LOL show me a band that plays something fucking as savage as Exit. Like RTSS I don’t really want to do a deep-dive into every aspect of it, it was just fucking incredible. I fucking LOVED how Bono came out wearing a JT Tour hat, they obviously looked at the R&H or JT footage before this tour because it was really quite faithful to those iconic JT/Lovetown performances of the song. Just fucking absolutely wild. That guitar is fucking insane. I was jumping around like a fucking maniac. And I reckon they fucking loved playing it too, and I can only fucking HOPE that they realise how great their old shit is and start playing more of it. It was a shame that he didn’t snippet Gloria in the final crescendo (instead he fucking snippeted a fucking nursery rhyme, but anyway. Was amazing. Fuck you to everyone who thinks U2 are lame, this performance alone makes flying out to USA from Aus worth it. The screen during it was fucking awesome and savage as well.

Mothers of the Disappeared
This has always been my least favourite JT song, always, but it was really fucking great. The slowly-revealing imagery of all the people with candles was really powerful, and the oooooh-ooohhhs were tremendous. Much better than the album version. Loved the guitar, loved how spacey and atmospheric it was, really enjoyed it.

Beautiful Day
By FAR the best BD has ever, ever been. Laz fucking hated it, which is no surprise, but I thought they really fucking re-invented it incredibly well. I saw it open on 360 and it was a fucking awful opener, but they have obviously worked really hard on it and I really fucking loved the spacey electro relay intro they played while they were getting back on stage. It uses the screen incredibly well, I would have to say my favourite use of it for the whole show aside from the red of Streets. I think they’ve done an amazing job reinventing it. Then you get to that weird four-head electro thing which feels really, really Coldplay and is kind of off (I’m sure I’ll love it drunk though). So easily the best BD ever, but…. I couldn’t help but feel that COBL would be a hundred times better, and it would fit in so well with the visuals. But still, no complaints.

Elevation
Is Elevation. Always great fun. Edge’s solo is super underrated, he really shreds on it. Great fun. Inconsequential, sure, but I’m never gonna whinge about Elevation, cos it’s a stomper.

One
Yeah, I am more than happy for this song to be in every setlist ever. It’s a fucking great song. And the band (read: Bono) are doing some really great social-conscious stuff on this tour. I love this song. It was great. HOWEVER I MUST SAY that one of my highest U2 white whales was “do you hear us coming lord”. The last four times I’ve seen U2 I’ve just sung it to myself, which I started doing, AND THEN BONO FUCKING DID IT, HE FUCKING DID IT FAM. I’ve been waiting 12 fucking years to hear Do You Hear Us Coming and it was fucking incredible. Fuck the haters, One is a truly amazing song (and I’m listening to the studio version now, and holy shit it’s good). DO YOU HEAR US COMING LORD DO YOU HEAR ME CALL DO YOU HEAR ME KNOCKING SCRATCHING AT YOUR DOOOOOOOOR

Ultraviolet
I genuinely don’t know why Axver hates this song, it’s fucking amazing and I’m so happy it’s getting played again. It doesn’t quite have the dark, utter desperation of the album version that makes it so phenomenal, but it still fucking rules, Edge’s riff is beyond amazing and the chorus is fucking incredible too. And it’s gonna stick around all tour because it’s used for the whole “women make the world” thing. The screen is just by far the best concert thing I’ve ever seen. It kind of took away from the song in a way, Ultraviolet really only needs some deeply purple lights and let U2 do the rest, but was really fucking special. I’ll have it at every concert I ever attend from now on, it’s so good.

Miss Sarajevo
I fucking love this song, and I fucking LOVE how Edge is playing the guitar on it, not the piano like the last 12 years, combined with Larry & Adam it really makes it very 90s-sounding, which is fucking awesome. The film that accompanies it is fucking amazing and super powerful, and it makes so much sense why it’s in the setlist. But I think it’s really disappointing that Bono doesn’t sing the opera part. Maybe seven years on from the last performance he can’t do? That’s what Laz reckons, but I think it’s a huge shame that they just turn to look at the screen and have the pre-record. There’s also a stream of people leaving at this point (people were also leaving as soon as MOTD finished). But the reason I was always happy to hear Miss Sarajevo is because Bono singing it was so powerful, it really sucks that he doesn’t on this tour…… it has to stay in the set because the concept of it is really important and moving, but it’s the best part and if he doesn’t do it I’d rather many other songs.

BAD
Totally unexpected. Having seen Cori’s post I was hoping to maybe get it night two. Seems like they kind of played it on a whim tonight, Bono was like “let’s try it”…… only the second time I’ve heard it and the first time in seven years (since I last saw the band) and it was just so fucking incredibly transcendental. I was completely sober for the gig but Bad had me fucking jumping around like an absolute madman. It really is just something else entirely. They played it and it just goes so far fucking beyond 99.999999999% of live music experiences out there. It is so powerful and moving and otherworldly ……… I am actually getting upset that I can’t do it justice with my words but maybe I don’t need to, you all know what Bad live is like. But I just want to express that I was so animated and moved, I was literally jumping up and down and singing like a fucking madman. Words do not do justice. And I feel bad that I can’t do how great it was justice.

I Will Follow
So I knew from a few spoilers that there’s a new song doing the rounds and I was pumped to hear it…. they got together after Bad and they were like okay let’s do this. And they launched into I Will Follow. And honestly.!?!?!? it was a motherfucking incredible closing song. They’ve only ever played it in like the first four or five songs I think, but it was a fucking perfect closer. The crowd fucking loved it, cos it’s so energetic. To this day it still sounds as good as it did 37 years ago. That riff is fucking timeless and I fucking thought it was just an incredibly great way to close the show. I was bummed to not hear the new song after it but at the same time it was a fucking fantastic closer.

So that’s me. I just got a GA for tomorrow night and I’m gonna try drinking some wine in the lead-up. It was an incredible show, easily in the very best I’ve ever seen (though nothing will top the Verigo gig I saw, my first, and closing with an INCREDIBLE version of Kite, replete with digiridoos, which I’d played in the wake of my grandpa’s death a few weeks earlier), but I think with less inhibitions I’ll love it even more.

I fucking love this band.

You know what was the one and only thing I kinda got bummed about? Bono kinda screwed up the ending of One Tree Hill.

Well shit Cobbs, you might have topped NSW for best review there.

Yes, we are pretty sure this is the first time Bono has sung the "golden age" lines. He's done "maybe the time is right" before, but I and others have gone through hundreds of NYDs and we cannot find a single instance of "golden age" before this year.

So delighted to read your comments about RTSS. I'll never forget the first time I heard it, in Boston in 2005. At the end, the dude beside me randomly turned to me and we both belted "still running! still running!" at the top of our lungs. One of my best concert memories.

I Will Follow used to be an encore staple back in the early eighties, but yeah from the UF Tour it's practically always been early in the main set. It's cool to have it closing again, that energy is awesome.

And yes, Pride is definitely a "warehouse". :lol:

Change your flight to fly into Brussels?

My girlfriend's moving to the UK with me and I know she'll want to just get home and relax with the family, so if I'm fucking off the first night I'd better help get our luggage back first haha

...and say a quick hello to the family I guess.

Tonight I heard, for the first time in my five shows:

-NYD
-Ultraviolet
-Bad

Hardcore fans take the classics for granted sometimes. Absolutely blew my mind to hear these.

Love the review Cobbler, love your emotion and enthusiasm and love for the band.

Also love that you may have just set a record for number of times the word fuck or any of its derivatives are used in one post on Interference. :wink:

Seriously though, love your review. I'm getting hyped(I'm going to the Philly show on 6/18).

Just want to respond specifically to one thing:

Still Haven’t Found
So there’s never been a bad version of Streets, right. But Still Haven’t Found is a little different. I’m listening to the album version right now and it’s incredibly good. Live, it just can’t quite match up. Bono’s vocals aren’t anywhere near as passionate or powerful, and again, Edge struggles to recreate his chiming guitar live. Still great, but I think the singalong version is better, to be honest.

I agree Bono's vocals haven't matched the studio version live in a long, long time(ISHFWILF is a top ten vocal for him in terms of studio takes imo, very very powerful, one of the first times I really fell in love with his voice, and extremely hard to duplicate live), however, I think the original live versions from 1987 come very close, both in terms of vocals and guitar. The Live From Paris 1987 version is, imo, the definitive version:

I agree Bono's vocals haven't matched the studio version live in a long, long time(ISHFWILF is a top ten vocal for him in terms of studio takes imo, very very powerful, one of the first times I really fell in love with his voice, and extremely hard to duplicate live), however, I think the original live versions from 1987 come very close, both in terms of vocals and guitar. The Live From Paris 1987 version is, imo, the definitive version:

holy shit yeah that fucking owns. that's so good

My point was to highlight more common but awesome songs that had eluded me for years. Obviously there were a lot of incredible rarities played tonight, but this show ticked a lot of boxes for me in particular.

What I still haven't heard is
the new song. I guess I'll have to look it up on YouTube at this point.

Nah. Family is still in town and I've seldom been one to see multiple shows in one stand. Tonight's set was so perfect that I don't feel as if I'm missing out on much.

Watch them play Wire or some Joshua Tree b sides.

I was thinking it last night, and now I see it was a common thought, but these JT30 shows are so great because they play "Great JT Song You Love" and you think "Holy shit! They just played GJTSYL! Will they also play 'Other Great JT Song You Love' as well??" And then you remember it's the whole album, and YES! Yes, they will play that song too!! And then you get all happy and shit.

Dammit Cobbler. I want to see that hat in person. And you as well, I guess.

Travis, your mom is pretty great.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Nah. Family is still in town and I've seldom been one to see multiple shows in one stand. Tonight's set was so perfect that I don't feel as if I'm missing out on much.

Watch them play Wire or some Joshua Tree b sides.

U2.Com: Breaking: U2 To Play Acrobat at Rose Bowl 2

:wink:

So we left Laz’s place like 515 or something. Picked up a couple people then went to train station, then got train to somewhere nearby-ish. Then we spent half an hour walking around Pasadena so that Laz could find a fucking organic bottle of water. There were 100 places we passed that had water but he had to go to a supermarket to get some upmarket bottle. Fucking infuriating :lol: then we walked to Rose Bowl, which took like a fucking hour, oh my god. How does anyone come and see sport or music or whatever here?! It’s a fucking nightmare to get to. No easy public transport and if you want to drive you’ll be in traffic forfuckingever. Anyway. Had to walk to Gate E, which took another 15 mins, but that actually worked out kinda well cos there was no line (the lines at A,B,C etc were fucking monstrous). Walked in, and we were pretty much next to the sound tent. Completely missed the Lumineers, which I couldn’t have given a shit about. And honestly, if I had been on my own, I would have been able to walk through the crowd and get an awesome spot.

The stage, when you walk in and it’s still daylight, is kind of underwhelming..? In that it just looks like a gigantic piece of cardboard lol. Okay, on to the songs.

Sunday Bloody Sunday
Thought it was a great opener. Love Larry coming out first and pounding the kit. Sounds just the same as every SBS has sounded for the last 17 years but still great.

New Year’s Day
One of their very best songs, but it’s at this point that I start to get a bit bummed that it’s all b-stage and nothing on the screen (like a shot of them playing relayed on the screen would have been really nice, which they have the capacity to do). Anyway, great song, ruled, and cool to hear that “golden age” verse… is that the first time they’ve ever played the full song? Did they play it in full on the War tour?

A Sort of Homecoming
Was just HOPING against hope against hope that they hadn’t lost confidence in this after one show. Again, the effect was somewhat lessened by it being b-stage and not really being able to see much. I’m hoping to be closer tomorrow night so it should be more powerful. Still, though, it was fucking amazing. I’m really impressed that they’re playing it… I mean, there’s been so many chances to play it since 87… but I actually think it sounds like a really difficult song to recreate live - it’s like the one song that I wouldn’t blame them for not playing, to recreate the studio version, which is so magical, would be impossible. Which is obvious, it’s mainly built around a synth line, which I quite liked. It was fucking incredible to hear. Don’t think it matched up to the album version, but again, I don’t think they could, to be honest. TUF is a weird record in that way. The production is so specific. I also thought Bono was just a little bit off. It’s a really see-sawing song, it has that eclectic delivery that much of TUF has. He flubbed a few lines and stuff. But I’m being overly critical. It was fucking amazing, and man those last lines killed me. So amazing. And I was also sober, and I plan on getting a buzz on before tomorrow’s gig, which I just landed a GA for…

Pride
I actually love this song and have no problem with it being a warehouse… but it really doesn’t work as the fourth song of the night. The whole pre-JT thing is really poorly-thought-out in my view, it needs A LOT of work imo. I think it would be fine as the fourth song of the night if they played it album speed, but they have ALWAYS played Pride slower live. Edge’s guitar is slower. And that’s fine when it’s like a late-main set song, but the fourth song needs more energy. Anyway, still ruled. The crowd kind of sucked a bit. Didn’t pick up the ‘oh oh’s as much as I would have liked. But yeah, I’m fine with this song being a warhorse. I’m listening to a playlist on iTunes of tonight’s set and I’ve heard the album version 50 trillion times and I’m not remotely sick of it. It’s awesome.

So they walk onto the stage, and then bang, the stage stops being cardboard and I start fucking crying. THIS IS THE SHIT WE’VE BEEN CALLING OUT FOR THEM TO DO FOREVER. I was so fucking emotional. That red is so fucking iconic. I just fucking wept throughout the song. Streets, in my opinion, is the best piece of art ever made by any human being. It’s fucking perfection. And hearing it live for the first time in seven years… man. AND THEN THE FUCKING GRAPHICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MY FUCKING GOD. That screen is BY FAR the best stage I’ve ever seen. It blows 360 out of the fucking water. The fucking quality…. Walking down that fucking desert road, the whole thing was just fucking perfection. I’ve given this band a lot of shit in the last while, but this is why my favourite band ever. My face was fucking wet as fuck. Streets, man. No fucking words.

Still Haven’t Found

WOWY
WOWY is absolutely in my top five U2 songs, so it’s a little crushing that these days it doesn’t translate quite as well live. Laz actually made a great point after the show as we were walking 17 hours out of the venue - the album version, particularly the verses, are so moody, and though I don’t mind the way Bono’s changed up the way he sings them in that whole upward inflection/speaking style, it just can’t match the original. I think WOWY from R&H was one of the things that made me such a rabid fan, because it’s so powerful and passionate, and it just doesn’t quite come through that way anymore. It did on Vertigo - they closed it out at my first ever show with Love Will Tear Us Apart and Never Tear Us Apart, which was phenomenal, but these days Bono just honestly does seem over it. Which is a shame, because musically it’s still fucking incredible, that Edge solo is absolutely one of his all-time best and Adam rules on it. So worth it for the music, but yeah, Bono needs to re-discover his passion for it.

Bullet the Blue Sky
So I saw Bullet back in 2006 and it kind of sucked. Because Edge wasn’t playing it properly on the guitar and it had two extremely fucking boring snippets (Hands That Built/Johnny Comes Marching Home) which extended it beyond seven minutes but added nothing. This version was fucking legit as hell. Wouldn’t have minded some megaphone action (and I thought we were going to get it with that thing he was holding, but it was just a handheld camera). But yeah, this shit ruled. The fucking screen during Edge’s solos were fucking mental, absolutely adored that savage, high-paced, distorted cutting of his guitar work. Fucking brilliant.

Running to Stand Still
So, those of you who know me know that this song …. fucking hell. I honestly don’t really know what to say. I started fucking breaking up as it started. I was like in body-shaking crying mode. I honestly don’t even know if I can write a full-on review of this song, I’m listening to it now and I’m getting mega fucking emotional again. Fuck, now I’m legit crying again. Sorry. It’s just the most … fuck. You all can make fun of me if you want, but I don’t care. I’m doing this as I’m listening. I never thought I’d hear it. I spent $1000 flying out here for this song alone. And I just can’t express in words what it all means. Sorry. Fuck.

Red Hill Mining Town
I was actually kind of relieved when this came on, so I could stop fucking crying. My overwhelming thought was, why didn’t they just fucking play this years ago. So not that hard. The horns on the screen I felt were kind of a cop-out… but that’s because whenever I hear horns in a song I just wish they were live, and, like, Springsteen would do live horns. The guitar of RHMT is better than the piano that Edge plays live, which is a shame, but once you get to the chorus, you’re not complaining, that shit just soars. It doesn’t beat the album version, nowhere near it, but the chorus is great live and Bono does a great job. I wish the ending was better, too, but it was all good.

In God’s Country
The studio version of this track is fucking searing, and I think this live version unfortunately is juuuuust not quite there, it’s just a little slow I think (similar to Pride), but I mean it was fucking great. Edge’s solo fucking ruled. And I was worried it would be half- or full-acoustic, so the fact it was full band was awesome. Bono also just didn’t do a lot of the ad-libbing yelps and stuff that’s on this album, which is no great surprise. I think we just know the album so well. Anyway, was still great and worth it for Edge’s solo alone.

Trip Through Your Wires
Okay this was a fucking massive highlight. I fucking loved this shit. So much fucking fun. The harmonica lead-in, Edge’s guitar… this was fucking awesome. I have always liked the song, and it’s probably one of the easiest to play off JT, but it fucking ruled. My immediate thought was like I wish this was played in the Desire/Angel of Harlem slots that have been regulars on previous tours, or at least a rotation. It’s the same sound, but also so much fucking fun and has harmonica that rocks too. I would so gladly take this ever gig they ever do from now on. So much fucking fun.

One Tree Hill
Okay so this is the point where I will talk about one of my anxieties that crept in. As you all know, the thing with being a U2 fan is that, until this tour… if you got RTSS, One Tree Hill, A Sort of Homecoming in the same concert, you’d be like what the absolute fuck. And when One Tree Hill came one, I was actually like…. a bit overwhelmed?? Does that make any sense to anyone? It’s because I have put so much emotion into U2 songs over the years, and I NEVER thought I would hear all these songs AT THE SAME GIG. So it came on… and I feel like for all the people here who have heard One Tree Hill in the past, the thing that makes it so special is that it’s an absolute rarity that they really only play in NZ and you might get it if you’re incredibly lucky. But when I’ve already heard RTSS and ASOH and I know One Tree Hill is coming, it took some of that sheen off, yknow? Am I insane? Am I being a fucking idiot? Once I stopped getting in my head and Edge started shredding and Bono started yelling I fucking loved it. Not quite as good as the studio or those UNBELIEVABLE LoveTown versions, but still fucking awesome.

EXIT
This is literally the best thing they have done in 20 years. Not fucking kidding. I was so fucking amped. The One Tree Hill lead-in, followed by that film clip thing (is that a real film?!)… and then the song starts. It was fucking five minutes of absolute bliss. It was fucking incredible. And everyone who’s like “oh U2 are lame pussies” fucking LOL show me a band that plays something fucking as savage as Exit. Like RTSS I don’t really want to do a deep-dive into every aspect of it, it was just fucking incredible. I fucking LOVED how Bono came out wearing a JT Tour hat, they obviously looked at the R&H or JT footage before this tour because it was really quite faithful to those iconic JT/Lovetown performances of the song. Just fucking absolutely wild. That guitar is fucking insane. I was jumping around like a fucking maniac. And I reckon they fucking loved playing it too, and I can only fucking HOPE that they realise how great their old shit is and start playing more of it. It was a shame that he didn’t snippet Gloria in the final crescendo (instead he fucking snippeted a fucking nursery rhyme, but anyway. Was amazing. Fuck you to everyone who thinks U2 are lame, this performance alone makes flying out to USA from Aus worth it. The screen during it was fucking awesome and savage as well.

This has always been my least favourite JT song, always, but it was really fucking great. The slowly-revealing imagery of all the people with candles was really powerful, and the oooooh-ooohhhs were tremendous. Much better than the album version. Loved the guitar, loved how spacey and atmospheric it was, really enjoyed it.

Beautiful Day
By FAR the best BD has ever, ever been. Laz fucking hated it, which is no surprise, but I thought they really fucking re-invented it incredibly well. I saw it open on 360 and it was a fucking awful opener, but they have obviously worked really hard on it and I really fucking loved the spacey electro relay intro they played while they were getting back on stage. It uses the screen incredibly well, I would have to say my favourite use of it for the whole show aside from the red of Streets. I think they’ve done an amazing job reinventing it. Then you get to that weird four-head electro thing which feels really, really Coldplay and is kind of off (I’m sure I’ll love it drunk though). So easily the best BD ever, but…. I couldn’t help but feel that COBL would be a hundred times better, and it would fit in so well with the visuals. But still, no complaints.

Elevation
Is Elevation. Always great fun. Edge’s solo is super underrated, he really shreds on it. Great fun. Inconsequential, sure, but I’m never gonna whinge about Elevation, cos it’s a stomper.

One
Yeah, I am more than happy for this song to be in every setlist ever. It’s a fucking great song. And the band (read: Bono) are doing some really great social-conscious stuff on this tour. I love this song. It was great. HOWEVER I MUST SAY that one of my highest U2 white whales was “do you hear us coming lord”. The last four times I’ve seen U2 I’ve just sung it to myself, which I started doing, AND THEN BONO FUCKING DID IT, HE FUCKING DID IT FAM. I’ve been waiting 12 fucking years to hear Do You Hear Us Coming and it was fucking incredible. Fuck the haters, One is a truly amazing song (and I’m listening to the studio version now, and holy shit it’s good). DO YOU HEAR US COMING LORD DO YOU HEAR ME CALL DO YOU HEAR ME KNOCKING SCRATCHING AT YOUR DOOOOOOOOR

Ultraviolet
I genuinely don’t know why Axver hates this song, it’s fucking amazing and I’m so happy it’s getting played again. It doesn’t quite have the dark, utter desperation of the album version that makes it so phenomenal, but it still fucking rules, Edge’s riff is beyond amazing and the chorus is fucking incredible too. And it’s gonna stick around all tour because it’s used for the whole “women make the world” thing. The screen is just by far the best concert thing I’ve ever seen. It kind of took away from the song in a way, Ultraviolet really only needs some deeply purple lights and let U2 do the rest, but was really fucking special. I’ll have it at every concert I ever attend from now on, it’s so good.

Miss Sarajevo
I fucking love this song, and I fucking LOVE how Edge is playing the guitar on it, not the piano like the last 12 years, combined with Larry & Adam it really makes it very 90s-sounding, which is fucking awesome. The film that accompanies it is fucking amazing and super powerful, and it makes so much sense why it’s in the setlist. But I think it’s really disappointing that Bono doesn’t sing the opera part. Maybe seven years on from the last performance he can’t do? That’s what Laz reckons, but I think it’s a huge shame that they just turn to look at the screen and have the pre-record. There’s also a stream of people leaving at this point (people were also leaving as soon as MOTD finished). But the reason I was always happy to hear Miss Sarajevo is because Bono singing it was so powerful, it really sucks that he doesn’t on this tour…… it has to stay in the set because the concept of it is really important and moving, but it’s the best part and if he doesn’t do it I’d rather many other songs.

BAD
Totally unexpected. Having seen Cori’s post I was hoping to maybe get it night two. Seems like they kind of played it on a whim tonight, Bono was like “let’s try it”…… only the second time I’ve heard it and the first time in seven years (since I last saw the band) and it was just so fucking incredibly transcendental. I was completely sober for the gig but Bad had me fucking jumping around like an absolute madman. It really is just something else entirely. They played it and it just goes so far fucking beyond 99.999999999% of live music experiences out there. It is so powerful and moving and otherworldly ……… I am actually getting upset that I can’t do it justice with my words but maybe I don’t need to, you all know what Bad live is like. But I just want to express that I was so animated and moved, I was literally jumping up and down and singing like a fucking madman. Words do not do justice. And I feel bad that I can’t do how great it was justice.

I Will Follow
So I knew from a few spoilers that there’s a new song doing the rounds and I was pumped to hear it…. they got together after Bad and they were like okay let’s do this. And they launched into I Will Follow. And honestly.!?!?!? it was a motherfucking incredible closing song. They’ve only ever played it in like the first four or five songs I think, but it was a fucking perfect closer. The crowd fucking loved it, cos it’s so energetic. To this day it still sounds as good as it did 37 years ago. That riff is fucking timeless and I fucking thought it was just an incredibly great way to close the show. I was bummed to not hear the new song after it but at the same time it was a fucking fantastic closer.

So that’s me. I just got a GA for tomorrow night and I’m gonna try drinking some wine in the lead-up. It was an incredible show, easily in the very best I’ve ever seen (though nothing will top the Verigo gig I saw, my first, and closing with an INCREDIBLE version of Kite, replete with digiridoos, which I’d played in the wake of my grandpa’s death a few weeks earlier), but I think with less inhibitions I’ll love it even more.

So did you have a good time? :wink:

Nice review, and glad to see you scored a GA for tonight.
Now ditch that hat.

Sunday Bloody Sunday

New Year’s Day

A Sort of Homecoming

Pride

Still Haven’t Found

WOWY

Bullet the Blue Sky

Running to Stand Still

Red Hill Mining Town

In God’s Country

Trip Through Your Wires

One Tree Hill

EXIT

Beautiful Day

Elevation

One

Ultraviolet

Miss Sarajevo

BAD

I Will Follow

What a great review, Cobbler. And I love seeing everyone else's posts. Making me even more excited to see this show live.

So, I too grabbed a ga for tonight.

My problem is the guy I bought it from can't get there til 2 and I really want to line up at noon. I have no idea how people are handling this need to save a spot for people thanks to Cc entry. Anyone know?

So, I too grabbed a ga for tonight.

My problem is the guy I bought it from can't get there til 2 and I really want to line up at noon. I have no idea how people are handling this need to save a spot for people thanks to Cc entry. Anyone know?

If you have just one person joining you, I'd say just go, and tell the folks directly behind you in line the situation. If they are reasonable folks (and most are, the cuckoo line Nazis will all be in the very front of the line), you shouldn't have a big issue I would think. If you have to get a number, and you are say 422, see if you can have whoever is behind you be 424 and save 423 for your date.

Glad you guys had such an awesome time. Love seeing your ecstatic reviews. Wish I had another show to go to.

And DRay is seriously one of the nicest people ever. Love him.

Last edited:
If you have just one person joining you, I'd say just go, and tell the folks directly behind you in line the situation. If they are reasonable folks (and most are, the cuckoo line Nazis will all be in the very front of the line), you shouldn't have a big issue I would think. If you have to get a number, and you are say 422, see if you can have whoever is behind you be 424 and save 423 for your date.
Thanks. I think I'm lining up with other Interference people, so hopefully I'm good.

Goddamn that was incredible. Slightly traumatized by the venue, parking, and traffic nightmare, BUT holy shit EXIT!! Agree with cobl on so many things.

My section was overcome with elation at hearing Red Hill and I got all verklempt which eased my ire over their unforgivable beer and bathroom run during RTTS. (Ok, I don't really care but wtf?!)

How endearingly corny was it when Bono put on the JT hat and took the jacket off to reveal the JT vest? I laughed my ass off. Ending on a high note with IWF was spectacular.

As everyone else has said, it was just unreal to hear all those songs in one show. I have listened to JT on my headphones on planes, trains, and automobiles all over the western world, and blasted it in my car through the deserts, mountains, and canyons of the Southwest a million times, and I will probably never tire of doing that. Hearing it live was truly a momentous experience, and I couldn't have been happier with everything else they did and the order in which they did it.

Tonight I have a much better seat and will be joined by one of my oldest and dearest friends, yay. And then I will never return to the Rose Bowl again.
Unless martha's driving.

Back
Top Bottom