Shuttlecock XIX - send $40 now for your opportunity to not get a presale code

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The most frustrating thing about American Soul for me is the snippet that's on XXX sounded so fucking good. I was so excited to hear that song. :sigh:

Really? I never was. The lyrics were Peak 2000s Bono.

If anything American Soul was better than I expected it to be, because the instrumentation isn't godawful. I mean, it's clearly superior than that Best Thing drivel.

I'm afraid of Americans(oul).

I mean I'm literally afraid to listen to it, and probably won't. You're The Best Thing is so woeful.

It’s better than the two singles but a fair way short of The Blackout.

I concur with this.

If it weren't for the Ned/Fred thing, I wouldn't have much to criticise about The Blackout, and even that's given us a decent meme.

But, sigh. When they put up the live video of The Blackout I felt, for the first time, optimistic about SOE. Everything since then has not only swept away that optimism, but left me fearing that this might be the worst album of the band's career.

Yeah... same here, that's now all four out of thirteen studio songs released I just cannot connect with or want to replay and that makes for some mighty teeth grinding listening when it comes to a full album play, it'd be like a Bowie playlist where you take say... Young Americans and Station To Station and dumps four songs from Never let Me Down or Tonight in it's midst.

Saw some new lyrics posted for the opener in other places, any thoughts? I think love is mentioned a lot, kinda felt the clunk is strong in this one, but people who have heard it suggest the tune is good....

I concur with this.

If it weren't for the Ned/Fred thing, I wouldn't have much to criticise about The Blackout, and even that's given us a decent meme.

But, sigh. When they put up the live video of The Blackout I felt, for the first time, optimistic about SOE. Everything since then has not only swept away that optimism, but left me fearing that this might be the worst album of the band's career.

I've honestly not even picked up that rhyme, so it doesn't bother me at all.

But Bono reeeally goes out of his way to emphasise refujesus in American Soul, unfortunately.

The final section of XXX with Bono's feature is, musically, exactly the direction I want a mature U2 to go in. It strongly brought to mind the Million Dollar Hotel soundtrack, so it's no wonder that Bono suited the instrumental so well. He's having an increasingly difficult time sounding sprightly over these mall rock tracks they're writing.

Saw some new lyrics posted for the opener in other places, any thoughts? I think love is mentioned a lot, kinda felt the clunk is strong in this one, but people who have heard it suggest the tune is good....

Those lyrics are sure as shit not flash, no. I'm hoping they aren't correct, but U2Songs are not a site known for posting bollocks.

But the lyrics aren't a straight-up disaster like Best Thing or the second verse of GOO Your Own Way or refu-jesus. So maybe the music is revelatory and they work in context? I don't know why I keep hoping.

I've honestly not even picked up that rhyme, so it doesn't bother me at all.

But Bono reeeally goes out of his way to emphasise refujesus in American Soul, unfortunately.

I didn't notice it the first few times. Now it's kind of glaring. But maybe that's Interference's fault, Walt.

The final section of XXX with Bono's feature is, musically, exactly the direction I want a mature U2 to go in. It strongly brought to mind the Million Dollar Hotel soundtrack, so it's no wonder that Bono suited the instrumental so well. He's having an increasingly difficult time sounding sprightly over these mall rock tracks they're writing.

Sometimes I find myself wondering if Bono is turning into the Robert Mugabe of Mall Rock.

Bono will still be out there when he's 95, strutting like Marvin Gaye as the fans starve and some Colleen-come-lately is groomed for the succession (shot of Larry Mullen screaming in back cell).

But at least in the past everyone got to try the presales. If you didn't get what you wanted that was a risk that was known. Not being given the opportunity to try for $40 or $50 is a next level slap in the face to 10% or whatever of your customer base.

Springsteen's Broadway run used a verified fan lottery system but no stupid membership fee requirement for presale access to lottery. So when I didn't get offered a code, sadness but no feeling of being ripped off. I'd say it worked pretty well and was about as fair as could be expected for an 800 seat venue with an enormous demand. My expectations were about on par with winning an actual lottery.

(When the show was extended into next year, I was surprised and delighted to get a code one morning after I'd forgotten about the whole thing, scrambled to use it and secured a ticket on a less than desirable January night, so hopefully I can make it.)

Listed to AS for the first time. Thankfully the cringeworthy-on-paper "refujesus" wasn't as overwhelmingly glaring or cringeworthy in practice.

It's a mysterious series of fragments of all sorts of things we've heard before, which probably outstays it's welcome by about 30 seconds (no need for the final chorus).

I'm hopeful that it makes more sense in a broader album context once SoE is released.

But I don't dislike American Soul, more perplexed as to why they would put something together like this.

Do they have good music there?

It's just full of American souls.

Listed to AS for the first time. Thankfully the cringeworthy-on-paper "refujesus" wasn't as overwhelmingly glaring or cringeworthy in practice.

Huh? The way Bono goes far too hard on trying to shout it meaningfully is the second most glaring thing in the entire song, after the recycling of a shit part of Volcano.

Fuck, it's a terrible, completely directionless song. At least Volcano is cohesive, even if I don't like it all that much.

It's not looking good, gang.

My girlfriend's first comment after hearing Best Thing was how can a band that's been around for 40 years be this bad at writing songs? And she's got a point. It's like they've forgotten how to even write songs.

I would just say Bono has nothing to write about but wants to stay relevant in music.

It's fucking hard to write about something when you're rich, over the hill, famous, and successful.

And when you're surrounded by sycophants and an Edge in the same situation. For once, it seems like Larry and Adam are getting stuck around these idiots.

I would just say Bono has nothing to write about but wants to stay relevant in music.

It's fucking hard to write about something when you're rich, over the hill, famous, and successful.
Yeah i think this is quite a big factor. Same goes for the other 3. Edge has gone so many places with guitar. Where else is there he actually wants to go? I get the impression the rhythm section are happy just rocking out. And by happy I mean Adam is happy. Larry is a sullen bastard.

I see a lot of 'OMG don't criticise the band, they don't owe us anything!' over the years online.

A. That's arguable.

B. What about what the band owe themselves?

I find it a strange leap of logic that criticising the band means the critic thinks the band owes them something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom