Shuttlecock XIV: Bono the Vampire Slayer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, it's probably been a year or so since I've listened to SOI. I still like it, though.

If it really is stadium shows and they play Soldier Field I will be there with bells on.

Sent from my SM-G920V using U2 Interference mobile app

Why not both? When Springsteen did full album shows a few years ago, he played some random songs, ran through Born to Run, then played some other tracks.

Joshua Tree is 50 minutes. That leaves an hour or so for other songs. Maybe throw in an intermission and they can play another Hour and a half. No reason they can't promote a new record at those shows too.

Agreed, but this is U2 were talking about.

I could one hundred percent see them doing something like this.

The Miracle
~new song~
Vertigo
I Will Follow
~new song~
~new song~
SBS
Raised By Wolves
UTEOTW

intermission ft. clips from JT tour

Streets
ISFHWILF
WOWY
Bullet
Elevation
~new song~
In God's Country
~new song~
Every Breaking Wave
Pride
Beautiful Day
Mothers of the Disappeared

City of Blinding Lights
~new song~
One

Tell me that is not likely.

Agreed, but this is U2 were talking about.

I could one hundred percent see them doing something like this.

The Miracle
~new song~
Vertigo
I Will Follow
~new song~
~new song~
SBS
Raised By Wolves
UTEOTW

intermission ft. clips from JT tour

Streets
ISFHWILF
WOWY
Bullet
Elevation
~new song~
In God's Country
~new song~
Every Breaking Wave
Pride
Beautiful Day
Mothers of the Disappeared

City of Blinding Lights
~new song~
One

Tell me that is not likely.

they that's not unlikely

Given how I haven't had the slightest inclination to listen to Songs of Innocence since about November 2014 I would much rather hear JT in full than get a new album. :reject:

With you on this. Couldn't care less if U2 never release another new song, but geez I'd love to hear Exit, In God's Country, and Mothers of the Disappeared live.

Why not both? When Springsteen did full album shows a few years ago, he played some random songs, ran through Born to Run, then played some other tracks.

Joshua Tree is 50 minutes. That leaves an hour or so for other songs. Maybe throw in an intermission and they can play another Hour and a half. No reason they can't promote a new record at those shows too.

Indeed. I got Born in the USA in full and was almost begging for the show to end.

Open with The Joshua Tree, intermission, bring out whatever they feel like.

I'm enjoying some of the silly reactions and debates on The Other Place to this news. My favourite are the posts acting as if Bono said this stuff about SOE and/or JT without approval by the rest of the band and it's just more hot air. Uh-huh, so they're standing in the background and sign off on the video being put online despite not approving of what Bono said. That's real plausible.

Also, anybody who thinks the Billboard article was pulled because it published totally incorrect info is insane. False rumours don't affect the band much and always just stay up and float around the fandom with a life of their own until accurate info comes out. It got pulled because it was too close to the mark and management didn't want their thunder stolen.

Also, anybody who thinks the Billboard article was pulled because it published totally incorrect info is insane. False rumours don't affect the band much and always just stay up and float around the fandom with a life of their own until accurate info comes out. It got pulled because it was too close to the mark and management didn't want their thunder stolen.

Look I think this thing can go either way, but I think we'd be ignorant to think a pulling of the article proves one thing over another.

One, Billboard has had a pretty sizable misstep regarding U2 recently and wants to save their own ass. Second, I do think a false rumor of a Stadium tour if it didn't happen would hurt the band, it would look like they got cold feet once again. So to think this only proves one thing is rather silly.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Look I think this thing can go either way, but I think we'd be ignorant to think a pulling of the article proves one thing over another.

One, Billboard has had a pretty sizable misstep regarding U2 recently and wants to save their own ass. Second, I do think a false rumor of a Stadium tour if it didn't happen would hurt the band, it would look like they got cold feet once again. So to think this only proves one thing is rather silly.

Mate, there are rubbish rumours all the time, from mainstream outlets and fan sites and everything in between. I cannot think of a single instance of the band's management getting one pulled.

It was revised because it revealed too much. End of.

If they do end up playing Joshua Tree in full at some of the shows, I will do everything possible to be at one. Pawn my car, sell a kidney, whatever it takes.

Why on earth would I pay money to go see U2 play the Joshua Tree when I can go on Youtube and watch them play the same material back when they were at the top of their game?

You might as well say "Why would I go to ANY concert when I can just go on YouTube and watch that band play the same material?"

Sounds as if you just don't like going to shows. Which is fine.

You might or might not be half right, but in this particular instance... U2 and Bono in particular strike me as being well past their prime as live performers.

I'm enjoying some of the silly reactions and debates on The Other Place to this news.

There are continual comments about people overreacting to this or that, and I almost can't tell what they're reacting to any more. As far as I can tell, the latest one seems to be that anyone who still isn't 100% sure that SOE will be released is a fearmongering troublemaker. There's also conjecture about whether this JT stadium (or not) dealio will be separate to I+E resuming or a (smallish) tour in its own right. This has caused significant angst apparently..

Last edited:
You might or might not be half right, but in this particular instance... U2 and Bono in particular strike me as being well past their prime as live performers.

For me, new material is always going to be a selling point, however much I enjoy the album. I don't outright dislike any LP the band has done.

If they're simply a nostalgia act, I really don't care. I don't need to hear the back half of JT that badly.

And to be honest, part of me is mad that AB isn't getting this treatment instead, as it's my favorite album of all time. While playing that all the way through would also be a nostalgia trip, it still represents a more daring, modern period.

They half-assed it on 360. I imagine they will half-ass it with JT this time around too.

Big difference is these shows are specifically promoted as JT anniversary shows, but you know... facts, we shouldn't let them get in the way.

That's an awfully long bow you've drawn. I'm not sure when Bono said they're specifically doing JT anniversary shows mate.

OK, so in the video (with Adam decorating a joshua tree in the background) Bono says "Next year is going to be a big year for the U2 group. We have Songs of Experience coming and to honour 30 years of the Joshua Tree we have some very special shows coming. Very special."

This could literally mean anything, but I personally do not think they will be billed as anniversary shows, which the media has been reporting it as. I think a portion of the show will be devoted to the Joshua Tree.

What I'm also curious about is what a stadium setup will look like, including the screen.

Jeezuz, you know what I mean. They are specifically saying they'll do shows with JT 30 in mind, nothing was ever said about AB that way.

For me, new material is always going to be a selling point, however much I enjoy the album. I don't outright dislike any LP the band has done.

If they're simply a nostalgia act, I really don't care. I don't need to hear the back half of JT that badly.

And to be honest, part of me is mad that AB isn't getting this treatment instead, as it's my favorite album of all time. While playing that all the way through would also be a nostalgia trip, it still represents a more daring, modern period.

Agreed. And quite aside from the nostalgia aspect, I can't - literally cannot conceive - of 2017 Bono bringing the intensity that something like Exit was in concert in the late eighties.

All of this is of course if they were in fact doing a 'play the whole Joshua Tree cause it's the anniversary' tour, which honestly probably isn't what's happening at all. Christ I'm glad I don't read EYKIW anymore.

OK, so in the video (with Adam decorating a joshua tree in the background) Bono says "Next year is going to be a big year for the U2 group. We have Songs of Experience coming and to honour 30 years of the Joshua Tree we have some very special shows coming. Very special."

Not that everyone means what they're saying grammatically, but to say "some very special shows" doesn't read to me like he's talking about the whole leg of the tour. Which implies stand-alone shows.

And the clarification of "very special" also reads more than simply dropping a couple extra JT songs into the setlist.

If I had to bet money, I'd say the band picks a few big cities to do full-album concerts. New York, Dublin, maybe London, Boston, Paris, Los Angeles.

Album came out in March, so I'm guessing we get 5-10 JT anniversary shows in major US/European markets in March-April and then a formal leg of the I+E tour in the late summer/early fall.

Back
Top Bottom