Shuttlecock XI: Yes Virginia, You Did Save Bono's Life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So do people think we'll see a significant shake-up in the setlist before Europe?

I've enjoyed making my own sets this tour.

The Miracle/Reach Around
The Electric Co./Gloria/Two Hearts/11OTT
Vertigo
I Will Follow/Out of Control
Mofo/Lemon/Tomorrow
Iris
Song for Someone
Cedarwood Road
Please
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Raised By Wolves
UTEOTW
~The Wanderer intermission~
Invisible
EBTTRT/Discotheque
Mysterious Ways/The Fly
rotating slot - add Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, TTTYAATW & Stay
rotating slot - add In God's Country, A Sort of Homecoming & Drowning Man
October/Endless Deep
New Year's Day
Bullet the Blue Sky
Running to Stand Still
Pride
Beautiful Day
AIWIY/Bad/The Troubles/The Ground Beneath Her Feet
WOWY
~encore break~
City of Blinding Lights
Every Breaking Wave (full band)
Streets (no bullshit beforehand)
One/ISHFWILF singalong
'40'

They'll realise that this setlist just isn't giving the people what they want on a consistent basis, and so they'll play both One and I Still Haven't Found EVERY night.

Of course, you can't play more than 24 songs a night, so we gotta lose the 80s slot. Yep, that's right. We're gonna have an audience singalong for the SECOND song of the night!

Can't you guys wait! :D :D :D

Endless Deep, nice.

I think it's fairly obvious the second half of the main set and encore need serious work, but I'm sceptical whether the band will see that. I at least hope the awful fucking Hands/Pride thing falls by the wayside, but I've become increasingly cynical about any change at all.

I would assume a couple of tweaks for Europe, but minor ones. But good chance The Hands That Built America snippet will be one of those changes.

I don't see big changes. I said this elsewhere, but this strikes me as a Popmart kind of tour with very little variety throughout (although arguably it has had much more variety so far than Popmart).

I guess what I'm hoping for now is that the 2016 legs embrace the Experience side, and hopefully more of 1990s gems.

It would be cool if Dirty Day or ....Crashed Car were played on the next leg.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

SiriusXM Townhall with U2: Bono, The Edge, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen, Jr. answer fan questions | SiriusXM Blog

“The philosophy of the first album is probably best contained in a line from our second album October in a song called Rejoice. And the line is, ‘I can’t change the world, but I can change the world in me.’ That was the position that I think we felt when we were in our younger times,” he explained. “For Songs of Experience, it’s a different line — it’s in [the song] Lucifer’s Hands, which is an outtake that really has both innocence and experience in it – and it has the line, ‘I can change the world, but I can’t change the world in me.’

Bono continued: “So the thing is, when we were younger, we were fighting very much with the physical world and trying to make it a better place, trying to fight when we would see injustice wherever it raised its head. Whereas in the ‘90s we made a kind of a change, and we started fighting perhaps more interesting enemies, the ones that you find in your own life, in your own heart — the hypocrisy of the human heart is great material — and just finding those kinds of enemies, you know, it’s the world in you rather than the exterior world.”

Thematically, it never occurred to me til you just said that how much sense Acrobat would've made in the Bullet part of the show. Either right before it or right after it....ugh but I liked Pride there tooooooo.

If somebody hasn't seen this already (starts immediately here)...

Meh. He should just pretend it's 3/4. He plays that rhythm every night.

I think it's fairly obvious the second half of the main set and encore need serious work, but I'm sceptical whether the band will see that. I at least hope the awful fucking Hands/Pride thing falls by the wayside, but I've become increasingly cynical about any change at all.

Though it can be better, I can't say that it's 'obvious' that the second half needs serious work. I thought that the sequence they had for most of the Boston and the first four of the New York shows was very good (EBW --> (Bad) --> WOWY --> COBL --> BTBS --> Pride), certainly better than the EBW --> BTBS sequence.
Having seen/heard it myself I of course want different songs now (The Troubles!), but on itself it's a very good sequence. And yes, I'm enjoying Pride on this tour. :)

Though it can be better, I can't say that it's 'obvious' that the second half needs serious work. I thought that the sequence they had for most of the Boston and the first four of the New York shows was very good (EBW --> (Bad) --> WOWY --> COBL --> BTBS --> Pride), certainly better than the EBW --> BTBS sequence.
Having seen/heard it myself I of course want different songs now (The Troubles!), but on itself it's a very good sequence. And yes, I'm enjoying Pride on this tour. :)

That sequence was generally an improvement, but COBL/Bullet was a spectacularly awkward transition. Worse than EBW/Bullet in my view. That could've been solved pretty easily by putting NYD in between.

And Pride itself sounds OK this tour, better than some previous tours (the mid-song speech is tedious and often overlong but we all know to expect that sort of thing); my problem is the Hands intro.

Blessings! BLESSINGS! BLEEESSSSIIIINGS!

Yeah, no.

I find it interesting that on every tour from Vertigo onwards there seemed to be a Interference consensus that Pride sounds better. I think it's the same slog every single time. But the audience participation negates that point anyway. Let them revel in mediocrity I say.

I have a weird relationship with COBL (the song, not the Donko): it was my favorite song off The Bomb right from the beginning, and (not including Mercy) probably still is. I think it's done well live. But I really don't have a desire to see it again and I just don't think it's good enough to be a permanent staple. Vertigo, on the other hand, is a barnburner and I don't have a problem with it being played at every show, because it delivers and gets the crowd going.

I love the song dearly, obviously, so don't mind seeing it at every show though I wouldn't get too upset if it was dropped or relegated or rotated. It was exceptional on 360, particularly with the screen (a blurry photo I took of it has been my iphone background and twitter header for five years), not sure how well it comes across this tour but from the shitty footage I've seen it still looks pretty cool.

I find it interesting that on every tour from Vertigo onwards there seemed to be a Interference consensus that Pride sounds better. I think it's the same slog every single time. But the audience participation negates that point anyway. Let them revel in mediocrity I say.

I'd say that Pride on Vertigo/360/IE has sounded about the same, and my comments about it being better than in the past are mainly in comparison to its shockingly bad performances of Popmart and Elevation.

Either way, it's a song I have no desire to hear live - and I adore the studio version. I wish it and WOWY didn't get such big audience reactions, because they are two of the live U2 songs that are the biggest step down from their recorded counterparts. They're about the worst advertisements for live U2 that you can imagine and purely on quality of performance really should not be played.

(Though WOWY this tour is at least a bit less godawful than it was last tour, which was - so far - its nadir.)

I have a weird relationship with COBL (the song, not the Donko): it was my favorite song off The Bomb right from the beginning, and (not including Mercy) probably still is. I think it's done well live. But I really don't have a desire to see it again and I just don't think it's good enough to be a permanent staple. Vertigo, on the other hand, is a barnburner and I don't have a problem with it being played at every show, because it delivers and gets the crowd going.

:up:

Back
Top Bottom