Shuttlecock XI: Yes Virginia, You Did Save Bono's Life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They start off really similar, but EBW goes for the throat immediately instead of simmering like WOWY.

WOWY is emotion effortlessly imbued. EBW is emotion forced, with all the subtlety of a brick to the face.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Every Breaking Wave is fantastic. That performance at the MTV EMA's is one of my favorite U2 moments.

Maybe it's because I'm younger and therefore don't have the nostalgia factor, but I actually enjoy a large portion of the Cock's 2000s work. SOI is probably my 5th favorite U2 album and I like most of the songs that most people on here hate, like Stuck and ABOY (although the intellectual tortoise line is horrendous). Before I joined Interference I always thought those songs were pretty well liked.

Every Breaking Wave is fantastic. That performance at the MTV EMA's is one of my favorite U2 moments.

Maybe it's because I'm younger and therefore don't have the nostalgia factor, but I actually enjoy a large portion of the Cock's 2000s work. SOI is probably my 5th favorite U2 album and I like most of the songs that most people on here hate, like Stuck and ABOY (although the intellectual tortoise line is horrendous). Before I joined Interference I always thought those songs were pretty well liked.

It's because Interference conditions people to dislike U2 songs that are actually good.

Agreed with your opinion on EBW at the EMA's. Simply amazing.

It's because Interference conditions people to dislike U2 songs that are actually good.

Agreed with your opinion on EBW at the EMA's. Simply amazing.

Nah, mang. People come to U2's music for different reasons - some people, like myself, are really into post-punk and kind of fucked up rock music, and there's plenty to find in U2's music that scratches that itch. I'm not even talking about the obscure German B-sides here, either - if you look at a song like With Or Without You, it's a WEIRD song. Bono's vocal and Adam's bassline are very traditional, but the rest of that song is pretty weird, yet it's constructed in a way that's accessible.

That element of the weird has been mostly absent from U2's music since 2000, with a few exceptions. As a consequence, anyone who enjoys the weirdness inherent in their music is going to be turned off by the traditionalism of this era of their music. A good example of where it's present in post-2000 U2 would be in A Man And A Woman, which is a flamenco influenced ballad with all of these little production intricacies. And yet they pull it off. Or Sleep Like A Baby Tonight, which is this anguished song based off of a droning synth pattern and violent guitar lines, and which also works because of the interweaving of the traditional and the weird.

But yet, it's what audiences, even audiences here, love them for. Achtung Baby is revered among the fanbase, even though it's a band experimenting with strange song structures and fucked up guitar tones. People fucking love POP, even though it has a heavy dance track in the number three slot and is awash with this detachment and irony.

All that weirdness has mostly disappeared from their music, touring, etc. It means you'll still get a "good-great" show, but all of the risk that is required to make something exploratory and weird and brilliant is gone.

Can we talk more about the pre-Tedder/Epworth version of EBW more? Edge is doing some pretty lacerating stuff guitar-wise on the choruses and it's a lot less safer of a recording.

The verses are the same but I don't have a problem with them as they're effective without being over the top.

Good post. And whilst I love that everyone's having a great time (I'm sure I will too in 2027) and are annoyed by negative posts, it's also a bit annoying to not be able to express negative opinions about a band we obviously love just because they're touring at the moment and most of you are seeing multiple shows and having a great time. All we can do is listen to shitty streams. Hard to get too excited about a show you haven't seen and won't see for at least a year.

My thought of this morning was how much it sucks they're working with producers like that in search of some crossover hit when it's clear they can make great dance tracks on their own or with a non-top 40 producer

Interference didn't "condition" me to hate Unknown Caller.

I hate Unknown Caller because the first time I heard the chorus I blacked out and murdered my wife and three small children.

I definitely wasn't conditioned by interference to dry heave the first time I heard the OHHHH OHHHHH OHHHHHHs in The Miracle. Imagine Dragons did that.

Last edited:
Yeah Grant is the real deal. Jazz guitar is too often like elevator music, but Grant never went that route.

Hehe. I had a feeling my "condition" comment would get tons of love.

:sexywink:

To clarify my point (not that I need to because I'm sexy) I just see a lot of people come in here really positive from the beginning and then over time they become more and more negative. I think it's just a product of the culture here. I'm not saying by any means that it's all negative but I do believe that the culture here does influence people to speak more negatively than they would if they hadn't visited the site.

PS. I love you all. You're beautiful people.

I just realised that being a fanboy made me a wanker, that's all that changed.

Never join fansites. it's a mistake to make once, but not twice. Put it this way, I'm not registering at atease. But on the other hand I'm not leaving here so.

I think the internet in general breeds negativity and cynicism, not just interference.

Oh completely agreed. I often compare it to starting a job with a very positive attitude and then suddenly you meet the staff that's been there for three or four years and they start complaining about the little things that piss them off and then suddenly that new employee becomes those people three or four years later.

Back
Top Bottom