Shuttlecock X: Cobbler gets on stage and forces U2 into a medley of Outkast covers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I thought I'd share my thoughts on the two concerts in Toronto since I'm sure everyone is dying to know...

Night 1

I drove to Toronto from Ottawa so didn't get to the ACC until just before noon, luckily my sister showed up a bit earlier, she insisted on getting on the list and having one of the Nazis write a number on our hands - I went along knowing it does nothing - we were 130 and 132. I am kind of surprised how smaller the line was compared to 360 - we showed up at 7 am for that and we were in the 300s, I guess it was the larger amount of GA for the previous tour and the fact that it was on a Monday this time around.

The line moved fairly smoothly and we were able to secure a rail spot on the catwalk a little closer to the e stage on the North Side easily.

Highlights of the show for me:

Out Of Control - I've seen this once before according to U2 gigs but I had forgotten, love this song

Raised By Wolves - This is quickly becoming my favourite song on the new album and is only better live, the intensity is terrific.

The Wanderer - If this is the only chance I will ever get to hear this song in a semi-live capacity I will take it.

Desire - This was just pure fun, Acrobat did a great job and I loved the dueling harmonicas with Gabe at the end

Bullet The Blue Sky - I was surprised how much I missed this song on the last tour but it needed a break. It has way more energy and power this tour.

Bad - I don't really have to say anything about this do I? It also helped that Bono dropped to his knees and sang the Moment of Surrender snippet right fucking in front of me, probably a top 10 moment for all of my U2 live experiences.

Lowlights:

Not much to complain about first night, obviously could not see the screen from my location so a lot of the effects were lost on me. Still Haven't Found is a weak closer although Stand By Me kind of helped. I got Elevation AND Stuck but I honestly didn't mind either...

Night 2

Showed up around 5, went South Side this time and got the spot I wanted, leaning against the Red Zone Rail about mid stage.

Highlights:

THE SCREEN - I am a total technology geek when it comes to U2 shows - I think that's why I tend to like the flashier shows like Zoo TV, Popmart and 360 and this one really impressed me - I loved the effects for Cedarwood, Invisible, EBTTRT, etc...

Angel of Harlem/All I Want Is You - I happen to love both of these songs so getting them back to back was great and then of course seeing Gibson Girl preform them was just awesome.

With Or Without You - Shine Like Stars made this song so much better, I'm embarrassed to say how excited the addition of two lines made me at that moment but yeah, very cool to witness that.

Lowlights:

Technical Glitches - I missed out on Crystal Ballroom, GAH! Not that its a favourite or anything but another song is another song. Edge seemed to be having an off night though, he didn't perform in the screen for UTEOW which seemed odd to me...

Overall had an amazing time.

Heading downtown in a few for night 1, hoping to get a little Reach Around tonight, Tues or Wed. (Lets face it they won't play it but if they do it'll be tomorrow when I don't have tickets).

GA. #130 in line. Not sure yet where we're going to try and get a spot. Probably catwalk somehwhere.

GA again for Tues and Wed. No tix for tomorrow (as yet, still a possobility)

We're in Loge 9 Row 16 - give us a wave if you can!

I'm going to stay out of the setlist parties for a while. It's actually not the people this time, it's just that I'm salty about how much better the tour has gotten. They're playing 25-26 songs a night now, sometimes they extend the E stage segment, there always seems to be an extra song after Beautiful Day, they're ad-libbing shit, I feel more than ever like I saw a couple dress rehearsals in LA and it's irritating.

Just something to keep in mind for next tour, I guess. I assumed they would experiment early and get into a rut later, but they actually started the tour off very conservatively before opening it up big time.

I mean, I loved the shows I saw, but I sure wish I had another one in my plans.

Oh well. Next leg.

:lol:

I forgot that I'm not going to be able to avoid the tour entirely. I will have to do a couple NYC shows for the U2gigs twitter.

:lol:

I forgot that I'm not going to be able to avoid the tour entirely. I will have to do a couple NYC shows for the U2gigs twitter.

But will Cobbler send you sarcastic tweets like he does with Chris? :wink:

I have always maintained that the best time to see U2 on a tour is mid to late on the first leg - after the kinks are ironed out but before they stop experimenting and get stuck in a cosy groove. Of course, the first leg of 360 then proved to be underwhelming and they didn't really go crazy until the last fucking leg.

I'm going to stay out of the setlist parties for a while. It's actually not the people this time, it's just that I'm salty about how much better the tour has gotten. They're playing 25-26 songs a night now, sometimes they extend the E stage segment, there always seems to be an extra song after Beautiful Day, they're ad-libbing shit, I feel more than ever like I saw a couple dress rehearsals in LA and it's irritating.

Just something to keep in mind for next tour, I guess. I assumed they would experiment early and get into a rut later, but they actually started the tour off very conservatively before opening it up big time.

Whatever, this show had Ordinary Love and Elevation.

Bad + a double encore that didn't include ISHFWILF was nice, though.

I wouldn't mind running the U2 gigs twitter one night. I suspect I wouldn't be allowed to though.

What do you think I am, crazy? :wink:

In seriousness, we can use all the help we can get. Europe will be toughest, so if anybody here has an interest I would be very appreciative. For NYC we need somebody to cover the first night (I think Travis is able to do this?) and the fifth. I've also just realised we might need someone for Boston 4. Any shows that fall on weekdays (Australian time) I like not having to do because it's hard to juggle work and covering a gig.

Ashley might do one of those NYC shows, not sure which. I can cover one. Or maybe one of us will do the site article and the other can do the Twitter. Either way, Trashley has you covered.

I have also just learnt from the Other Place that nobody running the U2gigs Twitter may indulge in any gay talk.

Shuttlecock X: Cobbler gets on stage and forces U2 into a medley of Outkast c...

What?? Post it here!

I can do the fifth show!! Or Boston 4

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Back
Top Bottom