Shuttlecock VI: Leo can't see from GA cause his Dad put Red Zone on the rail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bono won't even get Leo into the Red Zone?

Cruel.

So cruel, even.

So one of my best friends who now lives in Houston is doing some contract work for Live Nation and emailed me a pdf last night of a merchandise contract from 2008...title is:

Share Purchase Agreement of De-Lux Merchandise Company Limited

among

Paul Hewson, David Evans, Adam Clayton, Larry Mullen, Jr., Not Us Limited, Principle Management Limited, Jeremy Joseph and Tonya Davis

and

Live Nation Limited

Haven't had a chance to go through it in much detail yet, 67 pages, mostly lawyer speak contract mumbo jumbo. Signed by Bono, Edge and Adam and an attorney signed "as attorney in fact(I think that word is fact, handwriting is a little tricky) for" Larry.

Bono signed "PDH" on the line for Paul Hewson and Edge signed "David Evans"

Contract for 7.5 Million.

I've been staying out of here lately cause I liked not knowing anything about the tour, but Travis told me about the red zone issue this morning.

If it's true ... I'm unhappy, to say the least

Alright, I see it's en vogue to joke about those who are pissed off about the redzone revelations (possible title to a Monday Night Jihad sequel?), but at the risk of being labeled a whiner, let me put in my two cents.

Assuming the redzone is indeed surrounding the catwalk...

The issue here isn't real fans (in the eyes of U2) vs. casual fans (in the eyes of U2); that's deflecting. The split here is between real fans that spent a little extra and got an unexpected privilege vs. real fans that got fucked over by a misleading seating chart.

Listen, on a practical basis, I'll live. A few people will be in front of me, it's cool. That likely always would have happened. The problem is that I had no say in the matter. I paid for one thing based on the assumption that the seating chart was accurate, but ultimately got another. And poor Ashley, holy shit she's fucked. I don't how she's going to see anything with a spot consigned to the middle of the pit.

I'm not outraged, but I am a little irritated and disappointed in the band/conglomeration that greenlit this. Bad form, U2LiveNation. Set the price absurdly high, fine. But let people know what they're paying for.

I'm just gonna shut up because I think most people haven't even grasped the lay out.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Alright, I see it's en vogue to joke about those who are pissed off about the redzone revelations (possible title to a Monday Night Jihad sequel?), but at the risk of being labeled a whiner, let me put in my two cents.

Assuming the redzone is indeed surrounding the catwalk...

The issue here isn't real fans (in the eyes of U2) vs. casual fans (in the eyes of U2); that's deflecting. The split here is between real fans that spent a little extra and got an unexpected privilege vs. real fans that got fucked over by a misleading seating chart.

Listen, on a practical basis, I'll live. A few people will be in front of me, it's cool. That likely always would have happened. The problem is that I had no say in the matter. I paid for one thing based on the assumption that the seating chart was accurate, but ultimately got another. And poor Ashley, holy shit she's fucked. I don't how she's going to see anything with a spot consigned to the middle of the pit.

I'm not outraged, but I am a little irritated and disappointed in the band/conglomeration that greenlit this. Bad form, U2LiveNation. Set the price absurdly high, fine. But let people know what they're paying for.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're implying that the only "rail" space is along the catwalk, and failing to acknowledge all the space around the main stage, as well as the circular "e" stage on the other end. And despite the whole thematic, spread out theatrical presentation, a large bulk of the show will still likely be done on the main stage. So not sure why someone's first impulse would be to hit the catwalk anyway.

See I'm getting mixed information, I hope we get official word on how the setup works soon.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're implying that the only "rail" space is along the catwalk, and failing to acknowledge all the space around the main stage, as well as the circular "e" stage on the other end. And despite the whole thematic, spread out theatrical presentation, a large bulk of the show will still likely be done on the main stage. So not sure why someone's first impulse would be to hit the catwalk anyway.

I want to know about the stage itself, definitely. But I don't know why that wouldn't be redzone.

In any case, let fans know the entire catwalk is off limits unless you pay $350.

Well looking at the photos. the red(pink) lines stop at both stages so one could infer that Red Zone will strictly be at the catwalk and both stages are regular GA. Its all speculation at this point of course.

As I stated in the other place, I wonder if they realized the layout they put out there with 2 Red Zone spots on either side of the "e" stage didn't provide them enough space for the amount of RZ tix they sold and they are crafting an alternative plan. Not sure how that could happen, not like there isn't enough info of the width of a typical arena floor, but hey LiveNation so anything is possible.

Band probably has no clue at this point. Hopefully we can at least get another angry Larry rant out of this.

See I'm getting mixed information, I hope we get official word on how the setup works soon.

I bet the folks going to Vancouver are going to find out only once they enter the building. The rest of us at least will know for sure before our shows and can plan accordingly.

I'm just gonna shut up because I think most people haven't even grasped the lay out.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

This.

All usual front row will be front row still.

The ramp between the i and the e is hardly primo real estate. There's gonna be a shit ton of front row/rail still. Wait and see

Sent from my ass crack

How it looks to me is that the I and E, the prime real estate, will be regular GA, but that the catwalk rail will be Red Zone - which may account for at least or over half the total rail space. But then there's way more rail space than on any previous U2 tour, so that's still a case of swings and roundabouts.

It will also be a fairly narrow Red Zone by the looks and it's rarely tightly packed, so if you're on the rail behind the Red Zone you should still get a very good view. I did that once or twice on 360 and it was a really handy sightline. I think Matthias filmed a whole heap of U2gigs' videos from that vantage point.

H so if you're on the rail behind the Red Zone you should still get a very good view.

I don't see why anyone would even worry about the view if they were 'behind' the Red Zone...the band won't be there much and the most part of the "viewing" would be done facing the i stage, and then of course turning around when they move out to the e stage...and that of course pretty much mirrors the viewing experience of past tours: if you were front row, or close to it, you'd have to rotate to see them go out on the outer rail areas, and your view would be a bit less desirable (but not much less). I honestly don't think there's anything to worry about.

What gets me thinking, though, are the screens. If I'm, say, nearer to the front part of the i stage, say Edge's side...and the screens are showing something, that means they will be displaying images/data to my right side/back...so I'll have to turn to see the screens? Well then I lose sight of the band. I dunno. It feels awkward. I guess I could be surprised but at first glance it just seems like a really clunky design visually.

What gets me thinking, though, are the screens. If I'm, say, nearer to the front part of the i stage, say Edge's side...and the screens are showing something, that means they will be displaying images/data to my right side/back...so I'll have to turn to see the screens? Well then I lose sight of the band. I dunno. It feels awkward. I guess I could be surprised but at first glance it just seems like a really clunky design visually.

It's this that makes me suspect they may spend a fair bit of time on the catwalk and/or the E.

I kind of feel sorry for folks going to Vancouver in one sense: it's almost impossible, unless we get some quality leaked info, to know where's going to be the ideal place to stand. A few shows into the tour and we'll know "oh they're not actually on the E that much so go for somewhere else" or "Larry stays put on the I but if you want to see the rest then the catwalk's the place to be" or whatever, but heading into Vancouver it's just one big question mark.

It's this that makes me suspect they may spend a fair bit of time on the catwalk and/or the E.

I kind of feel sorry for folks going to Vancouver in one sense: it's almost impossible, unless we get some quality leaked info, to know where's going to be the ideal place to stand. A few shows into the tour and we'll know "oh they're not actually on the E that much so go for somewhere else" or "Larry stays put on the I but if you want to see the rest then the catwalk's the place to be" or whatever, but heading into Vancouver it's just one big question mark.

That's a good point. On previous tours, no one has ever known where a prime spot is before the opening dates.

Also, from my understanding, all this hoopla is coming from fans taking the San Jose seating charts to be gospel. Has there been any source beyond that as to the placement of Red Zone/GA? If anything's to blame for this, it would be U2/their management not releasing any information, as opposed to them releasing incorrect information.

I'm going to Vancouver, but I'm 6'2". I plan to stagger in drunk at the last minute and stand wherever. :shrug:

That's a good point. On previous tours, no one has ever known where a prime spot is before the opening dates.

Also, from my understanding, all this hoopla is coming from fans taking the San Jose seating charts to be gospel. Has there been any source beyond that as to the placement of Red Zone/GA? If anything's to blame for this, it would be U2/their management not releasing any information, as opposed to them releasing incorrect information.

At least on previous tours, it was still fairly easy to assume that getting on the front rail inside the heart/ellipse/whatever meant you would be in a damn good spot for much of the show, even if somewhere else also proved to be a prime position, like the tip of the heart. This time? The I could essentially be a main stage they leave rarely, or they could barely be on it. The E could be used for half the show, or just two songs.

And no, the regular Ticketmaster map also showed the Red Zone as wings that were just at one end of a thick rectangle stretching across the GA floor. The San Jose map was just more detailed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom