Shuttlecock VI: Leo can't see from GA cause his Dad put Red Zone on the rail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, Sunday Bloody Sunday is going to be the requisite "Larry goes to the B-stage with a single drum" song on this tour, right?

I thought Bono made some comment that they wouldn't do Ordinary Love again after the Oscars or whatever? I remember thinking "yeah right". Of course Bono lies.

I'm going through the silly exercise of making a setlist prediction:

1. The Miracle
2. Out of Control
3. Vertigo
4. Elevation
5. California
6. I Will Follow
7. Iris
8. Cedarwood Road
9. Song for Someone
10. Sunday Bloody Sunday
11. Raised by Wolves
12. Until the End of the World

13. Invisible
14. Even Better than the Real Thing
15. Mysterious Ways
16. Sweetest Thing
17. Every Breaking Wave
18. Bullet the Blue Sky
19. The Troubles
20. With or Without You

21. Beautiful Day
22. Miracle Drug
23. Where the Streets Have No Name

24. Pride
25. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
26. One

I think that will probably be quite close, though I would also expect to see Desire and Ordinary Love in there.

Yeah, I can see Desire near the beginning of either of the two main sets, most logically between Real Thing and Mysterious Ways. Would love for them to drop Elevation for that.

I'm having a real tough time with the encores, mostly because I'm terrified by the idea that they're genuinely considering closing with Still Haven't Found.

Miracle Drug is going to be rotated in and out frequently, if they play it at all. I don't see it sticking around. That's where they'll find room for Desire.

Those encores are very uninspiring.

What about the idea of slightly different sets for the second night? Are they no longer thinking about it?

I'm having a real tough time with the encores, mostly because I'm terrified by the idea that they're genuinely considering closing with Still Haven't Found.

I don't know why people are surprised about ISHFWILF possibly closing. It closed main sets (either by itself or with Stand By Me) throughout the first three legs of ZooTV. It also makes sense in the context of going from innocence to experience - that for all this experience he still hasn't found what he's looking for bla bla bla.

But I concur there are plenty of better options, and I'd rather the song be dropped entirely.

And I really hope that rumoured encore of
One/WOWY/Ordinary Love
NEVER EVER COMES TO PASS.

Miracle Drug is going to be rotated in and out frequently, if they play it at all. I don't see it sticking around. That's where they'll find room for Desire.
They've been working pretty extensively on transitioning from Miracle Drug to Streets (via this reported Fields of Gold snippet, apparently), which is why I think it could end up being a staple.

They've been working pretty extensively on transitioning from Miracle Drug to Streets (via this reported Fields of Gold snippet, apparently), which is why I think it could end up being a staple.

Yep, I think they're committed to this one. I dread to think what Bono will crap on about beforehand or what lame puns he will make. "I thought I would never play again after my bike accident but live music is a miracle drug!" I should put it on U2gigs as Miracle Drug / Dad Joke (snippet).

I expect songs like Playboy Mansion, Sweetest Thing, The Ground Beneath Her Feet, and No Line on the Horizon to be rotated in and out of the set, if they get played at all. It seems they've rehearsed all four of One Step Closer, The Hands That Built America, Running to Stand Still, and The Troubles to follow Bullet - I'm interested to see which get played. I certainly hope the latter two do; One Step Closer would be a neat curiosity and nothing more; THTBA can go fucking jump.

I forgot about the Miracle Drug>Streets transition. Thing is, that song couldn't even make it through three legs of its own tour without getting axed. Maybe it'll survive a couple legs of I+E but I doubt it will commonly heard beyond leg 1. What's the audience for it?

I also see Sweetest Thing being an occasional curiosity, nothing more. It wasn't a true "regular" for Elevation and I doubt it will be a staple for I+E. I wouldn't mind hearing it once.

Last edited:
Maybe they're now realizing lulling people to sleep for several minutes by having Bono mumble a bunch of bullshit before playing a new song isn't the best strategy.

I forgot about the Miracle Drug>Streets transition. Thing is, that song couldn't even make it through three legs of its own tour without getting axed. Maybe it'll survive a couple legs of I+E but I doubt it will commonly heard beyond leg 1. What's the audience for it?

In a Little While couldn't make it past two legs of its own tour. It was then ditched after just one performance on Vertigo, making its second and final appearance that tour purely because a guest wanted to do it. Then look what happened on 360.

I also see Sweetest Thing being an occasional curiosity, nothing more. It wasn't a true "regular" for Elevation and I doubt it will be a staple for I+E.

I'm genuinely surprised Sweetest Thing hasn't had a better live career - apparently it's had something to do with Bono needing to play piano on it, but that's what Terry Lawless is for. When I was in high school, Beautiful Day was the song people first mentioned to me when discussing U2, but Sweetest Thing was second. It was a very successful single. Few other singles have had such a poor run live.

Maybe they're now realizing lulling people to sleep for several minutes by having Bono mumble a bunch of bullshit before playing a new song isn't the best strategy.

"This next song is called 'The Troubles,' but...it isn't...it isn't really about The Troubles. The Troubles that everyone, the Irish, everyone in Ireland...went through in our...native Ireland. It's...more of a...more of a metaphor, really...for...what I went through...as a boy in Ireland...my Troubles. We all have Troubles, don't we? Things that...that trouble us...every day. Maybe you can relate to this song...this song called...The Troubles."

This thread caused me to turn my place upside down this morning because I couldn't remember where I had my NYC tickets. I finally found them. :crazy:

I *thought* I was going to have to do that (or phone TM and beg for replacements) because I truly could not find them...but then over the weekend someone in the house must have found them because by late evening Sunday they were magically sitting on my dresser top. Crisis averted :whew:

Which night NY are you going to, again?

Vancouver shows are going ahead as planned. U2 might be a little jetlagged, but I'm relieved.

(Because I'm an asshole who was more concerned about the shows than sad for Larry. Not that I'm not empathetic to his loss, but shit, I don't know the guy.)

Well he was 92. Bono's father was old tween he died as well but it wasn't natural causes and seemed to be fairly traumatic for B.

Larry's a tough guy I'm sure he'll be fine.

And I really, really hope this doesn't mean Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own is going to come back to the rotation.

Yeah, it sucks when it's a beloved relative of your own, but it does feel a hell of a lot better when they've had a long life.

If
Ordinary Love
becomes the tour's default closer a la 40 or MOS...at least I could get a jump on the crowd exiting.

Agreed - OL has not weathered with me too good, I kinda liked it because I saw it as "holy crap, new U2" but now I listen and :hmm:

Invisible on the other hand has weathered quite well.

A friend just told me Bono's apparently in Seattle at the Gates Foundation Annual Meeting.

Gosh, if only I had time for a little friendly stalking. (Also, I don't know where the meeting is.)

Bono's lucky I ain't got time for that.

"This next song is called 'The Troubles,' but...it isn't...it isn't really about The Troubles. The Troubles that everyone, the Irish, everyone in Ireland...went through in our...native Ireland. It's...more of a...more of a metaphor, really...for...what I went through...as a boy in Ireland...my Troubles. We all have Troubles, don't we? Things that...that trouble us...every day. Maybe you can relate to this song...this song called...The Troubles."

:lol:

"Am I troubling you? I don't mean to trouble ya... Edge, play The Troubles."

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom