Shuttlecock VI: Leo can't see from GA cause his Dad put Red Zone on the rail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I always laugh when people who don't like the song say "well, they never quite got that one figured out," as if it's a throwaway or some shit just because it had a troubled recording history.

It's perfect. Every version of it sounds great.

I always laugh when people who don't like the song say "well, they never quite got that one figured out," as if it's a throwaway or some shit just because it had a troubled recording history.

It's perfect. Every version of it sounds great.

Every version? Not the acoustic, and I find the Temple Bar too candy-coated compared to the album version.

I don't know why U2 think they can't get WGRYWH right live. It was fucking incredible that night it returned to the setlist in Boston. I was right at the height of my obsession with the band (exhibit A: the fact I was in Boston in the first place) and completely flipped.

Without that song I might not even be a U2 fan. When I first listened to Achtung I didn't like it much, and it wasn't until I got to Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses that I was like "finally a great song". That and Ultraviolet were what ensured I revisited the album.

Ah, it was opinions like this that inspired my parody account: http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f288/my-newest-album-rattle-and-hum-144402.html :tongue:

Every version? Not the acoustic, and I find the Temple Bar too candy-coated compared to the album version.

Every version. Great chord progression, great lyrics. Tough to fuck it up.

Acoustic WGRYWH is still way better than acoustic nearly anything else by U2.

I always liked the demo versions better. It seemed to have lost something (and got a bit cheesier) in the process. Some of Edge's guitar parts in the Baby version and in the Salome outtakes are fantastic and are sorely missed in the final product.

That being said... it's still a good song. The live versions, especially from the 1st leg of ZooTV, were amazing. I wouldn't mind seeing it at all again.

I'm not going to be happy til I see that America prayer song on one of these set lists.

Said no one ever.

I'm listening to a 1st leg ZooTV show now on YouTube (Dallas) and it was such a great time for the band. They're still a bit rusty, but there's a lot of Lovetown-like improvisation there especially coming from Edge. Wild Horses is incredible.

One was spectacular at this point. The ending is extended and it's almost as good as the Tacoma version two weeks later, which is my favorite version of the song.

I think that's what I find annoying about all the people militantly responding to the criticism. One poster was like "I don't see you complaining that they played a heap of new songs and warhorses on ZooTV". It's such a stupid fucking comparison. Achtung Baby is an incredible album; SoI, even if you like it, is not in the same league. The "warhorses" hadn't been around half as long and they played their shows with a ramshackle passion. I doubt many people would be complaining if One and WOWY sounded like they did on that tour.

The cello on the introduction of Wild Horses <3

I only recently discovered this! I've only ever heard the song through car stereo, crappy headphones, Beats, low-priced speakers, etc. When I got my Sennheisers this year I woke up with Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses in my head and listened to it, and I actually heard that for the first time in the right channel. It was like hearing the song for the first time again. Amazing.

Pfft it was fun. I made a name for myself, people liked me. I got abused for my opinions (rightly, but then I got super defensive, read this for a good laugh). It was a cool way to get really into music.

You made a name for yourself on an internet message board?

Now that's a gravestone-worthy accomplishment.

You know, four years ago, I would have got really upset about that comment.

Then I got laid and haven't felt bad about posting on a message board since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom