Shuttlecock V: Sleep Like Leo Tonight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd listen to Passengers over their post 2000 output any day of the week. And no, not 'even Passengers'. Passengers is fucking gorgeous.

Hell yes.

the lyrics aren't cringe.

What? The whole concept behind the song is just weird and the lyrics come across as creepy.

I love Passengers and the band's more experimental side, but there are a few songs on the last two albums that are better than anything on Original Soundtracks. Same with the two M$H tracks.

I can't think of anything from the last two albums better than Beach Sequence or Your Blue Room.

What? The whole concept behind the song is just weird and the lyrics come across as creepy.

And? At least Bono is attempting to form some kind of bizarre extended metaphor instead of living and dying by platitudes like he's been doing.

And? At least Bono is attempting to form some kind of bizarre extended metaphor instead of living and dying by platitudes like he's been doing.

Shit platitudes vs weird concept isn't much of a choice.

The Coco dress line is unsexy because the song is about his parents, isn't it? The whole concept of the song is weird, but it's got a great chorus and the outro is cool. Would have been a good track to have on the album in my view.

And the idea that there isn't a Top 50 U2 song on this album is an insult to how good The Troubles is. That song is up there with their best. I like some of the other stuff on the album more than some of you but I can understand most of the critiques. This whole era, however, was worth it just for that song.

I love Passengers and the band's more experimental side, but there are a few songs on the last two albums that are better than anything on Original Soundtracks. Same with the two M$H tracks.

Better than Slug, Your Blue Room or Beach Sequence? Hell no. Some of the better tracks actually try to evoke that atmosphere and feel (Moment of Surrender, Sleep Like a Baby Tonight), but they don't reach those heights for me, which seem so effortless on the abovementioned songs. Not to mention that Bono's voice is infinitely better on Passengers.

I have to say - I've tried listening to The Bomb yesterday and it didn't really work out. I struggled with it as much as I did with Horizon. These albums age terribly.

And the idea that there isn't a Top 50 U2 song on this album is an insult to how good The Troubles is. That song is up there with their best. I like some of the other stuff on the album more than some of you but I can understand most of the critiques. This whole era, however, was worth it just for that song.

The Troubles and Cedarwood Road are good songs, I don't mean to rubbish SOI's better moments, but U2's catalogue is that large that I can easily find fifty better songs.

The Troubles and Cedarwood Road are good songs, I don't mean to rubbish SOI's better moments, but U2's catalogue is that large that I can easily find fifty better songs.

I concur. The fade-out hurts The Troubles a lot. It could be a great live song - if they try it. Edge could take over the Lykke Li part, although it could sound too much like Bee Gees, which is the first thing that came to mind after hearing that alternative version.

Although a recorded part in the vein of Sinead O'Connor and Your Blue Room on 360 is the likely compromise.

I have a tough time imagining Lykke Li touring as the opener (when I saw her in Philly at a 1500 seat venue she was annoyed at times that people didn't know her songs ... imagine how she'd react to an arena audience). So it'd probably be best if they have her record the vocals and maybe a video they can throw up on the screen.

The fade out bothers me, but it simply holds it back from being even better when it's already excellent.

The point of her touring with them and playing arenas would be her material would get exposed to new folks and lots of them, if that would annoy her she's in the wrong line of work.

My favorite parts of The Crystal Ballroom all come after the second chorus. I do think it's a pretty good song, especially the 7 minute long version. Would I replace any of the songs from SOI with it? Probably not but it's a nice bonus track to have. I still like Invisbile more actually.

Edit: I should clarify that it ranks around the top half of my SOI rankings (which includes the bonus tracks) but I just don't think it fits the album.

I like invisible more than the majority of the songs on the album. It's not a mind blowing amazing song or anything, and it doesn't touch their best songs (which are clearly far, far behind them at this point), but it makes for a catchier pop song more than every other attempt at a catchy pop song they made on the album.

This crystal ballroom thing? Honestly the only reason I've heard it was because afliktion shoe horned it into their DI. It was horribly out of context there, which may have hurt it a bit for me to hear it there, since I hated that list so much. But it was also so out of place that I would argue context in this case doesn't matter. The song is just lame any way you have it.

Nothing wrong with being friendly to newcomers, but when you systematically go into every single thread to issue a greeting there's something a little weird about it.

Of course, if we mentioned all the socially awkward things people here did, we'd crash the server.

me Sennheisers provided me with something nice today. was doing my (roughly) yearly listen of Achtung Baby and when Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses (what a fucking song btw) started up I was actually struck by the strings in the right ear at the start. I've never heard them so clearly before. Hell I've barely ever noticed them because they're so buried under Edge's guitar, but they came through crystal clear on my Sennheisers this morning and I just did a huge smile. A song I've heard a million times before and I heard something new this morning :)

I might join him by welcoming newcomers but actually hit on then big time.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

me Sennheisers provided me with something nice today. was doing my (roughly) yearly listen of Achtung Baby and when Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses (what a fucking song btw) started up I was actually struck by the strings in the right ear at the start. I've never heard them so clearly before. Hell I've barely ever noticed them because they're so buried under Edge's guitar, but they came through crystal clear on my Sennheisers this morning and I just did a huge smile. A song I've heard a million times before and I heard something new this morning :)

??

I heard that on the night the album came out and I listened to it on my Discman with cheap headphones.

Part of what makes that song so great is the distorted guitar in one channel and the violin in the other. Dissonance.

Close Your Eyes & Count to Fuck is so bad-ass, but I have no idea why the Rage Against the Machine guy shows up. El-P and Mike are about a million times more interesting and dynamic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom