Shuttlecock! Part VIII - If God Will Serve His Shuttles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One other thing about the title track, in the v2 version, when there's that guitar part and "Ohhhhhh" breakdown in the middle, you hear the drums building to it. Here, it's just the same beat as the rest of the song.

Doesn't make for as good of a climax.

then you'd have $1000 for every time you used it in the mirror and maybe enough to make a phone call for every time you'd used it on a real person.

Wow. I thought you understood men better. I would never say that in front of a mirror. My in front of the mirror conversation goes more like this. "No it's not a vine, baby. Yes, it's real. Sure you can touch it. In fact, why don't you give it a kiss."

Laz's post is one giant cockup.

I love the first half because it sounds like the Shuttlecock we all know and love...on fucking steroids. It's far more intense and creative than anything from the last two albums, and it coheres incredibly well. The second half is just a free-for-all, with some truly insanely excellent moments placed next to some "eh" tracks. Boots is the weakest song on the album, and I can't get into Fez just yet. It has some fantastic pieces, but they feel slapped together. In contrast, Crazy Tonight is ridiculous, but it's brilliantly arranged.

I love this album.

I actually felt the same way my first time through it. I don't think it has a definitive sense of place, but the more I listen to it the more I like the album.

I felt the same way at first.

I am now more curious than ever what Every Breaking Wave and Tripoli sound like, and wondering whether their placement in the middle of the album would have made this even better.

As am I. Given their past history, though, I doubt these will be released as B-sides. Maybe they'll be included in the next album that supposedly will be released quickly.

I'm done with listen four and starting to formulate opinions. Get excited.

Laz's post is one giant cockup.

I love the first half because it sounds like the Shuttlecock we all know and love...on fucking steroids. It's far more intense and creative than anything from the last two albums, and it coheres incredibly well. The second half is just a free-for-all, with some truly insanely excellent moments placed next to some "eh" tracks. Boots is the weakest song on the album, and I can't get into Fez just yet. It has some fantastic pieces, but they feel slapped together. In contrast, Crazy Tonight is ridiculous, but it's brilliantly arranged.

I love this album.

See, it's funny because I think Get On Your Cocks is one of the stronger tracks on here. It doesn't sound as familiar as some of the others.

The reason I probably reacted more favorably to Atomic Serve better is because I wasn't expecting so much. I was only hoping it to be marginally better than the one before it.

When you go in expecting "third masterpiece" or whatever, it's difficult to measure up to. But i have to agree with IYS at this point that five stars might be overkill. Because this is pretty far from perfect.

Oh yeah, I'll still take Mercy over anything on here.

And it totally wouldn't have been out of place, seeing as how this album sounds like their entire career put in a blender anyway.

/thread

mostly cause Mercy is the complainers trump card.

I don't think it blows away everything on here, but I still think it's the best thing they've recorded this decade.

And keep in mind, these are my first impressions. I've only listen to the first track twice.

I need to burn this and put it on the stereo, though instead of putting No Net v2 at the beginning I'll tack it on at the end.

I don't think it blows away everything on here, but I still think it's the best thing they've recorded this decade.

And keep in mind, these are my first impressions. I've only listen to the first track twice.

I need to burn this and put it on the stereo, though instead of putting No Net v2 at the beginning I'll tack it on at the end.
fuck with the ending? i understand the love for no cock 2, but seriously, the ending is brilliant.

"Courts of Lebanon" is really the only track I'm absolutely loving now. I think it's clearly the best song here. I still like the title track a lot, though.

I'm just fuckin' with you, handlebars. I do think you will like it more after a few listens though. It's a strong record. One that I am happy with.

Last few tracks still aren't completely doing it for me. White Ass Ho is fucking weaksauce, for realz.

Christ, if you guys are all listening, then I've gotta hop-on, too. No matter what the sign says.

no%20hop%20ons.jpg

What was our title for track 10? I forgot.

According to you:

No Net on the Horizon
Magnificock
Moment of Service
Unknown Racket
I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Cock Crazy Tonight
Get On Your Cocks
Stand Up Referee
Cock--Being Engorged
White As Talcum
Birdie
Courts of Lebanon

I don't know what we ever definitively landed on. We need the Piffster's Shuttlecock site already.

The opening moments of Cock Crazy are now triggering immediate thoughts of Journey's "Faithfully."

Oh noez. :huh:

Also,

"I've gotta stand up. A wire is strung between two towers."

Allusion to Man on Wire? If so, cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom