Shuttlecock! Part VIII - If God Will Serve His Shuttles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cori, you are certainly not alone. There's a whole thread full of us in Watahanna who haven't listened to it yet. :)

Oh, you haven't either? Excellent. So I've got you, martha and Carlos. I'm in respectable company.

At this point, it's almost an experiment and a test of my willpower rather than some sort of principle. Actually, it was never about principle (sorry, u2popmofo), just about wanting to hear an actual copy the way it was intended to be heard.

Eh, I'm a downloader*. But I don't download stuff I'm super excited about.

*I buy TONS of CDs, so I have no guilt in that department. But I understand why u2popmofo thinks that's not a justifiable answer, either. Beyond that, I have nothing else to say about it. I do it, I know it's not the greatest thing ever, I only have a twinge of guilt about it.

We should smoke a cigarette after the first time, me thinks?

Ew.

I mean, I listened to it on headphones. Hearing No Net v2 a bunch of times didn't help. It took forever for this version to get going. I think Boner's vocal is way better on the alt. simply because it sounds DIFFERENT. Same old same old here. I hate to start fucking with the official version so early, but these guys are long past the days of taking them at face value. Plus, the mention of "infinity" and all that makes putting the ambient version of the song as track 12 a rather fitting idea.

Also, much of this does really feel like generic Shuttlecock with window dressing by Beano and roots contributions from Fanny Slamois. The stuff on Cockropa and Poppycock felt like they were all GOING FOR IT at all times.

Next, could the word "heart" be used anymore? I think it may be on more songs here than on the last two, which would basically mean EVERY SONG. And do we have to hear singing ABOUT singing? Maybe once, but he's done it before. My god, those lyrics on Magnificock are fucking trite. And then it comes back again in BreatheCock (or whatever the fuck we're calling it). What's sad is that there is so much good writing on here, you can feel him trying to get to a more abstract place, but unable to let go of the most tired cliches imaginable, and worse, he's recycling his own shit. Hell, Unknown Server is a more existential rewrite of Fast Cocks, no? "No ID I need to know who's calling", etc.

Lastly, would it fucking KILL them to fade out a song for once? What the fuck is with everything having to be so goddamned concise? This is like the second album in a row with ZERO fades, if I'm not mistaken.

Things I do like: I didn't expect the vocal on Moment of Service to be that exciting--I thought it would be as mellow as the music. But this song STILL should have had a fade outro.

The second half REALLY outweighs the first for me at this point, which is weird. I don't really have any issues with Cock--Being Engored, White as Shuttle(?), Stand Up Cock is only occasionally cringeworthy, and Courts of Lebanon is pretty much perfect.

Does Beano just have a key on his keyboard that's labeled "Shuttlecock"? Because his celestial background synths sound the same on every song, every album, no?

I mean, I listened to it on headphones. Hearing No Net v2 a bunch of times didn't help. It took forever for this version to get going. I think Boner's vocal is way better on the alt. simply because it sounds DIFFERENT. Same old same old here. I hate to start fucking with the official version so early, but these guys are long past the days of taking them at face value. Plus, the mention of "infinity" and all that makes putting the ambient version of the song as track 12 a rather fitting idea.

Also, much of this does really feel like generic Shuttlecock with window dressing by Beano and roots contributions from Fanny Slamois. The stuff on Cockropa and Poppycock felt like they were all GOING FOR IT at all times.

Next, could the word "heart" be used anymore? I think it may be on more songs here than on the last two, which would basically mean EVERY SONG. And do we have to hear singing ABOUT singing? Maybe once, but he's done it before. My god, those lyrics on Magnificock are fucking trite. And then it comes back again in BreatheCock (or whatever the fuck we're calling it). What's sad is that there is so much good writing on here, you can feel him trying to get to a more abstract place, but unable to let go of the most tired cliches imaginable, and worse, he's recycling his own shit. Hell, Unknown Server is a more existential rewrite of Fast Cocks, no? "No ID I need to know who's calling", etc.

Lastly, would it fucking KILL them to fade out a song for once? What the fuck is with everything having to be so goddamned concise? This is like the second album in a row with ZERO fades, if I'm not mistaken.

Things I do like: I didn't expect the vocal on Moment of Service to be that exciting--I thought it would be as mellow as the music. But this song STILL should have had a fade outro.

The second half REALLY outweighs the first for me at this point, which is weird. I don't really have any issues with Cock--Being Engored, White as Shuttle(?), Stand Up Cock is only occasionally cringeworthy, and Courts of Lebanon is pretty much perfect.

I think it's probably time to realize that this is who Shuttlecock are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom