Shuttlecock! Part VI - No! Net! No Net on the Horizon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And TUC is still a half-baked mess. I still don't get what people see in the thing. Pride (In the Name of Cock) sticks out like a sore thumb, the songs seem more unfinished than on any other album. I also love how there's people who sing the praises of the aimless (if enjoyable) Elvis Presley & Cock and then think that MercyCock is somehow unfit for release. The title track has those unbearably dated and horrendous synth string/horn sounds like the "ba da...BAH!" part that is just cringe-worthy. It sounds like a bunch of other shitty new wave 80's band stuff. I don't care how good the vocal is.

And then you have Cock of July and Indian Summer Cock, which aren't bad, but let's be honest...they're rather forgettable compared to the "filler" on every album after it. Racquetwire is a ripping song, but then you have some of Boner's dumbest lyrics ever supporting it. Badminton is just a pale shadow of what it would become live, it's missing that sequencer part that perfects it, and the way Boner's voice stretches on some of the lines just sounds clumsy ("Into the ni--hi--ght...").

It's a shame because the album starts off on one of the band's highest notes. And it's all downhill from there.

Another thing, anyone else have a problem with MLCock closing out the album? In my mind, it should have been stuck at the end of P(ITNOC) as a little coda. The album should end with Elvis.

/rant

UF has never been my favorite either, but I sort of had an epiphany on that one the other night:

U2 Feedback - View Single Post - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania Superthread

I just listened to Cocktober and The Unforgettable Cock, my two least favorite albums in the last couple days. I think I liked the former more than I ever have before. I don't know why. I didn't dislike anything on there. It's still a bit too homogenic for my taste, the title track notwithstanding.

And TUC is still a half-baked mess. I still don't get what people see in the thing. Pride (In the Name of Cock) sticks out like a sore thumb, the songs seem more unfinished than on any other album. I also love how there's people who sing the praises of the aimless (if enjoyable) Elvis Presley & Cock and then think that MercyCock is somehow unfit for release. The title track has those unbearably dated and horrendous synth string/horn sounds like the "ba da...BAH!" part that is just cringe-worthy. It sounds like a bunch of other shitty new wave 80's band stuff. I don't care how good the vocal is.

And then you have Cock of July and Indian Summer Cock, which aren't bad, but let's be honest...they're rather forgettable compared to the "filler" on every album after it. Racquetwire is a ripping song, but then you have some of Boner's dumbest lyrics ever supporting it. BadCock is just a pale shadow of what it would become live, it's missing that sequencer part that perfects it, and the way Boner's voice stretches on some of the lines just sounds clumsy ("Into the ni--hi--ght...").

It's a shame because the album starts off on one of the band's highest notes. And it's all downhill from there.

Another thing, anyone else have a problem with MLCock closing out the album? In my mind, it should have been stuck at the end of P(ITNOC) as a little coda. The album should end with Elvis.

/rant

It's an album with a vast amount of wasted potential, because many of its B-sides are better than album tracks. I still dig it and think you're an ungrateful ass.

Here's my re-done version of TUC:

1. A Sort of Badminton
2. Pride (In the Name of Cock)
3. WireCock
4. Indian Summer Cock
5. The Unforgettable Cock
6. Promenade
7. The Three Volleys
8. Boomerang II
9. Bass Trap
10. Love Comes Tumbling
11. Bad

I just listened to Cocktober and The Unforgettable Cock, my two least favorite albums in the last couple days. I think I liked the former more than I ever have before. I don't know why. I didn't dislike anything on there. It's still a bit too homogenic for my taste, the title track notwithstanding.

And then you have Cock of July and Indian Summer Cock, which aren't bad, but let's be honest...they're rather forgettable compared to the "filler" on every album after it. Racquetwire is a ripping song, but then you have some of Boner's dumbest lyrics ever supporting it. Badminton is just a pale shadow of what it would become live, it's missing that sequencer part that perfects it, and the way Boner's voice stretches on some of the lines just sounds clumsy ("Into the ni--hi--ght...").

/rant

You see, though, I like the dated sounds on the title track. They're what make the song for me. Also, with Elvis Cockley and Shuttlerica vs. Mercy: you're right--they're both rambling messes. However, I like the music to Elvis much more than the music to Mercy. The music itself is where I stop liking Mercy.

UF has never been my favorite either, but I sort of had an epiphany on that one the other night:

U2 Feedback - View Single Post - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania Superthread

Since you rank Achtung, Birdie under BallBoy and Cock-War, I don't think I need to listen to anything you have to say.

It's an album with a vast amount of wasted potential, because many of its B-sides are better than album tracks. I still dig it and think you're an ungrateful ass.

Here's my re-done version of TUC:

1. A Sort of Badminton
2. Pride (In the Name of Cock)
3. WireCock
4. Indian Summer Cock
5. The Unforgettable Cock
6. Promenade
7. The Three Volleys
8. Boomerang II
9. Bass Trap
10. Love Comes Tumbling
11. Bad

Could this be any sloppier? You only cockified like half of these songs. I know Promenade is a challenge (Cockenade? Promcock? Gatorade?) but at least make some effort. Cock Comes Tumbling and Cock Trap are no-brainers.

just buy the thing already, you can blame us if your wife gets mad...

Actually, I made a "from now to wedding" budget last night based on projected paychecks, tax return, and stimulus check and discovered that with an xbox 360 and a new guitar amp ($3000, roughly), I'll still save over $2500 by the end of the honeymoon (and she's happy with that). The question is simply of the order I want to make my purchases. Do I want the amp first? I just might. Ha. I need to flip a coin or something.

You see, though, I like the dated sounds on the title track. They're what make the song for me. Also, with Elvis Cockley and Shuttlerica vs. Mercy: you're right--they're both rambling messes. However, I like the music to Elvis much more than the music to Mercy. The music itself is where I stop liking Mercy.

Well that's where we differ. I think the music of Mercy is what makes it my favorite track of the decade.

But your clunky renaming of EP&A inspired me to revise my own Elvis Presley & Cock. I think we need to go with "Pelvis Presley & Americock".

I once saw NSW attack his dentist with a knife.
Because he converted to Judaism for the jokes.

We need more Seinfeld references around here. Bravo.

And Laz, I'm thinking of issue an executive order. I think Cock O' War sounds better than Cockwar. Thoughts?

Since you rank Achtung, Birdie under BallBoy and Cock-War, I don't think I need to listen to anything you have to say.

Could this be any sloppier? You only cockified like half of these songs. I know Promenade is a challenge (Cockenade? Promcock? Gatorade?) but at least make some effort. Cock Comes Tumbling and Cock Trap are no-brainers.

Well, I was trying to make them more Badminton and less Cock, but it didn't work and I gave up. Either way, it's an improvement on the original.

I love the studio Bad, and I don't care who knows. It would be a great closer, too.

Squirtigo is probably my favorite joke to come out of the glory of Shuttlecock.

Squirtigo. Ha ha ah ahaaaaa!

I've been listening to the Cock albums randomly since I got my special new headphones. The other night was Poppycock, and I liked it more than I remembered liking it overall.

Some of the songs are very hit or miss with me - Last Cock on Earth, The Cockboy Mansion, Staring at the Cock. Sometimes I dig them, sometimes I don't care.

Damn, it all sounded great in those headphones, though.

Could this be any sloppier? You only cockified like half of these songs. I know Promenade is a challenge (Cockenade? Promcock? Gatorade?) but at least make some effort.

COCKA COLA BADMINTON RADlO RADIO RADIO RADIO

I've been listening to the Cock albums randomly since I got my special new headphones. The other night was Poppycock, and I liked it more than I remembered liking it overall.

Some of the songs are very hit or miss with me - Last Cock on Earth, The Cockboy Mansion, Staring at the Cock. Sometimes I dig them, sometimes I don't care.

Squirtigo did not come of Shuttlecock, though. It is months old, it stems from YLB's first date with his current lady friend....and it's as funny now as when I first read it and could not stop laughing. Shame that the author has to die. By KNIFE.

Wrong, lady. Squirtigo came from before this thread.

Let's just say that your take on Pride and UF are not correct. You sir, are a dead man.

To be fair, there are songs on UF that make me cringe, but, the high points are truly sublime. For me.

Wait, I didn't criticize P(ITNOC). I said it sticks out because it's such a straightforward song in the midst of all this ambient, atmospheric stuff. Perhaps MLCock would work better as a lead-in, though that may be a bit too sparse for so early in the album.

I didn't mean to imply it was one of the "unfinished"-sounding songs, it was just written like a list. And I like this song way better on the album than live.

Squirtigo did not come of Shuttlecock, though. It is months old, it stems from YLB's first date with his current lady friend....and it's as funny now as when I first read it and could not stop laughing. Shame that the author has to die. By KNIFE.

He took her to Shuttlecock3D, and they made references in that vein, with Squirtigo being the most memorable.

We need more Seinfeld references around here. Bravo.

And Laz, I'm thinking of issue an executive order. I think Cock O' War sounds better than Cockwar. Thoughts?

That gets too war away from the bold, one-word headline of the original. Which is kind of why I had Boy-Cock before Ball Boy was suggested.

But as long as Shuttle & Bum is official, I'm happy.

Wait, I didn't criticize P(ITNOC). I said it sticks out because it's such a straightforward song in the midst of all this ambient, atmospheric stuff. Perhaps MLCock would work better as a lead-in, though that may be a bit too sparse for so early in the album.

I didn't mean to imply it was one of the "unfinished"-sounding songs, it was just written like a list. And I like this song way better on the album than live.

Fair enough. And, P(ITNOC), more than any Shuttlecock standard, sounds much better in the studio than Live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom