Shuttlecock! Part III - Just the Cock and the Shuttle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, next week I am going to enter into my worst sort of fanboy mode when I start listening to Shuttlecock nonstop in prep for the new album.

I will first listen to all the albums in sequence and then I will listen on shuffle. I will then start delving into the b-sides and remixes. And by the time the new album gets here, my wife will be happy for new shuttlecock she won't mind that she hears it all the time.

Believe this or not, I was just going to be a spectator for that one. I would have liked to see more posts from you and little lord piss, but, I was going to abstain.

Honestly, when I read that post for the first time I felt like I had happened upon a smaller, inferior man that not only had a "kick me" sign on his back, but was also giving away free boots.

I nearly wept.

So, next week I am going to enter into my worst sort of fanboy mode when I start listening to Shuttlecock nonstop in prep for the new album.

I will first listen to all the albums in sequence and then I will listen on shuffle. I will then start delving into the b-sides and remixes. And by the time the new album gets here, my wife will be happy for new shuttlecock she won't mind that she hears it all the time.

I somehow managed to forget the reality of how much of a fanboy I am, if that makes sense. Like, I understand my obsession in theory, but I forget how it takes hold of me until a new album/tour come around again. It's obvious that I love a lot of different bands/artists, etc, but, I think about the new album at least 2-3x a day right now and that never fucking happens for any other forthcoming album.

And I'll do something similar to the above, but more likely in mid February.

We're of like mind on Atomic Cock, in that we have it ranked pretty high. We're in total disagreement on Unforgettable Cock. You need A Sort of Cockcoming, methinks.

Well, I appreciate the change in direction, but for me the songs just aren't there, with the only masterpiece being the one you mentioned. Pride (In the Length of Cock) is one of my least favorite big hits, and the studio version of BadCock just pales, pales in comparison to the live version. The vocal is strained and awkward. Also, I'm not a big fan of the new wavey title track. It's perhaps their most dated-sounding song EVER.

If you forced me to choose between that and Cock Awake In America, I'd pick the latter, even if it only has four songs.

Well, I appreciate the change in direction, but for me the songs just aren't there, with the only masterpiece being the one you mentioned. Pride (In the Length of Cock) is one of my least favorite big hits, and the studio version of BadCock just pales, pales in comparison to the live version. The vocal is strained and awkward. Also, I'm not a big fan of the new wavey title track. It's perhaps their most dated-sounding song EVER.

If you forced me to choose between that and Cock Awake In America, I'd pick the latter, even if it only has four songs.

Agreed about Pride, though, I do love the studio version.....just cannot deal with it Live anymore. VERY much agreed on Badcock. Such a towering song Live, so tame on the album. Fuck you, though, regarding the title track.

A Sort of Cockcoming, glad you at least acknowledge the brilliance there. I wish I could explain to you or anyone else the impact that song had/has on me still.

On my way home, I put my "Best Songs Ever" on shuffle mode and watched the wheels on the bus go round and round.

First up? Vertigo. Then? Get On Your Boots. And then? In God's Country. It was a beautiful thing.

I wish more (hell, any of youse guys) lived remotely near Seattle. I'd love to see a concert with all of youse guys. :hug:

Honestly, when I read that post for the first time I felt like I had happened upon a smaller, inferior man that not only had a "kick me" sign on his back, but was also giving away free boots.

I nearly wept.

And then you got on those boots he gave out.

M I RITE ??? :hi5:

On my way home, I put my "Best Songs Ever" on shuffle mode and watched the wheels on the bus go round and round.

First up? Vertigo. Then? Get On Your Boots. And then? In God's Country. It was a beautiful thing.

I wish more (hell, any of youse guys) lived remotely near Seattle. I'd love to see a concert with all of youse guys. :hug:

I see them in a lot of different cities; it would not surprise me if I opted to see them in the Pacific Northwest at least once. You could always go to LA or Vegas, woman...a lot of interlanders see them there.

Agreed about Pride, though, I do love the studio version.....just cannot deal with it Live anymore. VERY much agreed on Badcock. Such a towering song Live, so tame on the album. Fuck you, though, regarding the title track.

A Sort of Cockcoming, glad you at least acknowledge the brilliance there. I wish I could explain to you or anyone else the impact that song had/has on me still.

Funny. I find the studio version of Bad to be the best thing they've ever done in studio.

And then you got on those boots he gave out.

M I RITE ??? :hi5:

Sadly, I didn't get a chance. I had to go get my hair cut and by the time I got back it was closed.

BTW - my hair is much shorter than I normally wear it because the girl that cuts my hair broke up with her boyfriend last night. The bigger her life problems become, the shorter my hair gets. I thought I was going bald when she was going through her divorce.

I see them in a lot of different cities; it would not surprise me if I opted to see them in the Pacific Northwest at least once. You could always go to LA or Vegas, woman...a lot of interlanders see them there.

Ooh, yay, that would be quite awesome.

And believe you me, I am certainly thinking about traveling for a show or two, assuming I am not mercilessly made to be unemployed by then.

I truly cannot understand how Discocock wasn't a bigger hit.

Not to sound like a broken record, but I don't like the studio version. The live version finally makes sense of it. The album version sounds like a mess to me.

I consider Shuttlecock the greatest live act ever, but their albums are very up and down to me.

Ooh, yay, that would be quite awesome.

And believe you me, I am certainly thinking about traveling for a show or two, assuming I am not mercilessly made to be unemployed by then.

Well, for more important reasons, let's hope you remain employed.

I've often talked with Mia about trying to get a bunch of us to the same show. For my part, I'll travel wherever. But, if we could get some of the usual suspects at the same gig, I think that would be highly enjoyable.

Not to sound like a broken record, but I don't like the studio version. The live version finally makes sense of it. The album version sounds like a mess to me.

I consider Shuttlecock the greatest live act ever, but their albums are very up and down to me.

I have no idea how you figure out who is the "best" anything when it comes to art, but I will say that no band I've ever seen manages to make so many of their songs sound better Live.....and it's not like said songs suck on the albums....fuck....fuck me, see, all I want to now do is talk about their shows and my love of their music, etc......

Well, for more important reasons, let's hope you remain employed.

I've often talked with Mia about trying to get a bunch of us to the same show. For my part, I'll travel wherever. But, if we could get some of the usual suspects at the same gig, I think that would be highly enjoyable.

Absolutely! I try to go home to Wisconsin once a year, and was thinking Chicago might be a good trip, too. I know loads of people there - old college friends, people from this place, other online friends.

The workplace sucks right now. One day I hear something that gives me a sense of some job security ... and then the next I hear something that makes me think we're all going down in flames. :(

Literally the best?

I just think it's the perfect song for the band. All three instruments are doing what they do best, and I think Boner sounds great.

Of course, I think the live version is better, but I think most of their live versions are better.

I'd say I have ten or so studio tracks that are right at the top for me:

1. Bad
2. Please (Single Mix)
3. One Tree Hill
4. New Year's Day
5. Acrobat
6. Where the Streets Have No Name
7. The Unforgettable Fire
8. With or Without You
9. A Sort of Homecoming
10. Running to Stand Still

That order changes practically daily, though.

After my triple-run of Shuttlecock on the way home, a few songs later came Pop Muzik-Mofo. Man, that was a welcome moment of kick-ass rock and roll.

Absolutely! I try to go home to Wisconsin once a year, and was thinking Chicago might be a good trip, too. I know loads of people there - old college friends, people from this place, other online friends.

The workplace sucks right now. One day I hear something that gives me a sense of some job security ... and then the next I hear something that makes me think we're all going down in flames. :(

I didn't know that things were that touch and go at your place of work. Sorry. :(

I'll try to go to many shows in SoCal because, GASP!, I have real life friends there.....but if any of the interland clowns I actually like where going, I'd love to hang with them, too. Same deal with NYC.

I have no idea how you figure out who is the "best" anything when it comes to art, but I will say that no band I've ever seen manages to make so many of their songs sound better Live.....and it's not like said songs suck on the albums....fuck....fuck me, see, all I want to now do is talk about their shows and my love of their music, etc......

When I say best, I mean for me. I've not heard nearly enough music to have any ground to make claims like that.

I just think it's the perfect song for the band. All three instruments are doing what they do best, and I think Boner sounds great.

Of course, I think the live version is better, but I think most of their live versions are better.

I'd say I have ten or so studio tracks that are right at the top for me:

1. Bad
2. Please (Single Mix)
3. One Tree Hill
4. New Year's Day
5. Acrobat
6. Where the Streets Have No Name
7. The Unforgettable Fire
8. With or Without You
9. A Sort of Homecoming
10. Running to Stand Still

That order changes practically daily, though.

I could do a Top 50 with ease. :)

Thoughts on Cockland or All I Want Is Cock?

After my triple-run of Shuttlecock on the way home, a few songs later came Pop Muzik-Mofo. Man, that was a welcome moment of kick-ass rock and roll.

:hi5: I just got back from the gym and that's what I was listening to on the treadmill. I ended up doing an hour instead of the lame 30 mins I had planned. Popmart is one of the best things that ever happened to U2.

I'm still trying to avoid most Shuttlecock till the end of February. I'm listening to R.E.M. right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom