Shuttlecock IV: The Doubles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
there was a banner at the top of the Lemonade Stand forum for Nickleback tickets, I just threw up a bit in my mouth.

Those banners are based on your internet searches...I've never had a Nickelback ad banner....currently looking at a hotels.com banner (been hunting for a place to stay for the annual Disney hell trip)...so anything you want to confess to??

:wink:

Sure, if it means that already-difficult-to-get tickets will now be even more difficult due to an influx of crazed U2 fans. And a GA situation made all the more obnoxious by an influx of crazed U2 fans.

I get it.

But if you're talking about the discussion about "acoustic" or whatever, then I have no comment.

I think acoustic 4th of july could be done with all 4 members of the band just blowing into microphones and Bono running his finger across the top of a wine glass.

I'd actually have less of an issue with them doing stuff like acoustic Mofo - which requires some level of reinvention - than tired acoustic balads. This was the approach that made those 1990s MTV unplugged stuff good. Obviously I still prefer the electric versions, but if you are doing acoustics, make it different at least.

I compare U2 more to The Rolling Stones due to both having longevity as a active bands. If you compare where the two were, and are, 34 years after their debut albums, Boy 1980 and The Rolling Stones (UK title)/England's Newest Hit Makers (US) 1964.. The Stones had released Bridges to Babylon in 1997, and of course with U2 we have Songs.. Did anyone care about Bridges in 1997? I vaguely recall a press conference shown on MTV but most people really cared about the next time the Stones were going on tour. I don't think U2 have reached that type of act yet where the general public only cares about their tour and going to see the hits. I mean, I am sure some do. But with U2 it's more admirable that they really do focus on their new albums.

Let's be clear: no one gave a fuck about Voodoo Lounge either, even with that cool video for Love Is Strong.

Ultimately, there's no Stones album after Tattoo You that could even remotely considered relevant. Most of them had a decent single to promote but failed to make a splash beyond it. And I'd even argue that Tattoo You, despite being entertaining, is garbage compared to even U2's weakest work of the 2000s (whatever album you may think that is).

Tattoo You lines up very neatly with Pop as the 17th year of each band, and I think it's pretty clear what the difference is: one band was recycling leftovers*, and the other was still trying new things. Tattoo You was a huge success, but it left them with nothing aside from a big tour and a lot of money. By comparison, the perceived failure of Pop and its tour led to the band having a huge comeback with ATYCLB, something the Stones were never able to do (see Undercover from 1983 or Dirty Work from 1996).

*from Wiki, in case you're not familiar with the album:

Tattoo You is an album primarily composed of outtakes from previous recording sessions, some dating back a decade, with new vocals and overdubs. Along with two new songs, the Rolling Stones put together this collection to have a new album to promote for their worldwide American Tour 1981/European Tour 1982 beginning that September. Guitarist Keith Richards commented in 1993:

"The thing with Tattoo You wasn't that we'd stopped writing new stuff, it was a question of time. We'd agreed we were going to go out on the road and we wanted to tour behind a record. There was no time to make a whole new album and make the start of the tour."[1]

I thought Bono sounded good on that Every Breaking Wave performance at the EMAs. And that was probably the most I've ever enjoyed that little "bridge" section of the song, with Larry coming on and the song building to the release of the final chorus. Good stuff.

Then again, I think it's a good tune. I know not all of you feel the same. Let's all still kick it together.

I also saw a bit of Nicki Minaj's performance. I like her, I think she's got a pretty good sense of humor, but her new songs don't impress me much. Unintentional Shania reference there.

Back
Top Bottom